• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

I meant if I’m the Rangers I rather stay at 20 then trade the pick plus Kreider just to move up to 10. Unless there’s some player that should’ve went top 5 that’s still on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Value-wise, that’s probably true.

But if you’re rebuilding and you aren’t going/wanting to pay Kreider, I’ll take the pick at 10 instead.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think JD and Gorton are saying they are sticking to the rebuild but actually trying to make playoffs this season and maybe a run the following season.

Look at a team like the Blues. They really aren?t all that talented of a team in my opinion.

I don?t think it works that way. JD has said over and over patience is paramount. Would they like to make the playoffs next season? Of course. But I don?t think that means anything. They?re going to make the decisions that best help build the team for long term success. ?Trying to make a run? implies they?ll be selling first round picks and young players to the highest bidder and I just don?t see that being the case in two years.

I think the team will be talented enough next season to be better than they were this season. How much better depends more on what happens at defense and how effective Kravstov and Kakko are in their rookie seasons. That said they missed the playoffs by 20 points. There?s a ton of ground to make up.

Re: Blues. You?re wrong haha.

• Like 1

I don’t think it works that way. JD has said over and over patience is paramount. Would they like to make the playoffs next season? Of course. But I don’t think that means anything. They’re going to make the decisions that best help build the team for long term success. “Trying to make a run” implies they’ll be selling first round picks and young players to the highest bidder and I just don’t see that being the case in two years.

I think the team will be talented enough next season to be better than they were this season. How much better depends more on what happens at defense and how effective Kravstov and Kakko are in their rookie seasons. That said they missed the playoffs by 20 points. There’s a ton of ground to make up.

Re: Blues. You’re wrong haha.

No he's not. 3 players over 50 points. None over 80. They have a good defense and have gotten some timely goaltending. There's a reason they only accumulated 99 points during the season, were the 4th worst playoff team, and a very small minority picked them to even get out of the 1st round against the Jets.

No he's not. 3 players over 50 points. None over 80. They have a good defense and have gotten some timely goaltending. There's a reason they only accumulated 99 points during the season, were the 4th worst playoff team, and a very small minority picked them to even get out of the 1st round against the Jets.

They started out horribly. The worst team in the league at Christmas. That's the only reason they didn't win the division -- in fact they lost the division on the last day of the season. "4th worst" is not the proper way of thinking about it. They were the best team in the NHL in the second half.

I agree they're not loaded with offensive game breakers but they have at least two. To say they're not that talented is wrong. They're a heavy team. Good defensive team. Good goaltending. They're solid all around.

In a league where expansion teams make the finals and teams with the worst record on January 3 maybe win the cup, I'm not sure why you have to expect to wait through three years of rebuilding just to make the playoffs.
  • Like 2

In a league where expansion teams make the finals and teams with the worst record on January 3 maybe win the cup, I'm not sure why you have to expect to wait through three years of rebuilding just to make the playoffs.

It's not about waiting three years, it's about not doing anything dumb to mortgage the future. I think the Rangers should be trying to model themselves after the Bruins. Year after year they give themselves a chance. That's all you need to do.

They started out horribly. The worst team in the league at Christmas. That's the only reason they didn't win the division -- in fact they lost the division on the last day of the season. "4th worst" is not the proper way of thinking about it. They were the best team in the NHL in the second half.

I agree they're not loaded with offensive game breakers but they have at least two. To say they're not that talented is wrong. They're a heavy team. Good defensive team. Good goaltending. They're solid all around.

Playing a good defensive game with good goaltending hides a lot of shortcomings in talent. As a Rangers fan, you've seen this for the better part of the past decade.

Tarasenko is the best forward the Blues have. Ironically, he's around Panarin's tier. Probably half a rung lower.

Team that beat pretty much the best teams in the west and is one win away from a cup against the 2nd best regular season team in east isn't talented?

What have we become here lol?

"isn't talented" != "not all that talented". I took it to mean they are not as talented as many of the other teams that were in the playoffs. It's a shining example that you can win with less talent. Credit to the Blues playing some great hockey.

"isn't talented" != "not all that talented". I took it to mean they are not as talented as many of the other teams that were in the playoffs. It's a shining example that you can win with less talent. Credit to the Blues playing some great hockey.

Bingo. Most talented teams don?t always win. I?m sure most hockey experts would agree that Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Boston, Winnipeg and Nashville have more talent on their teams than St. Louis. Blues remind me of the Rangers teams that just couldn?t quite get over the hump with Hank in net when lots of Rangers fans complained the team didn?t have enough scoring talent.

