Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Senior Member Squirt Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWantsTheCup View Post
    I meant if I’m the Rangers I rather stay at 20 then trade the pick plus Kreider just to move up to 10. Unless there’s some player that should’ve went top 5 that’s still on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Value-wise, that’s probably true.
    But if you’re rebuilding and you aren’t going/wanting to pay Kreider, I’ll take the pick at 10 instead.

Senior Member Squirt Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    I still think JD and Gorton are saying they are sticking to the rebuild but actually trying to make playoffs this season and maybe a run the following season.
    Look at a team like the Blues. They really arenít all that talented of a team in my opinion.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I still think JD and Gorton are saying they are sticking to the rebuild but actually trying to make playoffs this season and maybe a run the following season.
    Look at a team like the Blues. They really arenít all that talented of a team in my opinion.

Wait... seriously?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

I donít think it works that way. JD has said over and over patience is paramount. Would they like to make the playoffs next season? Of course. But I donít think that means anything. Theyíre going to make the decisions that best help build the team for long term success. ďTrying to make a runĒ implies theyíll be selling first round picks and young players to the highest bidder and I just donít see that being the case in two years.

I think the team will be talented enough next season to be better than they were this season. How much better depends more on what happens at defense and how effective Kravstov and Kakko are in their rookie seasons. That said they missed the playoffs by 20 points. Thereís a ton of ground to make up.

Re: Blues. Youíre wrong haha.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I don’t think it works that way. JD has said over and over patience is paramount. Would they like to make the playoffs next season? Of course. But I don’t think that means anything. They’re going to make the decisions that best help build the team for long term success. “Trying to make a run” implies they’ll be selling first round picks and young players to the highest bidder and I just don’t see that being the case in two years.

I think the team will be talented enough next season to be better than they were this season. How much better depends more on what happens at defense and how effective Kravstov and Kakko are in their rookie seasons. That said they missed the playoffs by 20 points. There’s a ton of ground to make up.

Re: Blues. You’re wrong haha.
    No he's not. 3 players over 50 points. None over 80. They have a good defense and have gotten some timely goaltending. There's a reason they only accumulated 99 points during the season, were the 4th worst playoff team, and a very small minority picked them to even get out of the 1st round against the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    No he's not. 3 players over 50 points. None over 80. They have a good defense and have gotten some timely goaltending. There's a reason they only accumulated 99 points during the season, were the 4th worst playoff team, and a very small minority picked them to even get out of the 1st round against the Jets.
    They started out horribly. The worst team in the league at Christmas. That's the only reason they didn't win the division -- in fact they lost the division on the last day of the season. "4th worst" is not the proper way of thinking about it. They were the best team in the NHL in the second half.

I agree they're not loaded with offensive game breakers but they have at least two. To say they're not that talented is wrong. They're a heavy team. Good defensive team. Good goaltending. They're solid all around.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    In a league where expansion teams make the finals and teams with the worst record on January 3 maybe win the cup, I'm not sure why you have to expect to wait through three years of rebuilding just to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    In a league where expansion teams make the finals and teams with the worst record on January 3 maybe win the cup, I'm not sure why you have to expect to wait through three years of rebuilding just to make the playoffs.
    It's not about waiting three years, it's about not doing anything dumb to mortgage the future. I think the Rangers should be trying to model themselves after the Bruins. Year after year they give themselves a chance. That's all you need to do.
    GORTON 2020

The Blues are a big, heavy veteran driven team who play absolutely incredible structured defensive hockey.
    What they have been able to do is in no way indicative of what the Rangers may or may not be able to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    They started out horribly. The worst team in the league at Christmas. That's the only reason they didn't win the division -- in fact they lost the division on the last day of the season. "4th worst" is not the proper way of thinking about it. They were the best team in the NHL in the second half.

