• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

Anyone else have the nightmare the Gordie Clark has them convinced Vasili Podkolzin is really the best player in the draft..

I keep picturing the movie Draft Day in my nightmare... Then I wake up in a cold sweat and need to call a professional to talk it out.

If that happens Im done with hockey, for real lol.

Won't happen tho.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you not sure about? The argument is clear... Kakko has been playing against men and some think that MAY help him get acclimated to the NHL faster than Hughes. It's not completely without reason or logic behind it.

If it wasn?t already clear, I?m not sure it?s true Kakko comes flying out of the gate whereas Hughes requires a couple of years.

Your take that it MAY help seems like a more reasonable take, however.

If it wasn't true then Hughes wouldn't be scratched at Worlds while Kakko dominates the tournament.

Is Kakko dominating the tournament? 5 of his 6 goals were scored in the first 2 games. Gotta slow the hype train down a little.

Fun facts about this tournament:

- Half the teams are garbage

- Hughes is playing behind a bunch of NHL all-stars

- There are 2 NHLers on Finland's roster (one of those is Juho Lammikko who has 40 games in the NHL and doesn't really count)

- Numerous top players are not participating

- Anthony Mantha is Canada's leading scorer

Is Kakko dominating the tournament? 5 of his 6 goals were scored in the first 2 games. Gotta slow the hype train down a little.

Fun facts about this tournament:

- Half the teams are garbage

I guess those Canada goals don't count?

It's not so much the goals as it is the playing ability. Whether or not Finland hasn't brought a bunch of NHLers to the tournament, Kakko is still playing against NHL-caliber players and some of his plays have just been downright dominant. The puck protection, the skating (which is deceptively good, I know it's one of the only knocks on him but he's faster than scouting reports would lead you to believe), the hands, the vision, etc. Even if he hadn't buried any of his chances, that alone would have people on here salivating.

I won't mince words though: Jack Hughes is still the unquestioned #1 on all rankings for a reason. Devils ain't passing on him.

The real question is: if by some miracle they do pass on him, are we willing to move Kreider to trade up for Caufield?

Hughes is going to be a superstar, in my estimation. Barring any crazy injury, or unforeseen dilemma, there's nothing standing in the way of Hughes being an absolute beast in years to come. He'll mature and put on weight without an issue....Christ, he's not even drinking age yet. Too bad the puking Devils get first shot at him!

Let him hit 21, hang out drinking with his team mates until all hours of the night, and then hit up a Wendy's or a White Castle a couple times after hours!!! Trust me!! He'll put on some weight!!! :rofl:

...may not do much for his skating, but he'll definite put on some weight!!!

Only one tournament, but the little questions about Hughes were not answered. He looks like a boy playing men, has spent a lot of time on the seat of his pants, and is now getting scratched. Still probably (hopefully) the number 1 pick, but you have to wonder about his stats playing on a loaded U18 team. Kakko has looked better than the reports I read heading into the tourney. Number 1 overall looks more like a toss up, and it is still great we get one of them.

The US roster is pretty good. He’d be the 1C for Finland. And Chytil is also getting scratched... in favor of non NHLers, and he’s 2 years older, has 4” and 30lbs on Hughes.

This is why there’s not a lot of stock in this tourney.

The whole thing is a joke. I'm honestly surprised NHL players go there to play at all with the new format. I would suspect they begin to not show up. It was a joke before they allowed teams like Italy and Great Britain in, now it's so bad it's actually kind of amusing.

The US roster is pretty good. He’d be the 1C for Finland. And Chytil is also getting scratched... in favor of non NHLers, and he’s 2 years older, has 4” and 30lbs on Hughes.

This is why there’s not a lot of stock in this tourney.

You think Hughes would be a 1C on Finland? Finland has a better record than US and Hughes has had limited ice time. Hughes was 17 when tourney started, I think any country would have expected him to struggle given the step up in competition.

I'm still annoyed that even when we get obscenely lucky for literally the first time in organization history by winning the lottery, it still has to be soured by our rivals handing us their sloppy seconds. I've been praying since I first saw Jack Hughes' name that somehow, some way, he would end up in a Rangers jersey. It was just so perfect with us sucking, us needing a center, and him being an American. Would've been the perfect narrative. Now I get to watch him play for the Devils. God dammit.

I'm still annoyed that even when we get obscenely lucky for literally the first time in organization history by winning the lottery, it still has to be soured by our rivals handing us their sloppy seconds. I've been praying since I first saw Jack Hughes' name that somehow, some way, he would end up in a Rangers jersey. It was just so perfect with us sucking, us needing a center, and him being an American. Would've been the perfect narrative. Now I get to watch him play for the Devils. God dammit.

The "consolation" prize is pretty damn amazing though, RR!! :thumbs:

Kakko’s stock has risen, but I don’t think it’s risen quite as much as we all may think it has

What I mean by that is simply that he’s getting so much attention now from us fans cause we are watching him closely now, many of us are seeing him for the first few times, and he’s performing very well

But I don’t think it’s risen tremendously amongst the talent evaluators, scouts, front office people etc. Those people have been watching him for quite some time and while he is playing very well right now, I don’t think they are necessarily seeing him doing anything he hasn’t already been doing for quite a while. So while I think there has been an uptick in his standing with the hockey people, I don’t think it’s a huge one.

Still think Hughes is the guy at number 1 for most people around the league and that includes the Devils

Hughes is still most likely to go at 1 and I feel that is the case by at least a fair margin.

i would opine that hughes has played an awful lot of hockey this year. if i'm a horse handicapper (somewhat) i'm throwing this tourney (race) out.

Yup

He’s carrying a very high load of games for a kid his age.

And again, he’s the only amateur on a roster composed entirely of NHL players. He just wasn’t going to get much ice time on that team in all likelihood unless he was dominant in a limited role at the outset and he wasn’t

No one should be surprised he wasn’t

Even players of that ability level need big blocks of ice time to produce most of the time. Cut Sidney Crosby down to 13 minutes a night and see how much he gives you. I guarantee it’s going to be less and it’s going to be harder for him to find his groove and get going.

its cool to have an argument over what side of the shiny silver dollar is nicer... much better than the cleaner end of a turd debate.

No matter how this shakes out, its going to be really fucking cool.