• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

All These Ex-Rangers in the Playoffs

skunkman

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the right moves were made. I for one am happy they took the dying horse out back and did what they had to do rather than trying to ride the broken pony until it was too late to win anything & too late to get assets in trades for worthless players.

Sucks watching other teams succeed but at the end of the day the right choices were made for once within this organization. We should be happy about that and have faith that they can draft guys like the ones were watching again or better.

• Like 1

Honestly it doesn’t bother me. I mean we swung for the fences for like 5 straight years. We didn’t win but it was nice being a long term contender. I’m happy we decided to rebuild which is not easy for many fan but it was the right move. The truth is if Macdonagh miller win that means we have another first, if Dallas does well we get another, hopefully the jets get swept lol. I liked all those guys but we did well with those trades and can still benefit if most of them have a good playoff run so I will cheer for them
  • Like 1

Honestly it doesn’t bother me. I mean we swung for the fences for like 5 straight years. We didn’t win but it was nice being a long term contender. I’m happy we decided to rebuild which is not easy for many fan but it was the right move. The truth is if Macdonagh miller win that means we have another first, if Dallas does well we get another, hopefully the jets get swept lol. I liked all those guys but we did well with those trades and can still benefit if most of them have a good playoff run so I will cheer for them

Exactly.

Still kinda hard to swallow.

Yeah I know, we are rebuilding.

It's all good Skunk!! I wish them the best! We're headed back in a few years....hang in there my man!! BUT ....when we get back, we're coming back loaded for bear, Brother!!!! Happy #2 pick my good man!!!! =)

I think the only reason we didn't win a cup during that era was because we were missing that one gamebreaker type elite player. We've seen some guys that were supporting cast members win a cup and we have a bunch of other good former players on cup contenders now. If we had a Kappo or a Jack Hughes on those teams I think we win a cup. Now, we are going to get that type of talent. It'll take a few years but I am fully confident we can build the same kind of supporting cast around this type of talent agian.

I think the only reason we didn't win a cup during that era was because we were missing that one gamebreaker type elite player. We've seen some guys that were supporting cast members win a cup and we have a bunch of other good former players on cup contenders now. If we had a Kappo or a Jack Hughes on those teams I think we win a cup. Now, we are going to get that type of talent. It'll take a few years but I am fully confident we can build the same kind of supporting cast around this type of talent agian.

Yeah im not complaining we came close. My only issue is that we should of started the rebuild a year earlier. For example I would of traded yandle and stepan earlier and gotten more value

Yeah im not complaining we came close. My only issue is that we should of started the rebuild a year earlier. For example I would of traded yandle and stepan earlier and gotten more value

maybe, but it's tough to start that rebuild when you are still a playoff team. 2016 they were coming off of going to game 7 of the ECF. Obvously we got smoked in the first round that year and in 2017 we underachieved in the playoffs which was I think the signal that was needed.

Looking at every cup winner for the last while, every single winner had some kind of elite talent taken at the top of a draft

09, 16, 17- Crosby Malkin Fluery

10, 13, 15 - Kane Toews

11- Seguin (less important to that team, he was a rookie but still)

12, 14 - Doughty, Kopitar

18-Ovi, Backstrom

While maybe we could've rebuilt earlier, I don't think we end up being bad enough pick that high anyway. Now we got our top pick. This will be an organizationally transforming pick for us

I say it in every (talk about the past) thread but 2014 was the year. Destiny after MSL?s mom died...the comeback vs the Pens the epic series vs. MTL and then they choked away leads in games 1 and 2 in LA. (Refs did them no favors either). They had it and it slipped away.

That will burn me forever unless they win a Cup again.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

My view is different from the rest of the posters. The 14 and 15 teams were not old. If we played it right, we would have been contenders for longer. The surfeit of ex-Rangers in the playoffs 5 years later is evidence of that. Two years ago people were talking about Tampa's and Washington's "windows of opportunity" fast closing and they either would be too cap squeezed or too old yada yada. So much for that. Their periods of contention will end up longer than ours was, and there is no reason we could not have had that as well. OK, you all can slam me now and then go back to marveling at Lias Andersson and Brent Howden.