Bingo. Most talented teams don?t always win. I?m sure most hockey experts would agree that Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Boston, Winnipeg and Nashville have more talent on their teams than St. Louis. Blues remind me of the Rangers teams that just couldn?t quite get over the hump with Hank in net when lots of Rangers fans complained the team didn?t have enough scoring talent.

Ok, cool. So then we can shift this and stop equating talent with scoring, so the conversation is moot.

Erik Christensen and Rob Schremp had talent and were terrible hockey players who couldn't score.

The word talent in the NHL can't be relegated to the ability to score.

I can’t call it waiting

A true, complete, well formulated, and properly executed rebuild is generally going to result in 3 seasons of missing the playoffs. And that’s a fair price to pay if you’re good for a long period of time afterwards

back to the 1 / 2 debate. we are just so in the driver seat here. going to be so much fun to watch this group come together and grow.

i'm not sure we can compete until we can grow into our young defense, but that's going to be interesting to watch as well.

LGR.

Agreed. Much of what they may achieve hinges on a group of young D, many of whom have yet to play at the NHL level yet and will probably need a fair amount of time to develop once they reach the NHL as well. Improvement should come over the next couple of seasons but with so many unproven players it’s likely a while before they have a serious shot at winning

I can’t call it waiting

A true, complete, well formulated, and properly executed rebuild is generally going to result in 3 seasons of missing the playoffs. And that’s a fair price to pay if you’re good for a long period of time afterwards

Yeah - this.

We got a stroke of luck this year w/the draft lottery win and getting to a spot where the talent drop-off isn't big from 1-2. That said - we're going to be icing a team with an average age of "gets carded to go to the movies" next year, and while these kids are pretty damn talented, they're still young. If we're within striking distance of the playoffs next year, it's a big deal. More likely, we're in the lottery pile again, and hopefully for the last time in a while. And that's OK - we could get stupidly lucky and win the thing again, and walk away with Lafreniere or Byfield or any of the crazy talented players at the top of the 2020 draft.

And heck, we're probably picking twice in the 2020 1st round too - if not because of Zucc, because of a TDL deal.

Agreed. Much of what they may achieve hinges on a group of young D, many of whom have yet to play at the NHL level yet and will probably need a fair amount of time to develop once they reach the NHL as well. Improvement should come over the next couple of seasons but with so many unproven players it’s likely a while before they have a serious shot at winning

I'd argue the 2020-2021 season is a season where I have the team earmarked for a wildcard spot. I wouldn't be too disappointed if it took another year, but I think they're going to be threatening playoffs then.

Somewhat tongue in cheek, but I think they win 2023-2024, just to usurp the 30th anniversary celebration.

I'd argue the 2020-2021 season is a season where I have the team earmarked for a wildcard spot. I wouldn't be too disappointed if it took another year, but I think they're going to be threatening playoffs then.

Somewhat tongue in cheek, but I think they win 2023-2024, just to usurp the 30th anniversary celebration.

I would agree with that. I think they’re a playoff team in 20-21. But I view that as part of the improvement process.

Two years of really bad play, 17-18 and 18-19, a 3rd season wherein they still miss the playoffs but are better and maybe have a shot at a spot late in the year in 19-20, and hopefully a solid playoff team in 20-21. Hopefully they then open a window of 3-5 seasons from 21-22 on where they are legit contenders.

Panarin is by no means a foregone conclusion, though I think they have a legitimate shot at him. But even with him, I don’t like their chances at making the playoffs. 20 points is a huge margin. Especially when they’ll be playing even more kids.

Honestly, I’d be happy this year if I saw just a few things. Good debuts from the rookies. Improvement from the other young guys we’re counting on moving forward, and an 8-12 point improvement in the standings resulting in meaningful hockey games in March and April. They certainly don’t need to rush the process, but the sooner you get your young core playing important games late in the season, the better off you are.

If they can by in large do those 3 things, the season would be a big success. Relative to the rebuild that is.

Rangers did finish 20 points out of a playoff spot.. with a roster built for a tank.

Carolina missed by 14 points last year and made it to the ECF.. Not optimal, but every year there are a few teams who make a big leap.

Not sure how anyone can say one way or the other what this roster will look like until you get past the draft, trades, buyouts, free agency and camp. Not saying NYR are a lock for a playoff spot this season, but objectively it's not out of the question. But the question is right now premature.