• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pronman: Why Kaapo Kakko could be considered with the No. 1 pick in the NHL draft

Morphinity 2.0

https://theathletic.com/902206/2019/04/08/pronman-why-kaapo-kakko-could-be-considered-with-the-no-1-pick-in-the-nhl-draft/?redirected=1

Kaapo​ Kakko has been phenomenal in​ Finland​ for​ the past two years, establishing himself​ as​​ a premier prospect for the 2019 NHL Draft.

Today we?ll look at why he?s in the conversation as one of the top two in this draft class, why some teams would consider him with the No. 1 pick and what he brings to an NHL team.

I?ve seen highly skilled players like Kakko before. What I don?t typically see are 17-year-old forwards with his skill who can win pucks from grown men consistently.

He?s not exactly an overly mean type of physical player, nor is he what you think of as a ?power forward? from prior decades. But he?s strong and shows no hesitation to get into the dirty areas. He?s also not doing this because he filled out early. He?s 6-foot-2 and 194 pounds. There is still room to fill out in his frame.

Kakko?s ability to make highly skilled plays with the puck is high-end, if not elite. He?s got the ability to make the flashy dekes to create chances.

Kakko is a top prospect because he has so many high-end elements. I?ve talked to scouts who feel his compete level is his best trait, scouts who feel his hands are his best trait, as well as scouts who feel his hockey sense is his best trait.

Ignore the title. This is an excellent profile on Kakko. It's basically erotica for Rangers fans right now.

I find myself worrying Kakko is going to have a really strong grown-up Worlds and change Shero's mind.

For reasons I can't explain I feel more comfortable picking him over Hughes.

Its probably his strength at his age, while Hughes looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over. Hughes looks far more electric/dynamic though with his superb skating and puck handling.

Its probably his strength at his age, while Hughes looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over. Hughes looks far more electric/dynamic though with his superb skating and puck handling.

I think seeing players like Panarin, Gaudreau, Kane, Zucc - size doesn't really matter as much in the calculus anymore. A speedy, skilled, small player can be really damned effective in today's NHL.

Well, that's part of it. Also the fact the Rangers need goalscoring more than probably anything else. Hughes is definitely a pass first type of guy.

I guess I just like the complete package Kakko appears to be.

I find myself worrying Kakko is going to have a really strong grown-up Worlds and change Shero's mind.

For reasons I can't explain I feel more comfortable picking him over Hughes.

I'm hanging my hat at this point on the fact that Shero used to be Daddy Jim Hughes's agent, so he has a strong family connection, and the fact that Jack has been skating with Taylor Hall in summer the last couple years. Flimsy hooks indeed, but it's all I got for now.

I'm hanging my hat at this point on the fact that Shero used to be Daddy Jim Hughes's agent, so he has a strong family connection, and the fact that Jack has been skating with Taylor Hall in summer the last couple years. Flimsy hooks indeed, but it's all I got for now.

Before 8pm yesterday, if they said your consolation prize is Jack Hughes, would you be upset? Let's not minimize (pun intended) how good Hughes is just because we feel that Kakko is more likely to be ours. Hughes is a stud.

Before 8pm yesterday, if they said your consolation prize is Jack Hughes, would you be upset? Let's not minimize (pun intended) how good Hughes is just because we feel that Kakko is more likely to be ours. Hughes is a stud.

Don't get me wrong. We would have a game changer with either. But, like others on here, have thought for awhile now Kappo would be a supernatural fit with the gestalt that Quinn is building.

Don't get me wrong. We would have a game changer with either. But, like others on here, have thought for awhile now Kappo would be a supernatural fit with the gestalt that Quinn is building.

I don't disagree but if the Devils decide to take Kakko we still have a huge win with Hughes. I was pumped last night. Today I'm still giddy! What a dramatic turn of events for us!

I like Kakko more because he's thicc, but Hughes would solve the C question, no doubt.

Everything here.

I know small isn't a pejorative anymore (or won't be for much longer), but I'm predisposed to that bigger frame on a hockey player, for sure. Especially if it doesn't come at the expense of being able to keep up.

The NHL Scouting Combine is usually run in the end of May beginning of June. I know with the NFL one, players can really raise/drop their stocks tremendously based on their performances. Does the same hold true in the NHL one or does their on-ice performance/film outweigh everything that's done at the combine?

The NHL Scouting Combine is usually run in the end of May beginning of June. I know with the NFL one, players can really raise/drop their stocks tremendously based on their performances. Does the same hold true in the NHL one or does their on-ice performance/film outweigh everything that's done at the combine?

Im no expert, but I feel the combine is much more important in the NBA. Never really heard anyone drop or rise much because of it in the NHL. Atleast not in the top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk