• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

I do wonder if people would still be all about Kakko if we had the 1st overall pick. Like I wonder as to the extent to which the likelihood of getting him impacts folks' opinions. Anyone still taking Kakko if we were picking 1st overall?

Heh, kinda funny. I had just mentioned this in another thread too: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?21604-Kane-on-Hughes-He-does-a-lot-of-things-better-than-me&p=968636&viewfull=1#post968636

All of the talk would be about Hughes' electeic playmaking and skating IMO...as it should be.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, kinda funny. I had just mentioned this in another thread too: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?21604-Kane-on-Hughes-He-does-a-lot-of-things-better-than-me&p=968636&viewfull=1#post968636

All of the talk would be about Hughes' electeic playmaking and skating IMO...as it should be.

The pass to Kreider for an easy finish yesterday was definitely high end. Me like, "well that wouldn't be too bad."

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I do wonder if people would still be all about Kakko if we had the 1st overall pick. Like I wonder as to the extent to which the likelihood of getting him impacts folks' opinions. Anyone still taking Kakko if we were picking 1st overall?

I think it has a huge bearing on peoples rating of the two players. I'm guilty of it myself, sort of hoping Shero doesn't throw a curveball and pick Kakko without any real reason to feel that way.

Either would be fantastic, so let's just be happy about where we are.

I think we'd be lucky to get Hughes if that's what it comes to, but Kakko would be part of the "sped up rebuild" where as Hughes would require a few years of seasoning first.

I think the draft dictates, at least in part, what happens this summer.

I think we'd be lucky to get Hughes if that's what it comes to, but Kakko would be part of the "sped up rebuild" where as Hughes would require a few years of seasoning first.

I think the draft dictates, at least in part, what happens this summer.

yeah pretty much agree with this. hughes or kakko, slow or fast

I'm not sure where the idea that Hughes isn't ready comes from. Virtually every scout report/drafting ranking I've read on Hughes says he's going to be in the NHL and producing from day 1.

NHL ready, sure.

Ready to dominate? Give it a few seasons. He's gotta grow a bit.

I'm not sure where the idea that Hughes isn't ready comes from. Virtually every scout report/drafting ranking I've read on Hughes says he's going to be in the NHL and producing from day 1.

He could. He hasn't shown that to be the case though. He's small with a weak shot and very light on his skates. Against average men he's been average where as Kakko has been one of the better players of the tournament. It's not hard to see that one is more ready for the NHL than the other.

I also don't expect Kakko to be a star immediately either. I think both guys will have learning curves and I think Hughes' will be slower.

I don’t think either will dominate out of the gate.

But you can’t really use the Worlds to measure the two. Hughes is on the 4th line, Kakko is on the top line. If Hughes had centered Kane & Debrincat his numbers might look different.

I agree Kakko looks more NHL ready, but Hughes seems to be expected to step in and play immediately, and do it well.

I don’t think either will dominate out of the gate.

But you can’t really use the Worlds to measure the two. Hughes is on the 4th line, Kakko is on the top line. If Hughes had centered Kane & Debrincat his numbers might look different.

I agree Kakko looks more NHL ready, but Hughes seems to be expected to step in and play immediately, and do it well.

After Gaudreau got hurt the put Hughes with Kreider and Eichel. And he looks just fine there.

They've also probably played well over 100 games since their last offseason, with Hughes flying all over the planet to get to the various tournaments. Most recently US to Sweden for the U-18's, back to the US for the Draft Lottery, to Slovakia for the World's. He'll get a few months to rest and he'll be just fine in the NHL next year.

I don't see why Hughes can't have a Kane-type rookie season. I'm not really buying this "not NHL ready" stuff because he's 5-10 pounds lighter than he might be in his prime.

Yea - the NHL readiness thing has been overblown.

I think it's possible that he starts at wing and isn't quite ready to be a C yet (I think Mackinnon did the same thing), but Hughes is going to be productive day 1.

While lack of size isn't so much of a disadvantage, having size certainly is an advantage in the NHL.

IMO Kakko will be able to use that advantage while Hughes will need more time to figure it out.

Yea - the NHL readiness thing has been overblown.

I think it's possible that he starts at wing and isn't quite ready to be a C yet (I think Mackinnon did the same thing), but Hughes is going to be productive day 1.

So will Kakko.

No one in the thread said that Kakko wouldn't be productive day 1.

Folks were saying it would take longer for Hughes to adjust to playing against men, and hit his stride.

No one said either player wouldn't be productive on day one.

No one in the thread said that Kakko wouldn't be productive day 1.

Folks were saying it would take longer for Hughes to adjust to playing against men, and hit his stride.

No one said either player wouldn't be productive on day one.

Well what was actually said was that Kakko would speed up the rebuild whereas Hughes would "require a few years".

I'm just not sure what that statement is based on and I doubt it's true.

Well what was actually said was that Kakko would speed up the rebuild whereas Hughes would "require a few years".

I'm just not sure what that statement is based on and I doubt it's true.

What are you not sure about? The argument is clear... Kakko has been playing against men and some think that MAY help him get acclimated to the NHL faster than Hughes. It's not completely without reason or logic behind it.

Anyone else have the nightmare the Gordie Clark has them convinced Vasili Podkolzin is really the best player in the draft..

I keep picturing the movie Draft Day in my nightmare... Then I wake up in a cold sweat and need to call a professional to talk it out.

Anyone else have the nightmare the Gordie Clark has them convinced Vasili Podkolzin is really the best player in the draft..

I keep picturing the movie Draft Day in my nightmare... Then I wake up in a cold sweat and need to call a professional to talk it out.

You're not the only one, Flynn!!!

It's just so Ranger-like that they pull some kind of stupid shit and goo "off the track". I have to stay on the ledge though, and hope that Gorton and JD are a little bit smarter than our last regime. I put my faith in Gorton, I think the guy knows his shit, and I definitely trust JD; Fucking guy is a hockey guru!

It's Kakko all the way! Worst case scenario, we get Hughes....not a bad worst case in my book!!!