Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Moderator BSBH Prospect

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Not talent-wise, although it's not totally outrageous because Kakko is a generational talent, but I think style-wise, Jagr probably is the best comparison for his game. But with defense actually. His offensive style and what he wants to do in the offensive zone is Jagr. Hands, strength, shooting ability, IQ, vision. It's all there.

I'm actually really hoping he doesn't have a huge showing at World's just so the Devil don't get tempted. I like Kakko over Hughes by a wide margin. Hughes has tons of talent, but is small, weak, injury prone, less proven, not a two way player and will take much longer to adapt to the NHL.
    Injury prone? To my knowledge he hasnít had any more injuries than Kakko. As far as generational....Iím not sure what the standard is then.

Mcdavid is generational, Matthews is close. Kakko is not generational.

All Comparisons of Kakko are of Laine, just 4 inches shorter. The other comparison i read is Barkov.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Last edited by Puck Head; 04-10-2019 at 05:02 AM.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'm not ready to think either these guys are Crosby/McD/Matthews territory. Probably more Kane/Laine.
    That's what the Pronman's and Wheelers are saying.
    2 excellent young players who will contribute a lot to their franchises. But not in the generational tier necessarily.

I'm absolutely over the moon with this. We'll get a fantastic player either way. And whilst I understand the fear of Rangers reaching and going off the board, to my memory they have never done something comparable to passing on Kakko/Hughes at #2 this year. It is such a clear divide between two elite prospects and a 7 or 8 good ones. Passing on one of those guys would be insane. I mean, it would be comparable to something like Buffalo taking Barrett Hayton at #1 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post

All Comparisons of Kakko are of Laine, just 4 inches shorter. The other comparison i read is Barkov.

He's very different from Laine going by what I've read. Plays a very complete game, isn't seen as a sniper but scores his goals from going hard to the net and playing smart.
    Barkov might be a better comparison style wise although I haven't really read much at all about Kakko's defensive game.

Also, this just in from Pronman:

Pronman’s take: In Kakko, the Rangers get as close to an NHL ready forward as you’ll typically get as a U18 player. Kakko is a highly skilled and competitive winger who will create chances and win battles versus NHL defenders right away. He could step in and be a top-nine, if not a top-six, forward immediately and down the road a star. He’s exactly what their rebuild needed: a true impact prospect they can build around.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    How can there be two generational talents every year? LMAO.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    How can there be two generational talents every year? LMAO.
    I get your point, but let's not pretend it doesn't happen on occasion. The 04 and 05 drafts produced three generational talents between them

This one reads more to me like two great, elite players, possibly franchise defining, but not generational.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I get your point, but let's not pretend it doesn't happen on occasion. The 04 and 05 drafts produced three generational talents between them

This one reads more to me like two great, elite players, possibly franchise defining, but not generational.
    i settle for this

Can't you only have one generational talent per generation?

Somebodyy could usurp the previous anointee, for sure, but if you claim multiple generational talents, it's paradoxical, it just can't be the case.

Obviously all semantics, but can't we just call them elite?

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    This draft could potentially be enormous if things continue to go our way
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Midget Division
    You guys think chytil will be moved back to center now? Already have kakko, kravtsov, buch, kreids.

Man I cant wait to see this team in 2-3 years.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    [QUOTE=Dunny;963770]
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH1962 View Post

Yeah, now I'm worried about that.

They drafted a kid in the 90's in first round who blew his knee out after his second week in the AHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=26836

Stefan, Yakupov, Daigle, Brendl.

Nothing is a given.

One time. One fucking time, I pray this works out. It has to work out.
    Cherapanov

Wow, yes, how did I forget that. Thanks?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Holy ping pong balls Batman! The Rangers get lucky. Super excited.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division
    This is great and can't wait for the draft and free agency
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Injury prone? To my knowledge he hasnít had any more injuries than Kakko. As far as generational....Iím not sure what the standard is then.

Mcdavid is generational, Matthews is close. Kakko is not generational.

Not sure where you saw that.

Everything I've read has indicated that his shot is not his best asset, unlike Laine. He scores a lot of goals driving the net.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Not sure where you saw that.

Everything I've read has indicated that his shot is not his best asset, unlike Laine. He scores a lot of goals driving the net.
    He does both, but he's definitely not a pure shooter. He's incredibly well-balanced. Laine can be ineffective when he isn't scoring goals. That's not he case for Kakko.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    He does both, but he's definitely not a pure shooter. He's incredibly well-balanced. Laine can be ineffective when he isn't scoring goals. That's not he case for Kakko.
    Kakko seems to have a decent shot. Not worldbeating, but where you'd expect for a top tier pick.

He's definitely got a few snipes in his repertoire, but also some really dirty hard-work goals.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

I dunno, I read that he can't shoot in a lot of places. Won't pretend to know firsthand.

That's a little concerning, but of any skill I think it can be learned easier than most.

I dunno, I read that he can't shoot in a lot of places. Won't pretend to know firsthand.

That's a little concerning, but of any skill I think it can be learned easier than most.
    Check his highlight reel. He's got a decent shot. It's not Patrick Kane, but it's also not Jimmy Vesey.
    Hidden Content

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I have also noticed repeated reference to Kakko's excellent natural compete level, whereas Laine's was called into question in multiple places this season during his scoring slump.

By most accounts I’ve seen is that he has an accurate shot but all in all if he has a weakness it’s his shot. His release and power need improvement. He’s 18 and he’s not a finished product. His compete level is through the charts as is his hockey smarts. Like most young players he has work to be done defensively. Basically the things he needs to improve are all easily attainable.

This is the best 24 hours for rangers hockey maybe since 94. Myself Hughes is the better prospect if both meet their ceilings. Kakko is the safer bet though. Either way there is nothing but excitement with whomever they get.

Lastly this news only solidifies my option of avoiding the big contract this summer. I know others see it the other way. Everything is progressing nicely and the future is bright. Armed with cap space and an abundance of high end prospects the rangers should sign that top flight ufa when they are better informed to what their needs are. As of today if Kakko is their man the money should be spent at center and defense. Again as of today, a lot can change and most certainly it will. It never hurts to just add talent. But the cap is real. And hopefully three years from now we are resigning our franchise player who is 21 to a massive contract. And hopefully not at the cost of some of our other really good young players because we spent wildly this summer. Patience please. Maybe this is a sign that the rangers can build like other teams and not always be the aggressive big spenders.

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast