• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

Pronman just released his Mock Draft 1.0 Kakko at #2, then

Don't know much about this guy, but a C with a ton of speed sounds all right.

https://theathletic.com/1012017/2019/06/06/pronmans-mock-draft-1-0-projecting-the-first-round-of-the-2019-nhl-draft/

If by "no top flight left", he's referring to either York, Seider, or Soderstrom as "top flight" - we're trading up for it. No good reason to let it pass for the price to move up a few spots in the draft.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.rawcharge.com/2019/6/3/18649714/2019-nhl-draft-rankings-the-top-35-prospects-jack-hughes-kaapo-kakko-bowen-byram-vasili-podkolzon

#19 Philip Tomasino, Niagara (OHL)

C/RW - 6’0”, 181lbs

Extremely intelligent, great puckhandler, and a heavy release that he uses to score big goals, Tomasino is a smooth skater whose exceptional playmaking skills often go unnoticed. He has excellent hockey sense, breakaway speed and edgework, but also an underrated defensive awareness. He’ll need to add muscle in order to make the jump, but he has the foundation to become a successful NHL player.

NHL Comparable: Ondrej Palat

Tomasino is too vanilla for me.

If by "no top flight left", he's referring to either York, Seider, or Soderstrom as "top flight" - we're trading up for it. No good reason to let it pass for the price to move up a few spots in the draft.

You really think any of these guys are that much better than Miller/Lundkvist?

Theyve been nailing their picks in the 20s.

Sounds like Brett Howden.

Extremely intelligent, great puckhandler, and a heavy release that he uses to score big goals, Tomasino is a smooth skater whose exceptional playmaking skills often go unnoticed. He has excellent hockey sense, breakaway speed and edgework, but also an underrated defensive awareness.

None of that sounds like Brett Howden in all fairness.

You really think any of these guys are that much better than Miller/Lundkvist?

Theyve been nailing their picks in the 20s.

Not sure, to be honest.

We've been doing well in the 20s over the last two drafts, but our overarching first round trend since '17 is strong European scouting over the last few years (Miller being the exception). I'd expect that trend to continue to play out here. I'd actually be kinda surprised if we ended up w/York, but if we're looking at Seider, Soderstrom, or an unexpectedly falling Broberg, I bet we pull the trigger and get the guy we want.

This could cut the other way too; I'm thinking we've seen a lot of Finnish hockey, and if we think Heinola, Honka, or Puistola is the guy we need, we could fall back a few picks too.

Ok. Having "exceptional playmaking skills", "excellent breakaway speed and edgework" on top of "a heavy release he uses to scores big goals" doesn't sound like phrases that are usually thrown around to describe dependable but unspectacular 3C's. It's certainly not what comes to mind if you were to describe Howden.

But, like I said, I've never seen Tomasino play so you could very well be right.

Aside from the "heavy release", this reads like "common center" to me. Let's just stick with Josh's characterization - feels kinda vanilla.

Everyone keeps talking about Tomasino's speed... but I don't see it. He gets breakaways from cheating and capitalizing on turnovers (good hockey sense), but I dont see the blazing speed that's continually mentioned. If I saw it, I might think otherwise, and throw out a comparison to a "poor man's Toews/faster Callahan"

This first round is going to be incredibly interesting.

Aside from the "heavy release", this reads like "common center" to me. Let's just stick with Josh's characterization - feels kinda vanilla.

Having virtually no basis on which to evaluate the underlying skills of a hockey player, what I have been looking at is how prospects have risen or fallen in ratings over the course of their critical draft season. Tomasino has definitely been a riser, moving largely from the mid-20's to the mid-to-late teens. (The Draft Analyst had him at 133 for their mid-season rating and 29 in April.) The descriptions remind me a lot of Chytil, without the size. Fast, skilled center that has to bulk up for the next level.

Ok. Having "exceptional playmaking skills", "excellent breakaway speed and edgework" on top of "a heavy release he uses to scores big goals" doesn't sound like phrases that are usually thrown around to describe dependable but unspectacular 3C's. It's certainly not what comes to mind if you were to describe Howden.

But, like I said, I've never seen Tomasino play so you could very well be right.

It's not a good comparison (Howden) - I'll own that, fair - but every single year there's a group of centers in the late 1st/early 2nd described as having "exceptional passing skill", "great speed", "strong edgework", a "knack for the net", "deceptively responsible in the defensive zone" etc.

Tomasino feels like he belongs in that group for 2019

Not sure, to be honest.

We've been doing well in the 20s over the last two drafts, but our overarching first round trend since '17 is strong European scouting over the last few years (Miller being the exception). I'd expect that trend to continue to play out here. I'd actually be kinda surprised if we ended up w/York, but if we're looking at Seider, Soderstrom, or an unexpectedly falling Broberg, I bet we pull the trigger and get the guy we want.

This could cut the other way too; I'm thinking we've seen a lot of Finnish hockey, and if we think Heinola, Honka, or Puistola is the guy we need, we could fall back a few picks too.