I agree they're not loaded with offensive game breakers but they have at least two. To say they're not that talented is wrong. They're a heavy team. Good defensive team. Good goaltending. They're solid all around.
    Playing a good defensive game with good goaltending hides a lot of shortcomings in talent. As a Rangers fan, you've seen this for the better part of the past decade.

Tarasenko is the best forward the Blues have. Ironically, he's around Panarin's tier. Probably half a rung lower.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Team that beat pretty much the best teams in the west and is one win away from a cup against the 2nd best regular season team in east isn't talented?

What have we become here lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Team that beat pretty much the best teams in the west and is one win away from a cup against the 2nd best regular season team in east isn't talented?

What have we become here lol?
    "isn't talented" != "not all that talented". I took it to mean they are not as talented as many of the other teams that were in the playoffs. It's a shining example that you can win with less talent. Credit to the Blues playing some great hockey.

"isn't talented" != "not all that talented". I took it to mean they are not as talented as many of the other teams that were in the playoffs. It's a shining example that you can win with less talent. Credit to the Blues playing some great hockey.
    Bingo. Most talented teams donít always win. Iím sure most hockey experts would agree that Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Boston, Winnipeg and Nashville have more talent on their teams than St. Louis. Blues remind me of the Rangers teams that just couldnít quite get over the hump with Hank in net when lots of Rangers fans complained the team didnít have enough scoring talent.

Senior Member Squirt Division Progrocker's Avatar
    Fuck the cubs, go Blues!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Bingo. Most talented teams donít always win. Iím sure most hockey experts would agree that Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Boston, Winnipeg and Nashville have more talent on their teams than St. Louis. Blues remind me of the Rangers teams that just couldnít quite get over the hump with Hank in net when lots of Rangers fans complained the team didnít have enough scoring talent.

Ok, cool. So then we can shift this and stop equating talent with scoring, so the conversation is moot.

Erik Christensen and Rob Schremp had talent and were terrible hockey players who couldn't score.

The word talent in the NHL can't be relegated to the ability to score.
    Last edited by Pete; 06-09-2019 at 07:50 AM.

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Every NHL player has some sort of talent or they wouldnít be in the NHL. Theres just different levels of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    I can’t call it waiting
    A true, complete, well formulated, and properly executed rebuild is generally going to result in 3 seasons of missing the playoffs. And that’s a fair price to pay if you’re good for a long period of time afterwards

Senior Member Midget Division
    back to the 1 / 2 debate. we are just so in the driver seat here. going to be so much fun to watch this group come together and grow.

i'm not sure we can compete until we can grow into our young defense, but that's going to be interesting to watch as well.

LGR.
    Acqua in bocca

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    back to the 1 / 2 debate. we are just so in the driver seat here. going to be so much fun to watch this group come together and grow.

i'm not sure we can compete until we can grow into our young defense, but that's going to be interesting to watch as well.

LGR.
    Agreed. Much of what they may achieve hinges on a group of young D, many of whom have yet to play at the NHL level yet and will probably need a fair amount of time to develop once they reach the NHL as well. Improvement should come over the next couple of seasons but with so many unproven players it’s likely a while before they have a serious shot at winning

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    I can’t call it waiting
    A true, complete, well formulated, and properly executed rebuild is generally going to result in 3 seasons of missing the playoffs. And that’s a fair price to pay if you’re good for a long period of time afterwards
    Yeah - this.

We got a stroke of luck this year w/the draft lottery win and getting to a spot where the talent drop-off isn't big from 1-2. That said - we're going to be icing a team with an average age of "gets carded to go to the movies" next year, and while these kids are pretty damn talented, they're still young. If we're within striking distance of the playoffs next year, it's a big deal. More likely, we're in the lottery pile again, and hopefully for the last time in a while. And that's OK - we could get stupidly lucky and win the thing again, and walk away with Lafreniere or Byfield or any of the crazy talented players at the top of the 2020 draft.

And heck, we're probably picking twice in the 2020 1st round too - if not because of Zucc, because of a TDL deal.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast