• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

All These Ex-Rangers in the Playoffs

skunkman

I can't speak for everyone else and parts of you are right Sod - seeing all of these ex-Rangers in the playoffs is evidence that we didn't need to blow it up and get to where we are now...the front office could have done a better job managing their players.

Letting Stralman walk to pick up Dan fucking Boyle was...stupid. Dan Boyle retired after putting up poor numbers for us, and Stralman is a defensive stalwart.

There were lots of decisions like the above that were made that took apart the 14 and 15 teams. So Sod, you're right to a certain extent - the Rangers could have kept that core together a bit better. The front office could have made better personnel decisions. Because they didn't, hindsight comes into play and in a 4-5 year retrospect, where we ended up now, picking #2 in the NHL entry draft for the first time in franchise history...is...acceptable.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me again how our number one franchise defensman is playing in his prime for another team? That is the one that pisses me off the most.

All the other moves I can live with.

Because his prime is coming to a close and our team isn't a playoff team, even with him.

The only ex-Rangers who should are any playing for Tampa, because it means getting another first-round pick. Dallas can make the Conference Final, to give the Rangers another first-round pick. I want four first-round picks.

The only ex-Rangers who should are any playing for Tampa, because it means getting another first-round pick. Dallas can make the Conference Final, to give the Rangers another first-round pick. I want four first-round picks.

About to write just this. I'd be happy for Zucc if they lost in the Stanley Cup Final to TB

If by some chance this does happen, there are so many different directions they can take this thing. Would they:

A) Keep them all

B) Trade up

C) Trade for defense

D) Use them to try and get out of a couple of contracts early (Shattenkirk, Smith)

E) ???

My view is different from the rest of the posters. The 14 and 15 teams were not old. If we played it right, we would have been contenders for longer. The surfeit of ex-Rangers in the playoffs 5 years later is evidence of that. Two years ago people were talking about Tampa's and Washington's "windows of opportunity" fast closing and they either would be too cap squeezed or too old yada yada. So much for that. Their periods of contention will end up longer than ours was, and there is no reason we could not have had that as well. OK, you all can slam me now and then go back to marveling at Lias Andersson and Brent Howden.
Nice to have a ovie or a stamkos though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tell me again how our number one franchise defensman is playing in his prime for another team? That is the one that pisses me off the most.

Perhaps we didnt want another Staal or hank contract for a player who's play was not improving the last year and half while he was a ranger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I understand what.you are saying,but it we kept him we aren't going.to the playoffs and maybe we would not be in a position to be drafting #2

I think the only reason we didn't win a cup during that era was because we were missing that one gamebreaker type elite player. We've seen some guys that were supporting cast members win a cup and we have a bunch of other good former players on cup contenders now. If we had a Kappo or a Jack Hughes on those teams I think we win a cup. Now, we are going to get that type of talent. It'll take a few years but I am fully confident we can build the same kind of supporting cast around this type of talent agian.

Time will tell. I decided awhile ago that the pressure in NY is so severe that there really has to be that Crosby, Ovechkin, Messier-esque guy who has shoulders big enough to take the team on his back and almost single-handedly drag it across the line. I'm not convinced that either Kappo or Hughes is that guy. The competing theory is that with a strong enough supporting cast - including some elite talent like Kappo and Hughes - you can do it. I would put the 13-14 team and the early 70's teams in that category (with Park, the GAG line, a 2nd line - the unheralded "Bulldog Line" - that was nearly as good during a few years). To great heartache, they couldn't get it done. So I'm skeptical, but still hopeful.

I understand what.you are saying,but it we kept him we aren't going.to the playoffs and maybe we would not be in a position to be drafting #2

Ok, this makes sense, and am delighted to get our number two pick, if Gorty does not go off the board with it!

If he goes off The board we'll send you there to give him the skunk treatment

Im surprised there is so much fear they will go off the board at 2. It's not like in the past when we were picking 7 or 9. I know everyone think Lias was a reach pick but im pretty sure the Kings were gonna take him a few picks later. Kravstov was a pick where the analysts underrated him because he wasnt getting much playing time until the playoffs where he tore it up and now he is one of the top prospects from that draft. I dont see how Clark or Gorton pass on Kakko/Hughes. There is no way I see that happening