I'll add here - I think Heinola is Reunanen's defensive partner on Lukko

I'll add here - I think Heinola is Reunanen's defensive partner on Lukko

I think you're right on your post before, G man; That #20 may get dealt in a package to move up. I would love to get my hands on Bowen Byram, but I think he's slated to go #3 overall. Alex Turcotte is looking like #5 as well. He's a good looking player right now as well.

What do you guys for top 10? I got this so far as of today:

1. Hughes - NJ

2. Kakko - NYR

3. Byram - Chi

4. Cozens - Col

5. Turcotte - LA

6. Podkolzin - Det

7. Caufield - Buf

8. Dach - Anh

9. York - Edm

10. Newhook - Van

I'll play some

1. NJD - Hughes

2. NYR - Kakko

3. CHI - Turcotte

4. COL - Byram

5. LA - Cozens

6. DET - Kaliyev

7. BUF - Caufield

8. EDM - Dach

9. ANA - Krebs

10. VAN - York

Podkolzin is the wild card...He can possibly go anywhere from 3 to 31...so it's tough with him! LOL

But that looks good too, G Man!

Podkolzin is the wild card...He can possibly go anywhere from 3 to 31...so it's tough with him! LOL

But that looks good too, G Man!

Yeah, I have no idea where to slot him at all. His skill is undeniable, but my understanding of where the hype is coming from is largely the strength of his international play. If he goes 3rd, I won't be surprised. If he goes 33rd, I won't be surprised.

I think if you're looking to hit a homerun with a high risk/high reward goalscorer earlier in the draft, you go Caufield or Kaliyev.

I'll play some

1. NJD - Hughes

2. NYR - Kakko

3. CHI - Turcotte

4. COL - Byram

5. LA - Cozens

6. DET - Kaliyev

7. BUF - Caufield

8. EDM - Dach

9. ANA - Krebs

10. VAN - York

I gotta think Zegras is going higher in that mix. Here's mine.

1. Hughes - NJ

2. Kakko -NYR

3. Turcotte - CHI

4. Zegras - COL

5. Byrum - LA

6. Cozens - DET

7. Dach - BUF

8. Podkolzin - ANH

9. Caufield - EDM

10. Boldy - VAN

1. NJD - Hughes

2. NYR - Kakko

3. CHI - Turcotte

4. COL - Cozens

5. LA - Dach

6. DET - Byram

7. BUF - Caufield

8. EDM - Zegras

9. ANA - Broberg

10. VAN - Krebs

I debated Byram/Cozens w/Colorado but eventually thought an NHL-ready defender would mean more to the team right now. What led you to give them Cozens instead?

FWIW, if Chicago passes on Turcotte, I'd have him go to the Avs.

Yeah, I have no idea where to slot him at all. His skill is undeniable, but my understanding of where the hype is coming from is largely the strength of his international play. If he goes 3rd, I won't be surprised. If he goes 33rd, I won't be surprised.

I think if you're looking to hit a homerun with a high risk/high reward goalscorer earlier in the draft, you go Caufield or Kaliyev.

Riskiest picks out there, IMO. Jack Hughes' linemate in last season's draft fell a bit. And more-so since.

Kaliyev, I've gone back and forth. He has a knack for scoring and putting up points. But I'm not impressed with his skating and play without the puck. He reminds me a little bit of Grachev or Kabanov, and his transition to the NHL could go either way. Not a guy I'd use a top pick on. Maybe think about it at 20, only based on his production in the OHL.

Riskiest picks out there, IMO. Jack Hughes' linemate in last season's draft fell a bit. And more-so since.

Kaliyev, I've gone back and forth. He has a knack for scoring and putting up points. But I'm not impressed with his skating and play without the puck. He reminds me a little bit of Grachev or Kabanov, and his transition to the NHL could go either way. Not a guy I'd use a top pick on. Maybe think about it at 20, only based on his production in the OHL.

.....try this one on for size, my man:

If Podkolzin is still around at #20, do we take him? ;)

I debated Byram/Cozens w/Colorado but eventually thought an NHL-ready defender would mean more to the team right now. What led you to give them Cozens instead?

FWIW, if Chicago passes on Turcotte, I'd have him go to the Avs.

Avs pretty stacked in defensive prospects, arent they?

Cozens is great fit for that second line. Reminds me a bit of Sakic, for some reason. For the Avs, I have Cozens slightly higher than Turcotte, although I personally prefer Turcotte (today). I think Cozens might be a bit closer to making an NHL impact than Turcotte. I can see Cozens potentially playing next season, and certainly the season after that.

Probably yes. Depends who else is there. But any player dropping from #2 in some pre-season rankings to 20 is a huge red flag - but with Kakko/Hughes, you can take the chance.

I say absolutely. I think this guy is ultra skilled...maybe has some growing up to do but with our slew of Russians maybe they can help him mature. I think he's long gone before our 2nd pick, however.

If Podkolzin is there at #20 (which I very much doubt he'll be) I think you simply have to pull the trigger.

Too much upside there to pass on. Exactly the type of swing for the fences pick that makes sense at that point.

I think the drop in ratings is more to do with contract and availability than anything else.