• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

I get your point, but let's not pretend it doesn't happen on occasion. The 04 and 05 drafts produced three generational talents between them

This one reads more to me like two great, elite players, possibly franchise defining, but not generational.

i settle for this

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't you only have one generational talent per generation?

Somebodyy could usurp the previous anointee, for sure, but if you claim multiple generational talents, it's paradoxical, it just can't be the case.

Obviously all semantics, but can't we just call them elite?

Injury prone? To my knowledge he hasn?t had any more injuries than Kakko. As far as generational....I?m not sure what the standard is then.

Mcdavid is generational, Matthews is close. Kakko is not generational.

All Comparisons of Kakko are of Laine, just 4 inches shorter. The other comparison i read is Barkov.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not sure where you saw that.

Everything I've read has indicated that his shot is not his best asset, unlike Laine. He scores a lot of goals driving the net.

Not sure where you saw that.

Everything I've read has indicated that his shot is not his best asset, unlike Laine. He scores a lot of goals driving the net.

He does both, but he's definitely not a pure shooter. He's incredibly well-balanced. Laine can be ineffective when he isn't scoring goals. That's not he case for Kakko.

He does both, but he's definitely not a pure shooter. He's incredibly well-balanced. Laine can be ineffective when he isn't scoring goals. That's not he case for Kakko.

Kakko seems to have a decent shot. Not worldbeating, but where you'd expect for a top tier pick.

He's definitely got a few snipes in his repertoire, but also some really dirty hard-work goals.

I dunno, I read that he can't shoot in a lot of places. Won't pretend to know firsthand.

That's a little concerning, but of any skill I think it can be learned easier than most.

Check his highlight reel. He's got a decent shot. It's not Patrick Kane, but it's also not Jimmy Vesey.

I have also noticed repeated reference to Kakko's excellent natural compete level, whereas Laine's was called into question in multiple places this season during his scoring slump.

By most accounts I’ve seen is that he has an accurate shot but all in all if he has a weakness it’s his shot. His release and power need improvement. He’s 18 and he’s not a finished product. His compete level is through the charts as is his hockey smarts. Like most young players he has work to be done defensively. Basically the things he needs to improve are all easily attainable.

This is the best 24 hours for rangers hockey maybe since 94. Myself Hughes is the better prospect if both meet their ceilings. Kakko is the safer bet though. Either way there is nothing but excitement with whomever they get.

Lastly this news only solidifies my option of avoiding the big contract this summer. I know others see it the other way. Everything is progressing nicely and the future is bright. Armed with cap space and an abundance of high end prospects the rangers should sign that top flight ufa when they are better informed to what their needs are. As of today if Kakko is their man the money should be spent at center and defense. Again as of today, a lot can change and most certainly it will. It never hurts to just add talent. But the cap is real. And hopefully three years from now we are resigning our franchise player who is 21 to a massive contract. And hopefully not at the cost of some of our other really good young players because we spent wildly this summer. Patience please. Maybe this is a sign that the rangers can build like other teams and not always be the aggressive big spenders.

By most accounts I’ve seen is that he has an accurate shot but all in all if he has a weakness it’s his shot. His release and power need improvement. He’s 18 and he’s not a finished product. His compete level is through the charts as is his hockey smarts. Like most young players he has work to be done defensively. Basically the things he needs to improve are all easily attainable.

This is the best 24 hours for rangers hockey maybe since 94. Myself Hughes is the better prospect if both meet their ceilings. Kakko is the safer bet though. Either way there is nothing but excitement with whomever they get.

Lastly this news only solidifies my option of avoiding the big contract this summer. I know others see it the other way. Everything is progressing nicely and the future is bright. Armed with cap space and an abundance of high end prospects the rangers should sign that top flight ufa when they are better informed to what their needs are. As of today if Kakko is their man the money should be spent at center and defense. Again as of today, a lot can change and most certainly it will. It never hurts to just add talent. But the cap is real. And hopefully three years from now we are resigning our franchise player who is 21 to a massive contract. And hopefully not at the cost of some of our other really good young players because we spent wildly this summer. Patience please. Maybe this is a sign that the rangers can build like other teams and not always be the aggressive big spenders.

They can go either way. Panarin is not a necessity and he never has been, IMO. And it’s entirely possible he picks Florida, which I actually think is more likely, so it may be a non-issue.

If they do get him, it’s fine. And I don’t think signing him will initiate some return to spending big on FA’s. They’ve established a plan and philosophy and stuck to it so far, and I think they like where it’s going. Can’t see major departure from that.

By most accounts I?ve seen is that he has an accurate shot but all in all if he has a weakness it?s his shot. His release and power need improvement. He?s 18 and he?s not a finished product. His compete level is through the charts as is his hockey smarts. Like most young players he has work to be done defensively. Basically the things he needs to improve are all easily attainable.

I'm on board with this Franny.

Especially, the Center and defense theory.

I really think the Rangers will get Kakko because NJ really needs Center help and quite honestly, how do they (NJ) even pass up on the guy EVERYONE'S been touting for the last 3 years or so?? Shero would be putting his ass on the line, and god forbid Hughes goes to the Rangers and becomes a superstar.

They'd shit themselves for years to come.

I believe you're right about rebuilding Hartford, and as much as I would LOVE to think we'll be right back in the mix next season, I still have to realize that these kids like Anderson, Chytil and Buchnevich, etc are still just kids, and they need to grow as well. That's going to take a couple of years, give or take.