• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt the Devils pass on Hughes. The best part of this whole thing is that both players are going to be tremendous assets to both teams. The Rangers could use either one, and both will be tremendous in their own right.

I really am digging the fact that all the pressure is on NJ though. We can't go wrong either way; Whomever the Devils take, they're going to be second guessed by somebody.

Too much history between Shero and Hughes. I doubt he passes.

Too much history between Shero and Hughes. I doubt he passes.

I'm with you, Big G! I actually think in the long run, Hughes is going to be the face of the Devils for years to come. The kid is really good....small, yeah, but he's just a kid. I'm getting the printing press ready to tack on a #24 Kakko on nice new Blue NY Rangers Jersey this fall!

That #20 pick may be HUGE though...

Phil/Josh:

How's this Defenseman Moritz Seider looking to the insiders? 18 year old/Right handed shot with some good size (6' 4" 200lbs) and speed.

I haven't followed him at all. Drew a Penalty might have some info for you, though.

Seider seems to have fallen in some of the rankings I've seen. I feel like he was ranked pretty steadily in the high teens, but I'm seeing him more and more in the low 20s to mid 20s.

Not a big fall, mind you.

He's a "stay at Home" type defenseman with some offensive ability and physical toughness. I haven't seen a lot of him, but I've been following some of the hype now that we're in that 20 spot. Lord knows we can use some young stability on that back line. This might be our guy at #20.

This kid's got some insight on him:

[video=youtube;Ry-GeBE3rcs]

When was the last time there was a consensus #1 that didn't go #1, though? I feel like there was legitimately no consensus in '17 - but going back through the years?

18, it was Dahlin the whole way

16 was Matthews the whole way

15 was McDavid, no questions asked

14 was a little weird - Ekblad was generally assumed the #1, but both Bennett and Reinhart seemed to have gotten some love there

13 was Mackinnon the whole year

12 was Yakupov the whole year

11 was Couturier, then he had kind of a wack draft year and it became the RNH draft

10 was the Taylor/Tyler thing, but always Hall then Seguin

09 was Tavares the whole way

It really seems like the consensus #1 for most of the year goes #1 unless there's some weird circumstance or no true consensus.

I'd expect Hughes to go 1.

When was the last time there was a consensus #1 that didn't go #1, though? I feel like there was legitimately no consensus in '17 - but going back through the years?

18, it was Dahlin the whole way

16 was Matthews the whole way

15 was McDavid, no questions asked

14 was a little weird - Ekblad was generally assumed the #1, but both Bennett and Reinhart seemed to have gotten some love there

13 was Mackinnon the whole year

12 was Yakupov the whole year

11 was Couturier, then he had kind of a wack draft year and it became the RNH draft

10 was the Taylor/Tyler thing, but always Hall then Seguin

09 was Tavares the whole way

It really seems like the consensus #1 for most of the year goes #1 unless there's some weird circumstance or no true consensus.

I'd expect Hughes to go 1.

NJD watched these 2 games; Kakko is a beast. No knock on Hughes, but goddamn can this guy play.

Hall is tight with Hughes though. Hard to see why anyone would sign long term to play 40 games in Newark; Unless.... In fairness the whole "New York is the Place!" thing is done; between taxes, traffic and hassle may even be a deterrent to some free agents. Kevin Durant and Peyton Manning had no problem becoming marketing icons in very small markets. Yet Devils are so nondescript as a franchise may be you have to accommodate your MVP and pick his nonslouch also superstar potential buddy in hopes he and said buddy can form your core for a decade or so.

I’m surprised to see so many wanting Kakko over Hughes. Both are fantastic prospects. Getting either is a godsend. Im kind of glad it’s the devils choice. I think Kakko is the safer bet to become a star but Hughes to me has the higher ceiling. Just watching the worlds he is still a step faster in pace than anyone on the ice. That includes some fantastic nhl players. His size is a concern but he is 17 and it’s not like he’s a midget. He’s what 5’11”? While he’ll never be huge, I would expect him to add some muscle. He’s just so dynamic that it would be foolish for the devils to pass on that. Kakko is almost already a proven commodity. I’ll try to make maybe a stupid comparison.

Hughes could be a MacKinnon while Kakko is probably Rantanen. Both would be a great get but do you feel like gambling a bit.

I’m surprised to see so many wanting Kakko over Hughes. Both are fantastic prospects. Getting either is a godsend. Im kind of glad it’s the devils choice. I think Kakko is the safer bet to become a star but Hughes to me has the higher ceiling. Just watching the worlds he is still a step faster in pace than anyone on the ice. That includes some fantastic nhl players. His size is a concern but he is 17 and it’s not like he’s a midget. He’s what 5’11”? While he’ll never be huge, I would expect him to add some muscle. He’s just so dynamic that it would be foolish for the devils to pass on that. Kakko is almost already a proven commodity. I’ll try to make maybe a stupid comparison.

Hughes could be a MacKinnon while Kakko is probably Rantanen. Both would be a great get but do you feel like gambling a bit.

I don't think I'd use MacKinnon as a comparable to Hughes. More Jack Eichel, I think.

Hughes is the safer bet, but in the right hands, Kakko might be the better player.

IMO Kakko performing like he is, is the greatest thing we could possibly hope for. If the Devils take Hughes... we get this monster who is tearing it up right now at Worlds. If the Devils change it up and take Kakko we get the consensus #1 since he was 16 who is absolutely DYNAMIC with the puck and just tore up the U18 Tourney. Either way I see it, our NY Rangers will be getting an absolute stud and I am very very excited about that if you couldn't already tell lol.

I think, for me at least (and the title of this thread says it all), after NJ got the number one pick we all assumed Kakko was our guy. He's kind of become "our thing." Like I was convinced that watching him in this tournament would be the equivalent of watching a player already in our farm system, especially after Hughes' performance over the past month. Kakko couldn't help but feel like a bit of a consolation prize, somewhat soured by NJ getting Hughes because, as we all know, we're never allowed to be truly, truly happy. That said, we all kind of had our hearts set on Kakko.

Of course, Jack Hughes has had a date with destiny as the #1 overall pick since he was 15. I have legitimately been hearing his name for three years already, and anyone who monitors non-professional hockey will agree with me I'm sure. The latest CSS rankings have them firmly as #1 and #2, at least prior to this tournament. Before this season started, it was Jack Hughes and then everyone else in the draft. Even last year when we whiffed on the lottery and actually ended up moving down (I was foolishly hoping that we'd actually end up with Dahlin), I was hoping against all hope that the greatest US-born player since Patrick Kane would end up wearing a Rangers jersey. It just seemed so perfect after all the shit we've been through and our efforts to, nonetheless, play it straight and not tank.

If you had told me last summer that we'd be getting Jack Hughes as long as I didn't ask any questions, I'd have become a mute. Now, however, there's a genuine question of whether he truly is the best player in this draft. Kakko is dominating against men whereas Hughes dominated against boys. Kakko has size and looks to be more NHL-ready.

Honestly I go back and forth, but mainly the place I'm at mentally is where I started after the lottery happened (albeit with some obvious ups and downs based on recent developments): we quite literally cannot lose. Either we get the chance to draft a franchise center like we've NEVER drafted in almost a century, or we get a big, physical complete package winger that has done the impossible in changing the minds of many scouts regarding Hughes' unquestioned status as the best player in this draft.

Truly, either way, this year's lottery was arguably the best thing to happen to this franchise since June 14, 1994.

• Like 1

I think, for me at least (and the title of this thread says it all), after NJ got the number one pick we all assumed Kakko was our guy. He's kind of become "our thing." Like I was convinced that watching him in this tournament would be the equivalent of watching a player already in our farm system, especially after Hughes' performance over the past month. Kakko couldn't help but feel like a bit of a consolation prize, somewhat soured by NJ getting Hughes because, as we all know, we're never allowed to be truly, truly happy. That said, we all kind of had our hearts set on Kakko.

That said, Jack Hughes has had a date with destiny as the #1 overall pick since he was 15. I have legitimately been hearing his name for three years already, and anyone who monitors non-professional hockey will agree with me I'm sure. The latest CSS rankings have them firmly as #1 and #2, at least prior to this tournament. Before this season started, it was Jack Hughes and then everyone else in the draft. Even last year when we whiffed on the lottery and actually ended up moving down (I was foolishly hoping that we'd actually end up with Dahlin), I was hoping against all hope that the greatest US-born player since Patrick Kane would end up wearing a Rangers jersey. It just seemed so perfect after all the shit we've been through and our efforts to, nonetheless, play it straight and not tank.

If you had told me last summer that we'd be getting Jack Hughes as long as I didn't ask any questions, I'd have become a mute. Now, however, there's a genuine question of whether he truly is the best player in this draft. Kakko is dominating against men whereas Hughes dominated against boys. Kakko has size and looks to be more NHL-ready.

Honestly I go back and forth, but mainly the place I'm at mentally is where I started after the lottery happened (albeit with some obvious ups and downs based on recent developments): we quite literally cannot lose. Either we get the chance to draft a franchise center like we've NEVER drafted in almost a century, or we get a big, physical complete package winger that has done the impossible in changing the minds of many scouts regarding Hughes' unquestioned status as the best player in this draft.

Truly, either way, this year's lottery was arguably the best thing to happen to this franchise since June 14, 1994.

Very eloquent description of where we're at. Poignant even.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk