Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 908

Thread: 2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

  1. #461
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17,350
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Ok. Having "exceptional playmaking skills", "excellent breakaway speed and edgework" on top of "a heavy release he uses to scores big goals" doesn't sound like phrases that are usually thrown around to describe dependable but unspectacular 3C's. It's certainly not what comes to mind if you were to describe Howden.

    But, like I said, I've never seen Tomasino play so you could very well be right.
    It's not a good comparison (Howden) - I'll own that, fair - but every single year there's a group of centers in the late 1st/early 2nd described as having "exceptional passing skill", "great speed", "strong edgework", a "knack for the net", "deceptively responsible in the defensive zone" etc.

    Tomasino feels like he belongs in that group for 2019
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  2. #462
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17,350
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Not sure, to be honest.

    We've been doing well in the 20s over the last two drafts, but our overarching first round trend since '17 is strong European scouting over the last few years (Miller being the exception). I'd expect that trend to continue to play out here. I'd actually be kinda surprised if we ended up w/York, but if we're looking at Seider, Soderstrom, or an unexpectedly falling Broberg, I bet we pull the trigger and get the guy we want.

    This could cut the other way too; I'm thinking we've seen a lot of Finnish hockey, and if we think Heinola, Honka, or Puistola is the guy we need, we could fall back a few picks too.
    I'll add here - I think Heinola is Reunanen's defensive partner on Lukko
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  3. #463
    Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'll add here - I think Heinola is Reunanen's defensive partner on Lukko
    I think you're right on your post before, G man; That #20 may get dealt in a package to move up. I would love to get my hands on Bowen Byram, but I think he's slated to go #3 overall. Alex Turcotte is looking like #5 as well. He's a good looking player right now as well.

    What do you guys for top 10? I got this so far as of today:

    1. Hughes - NJ
    2. Kakko - NYR
    3. Byram - Chi
    4. Cozens - Col
    5. Turcotte - LA
    6. Podkolzin - Det
    7. Caufield - Buf
    8. Dach - Anh
    9. York - Edm
    10. Newhook - Van
    Last edited by Ozzy; 06-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.

  4. #464
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17,350
    Rep Power
    183
    I'll play some

    1. NJD - Hughes
    2. NYR - Kakko
    3. CHI - Turcotte
    4. COL - Byram
    5. LA - Cozens
    6. DET - Kaliyev
    7. BUF - Caufield
    8. EDM - Dach
    9. ANA - Krebs
    10. VAN - York
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  5. #465
    Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'll play some

    1. NJD - Hughes
    2. NYR - Kakko
    3. CHI - Turcotte
    4. COL - Byram
    5. LA - Cozens
    6. DET - Kaliyev
    7. BUF - Caufield
    8. EDM - Dach
    9. ANA - Krebs
    10. VAN - York
    Podkolzin is the wild card...He can possibly go anywhere from 3 to 31...so it's tough with him! LOL

    But that looks good too, G Man!

  6. #466
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17,350
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Podkolzin is the wild card...He can possibly go anywhere from 3 to 31...so it's tough with him! LOL

    But that looks good too, G Man!
    Yeah, I have no idea where to slot him at all. His skill is undeniable, but my understanding of where the hype is coming from is largely the strength of his international play. If he goes 3rd, I won't be surprised. If he goes 33rd, I won't be surprised.

    I think if you're looking to hit a homerun with a high risk/high reward goalscorer earlier in the draft, you go Caufield or Kaliyev.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  7. #467
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,750
    Rep Power
    354
    1. NJD - Hughes
    2. NYR - Kakko
    3. CHI - Turcotte
    4. COL - Cozens
    5. LA - Dach
    6. DET - Byram
    7. BUF - Caufield
    8. EDM - Zegras
    9. ANA - Broberg
    10. VAN - Krebs
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  8. #468
    Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    RodrigueGabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    706
    Rep Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'll play some

    1. NJD - Hughes
    2. NYR - Kakko
    3. CHI - Turcotte
    4. COL - Byram
    5. LA - Cozens
    6. DET - Kaliyev
    7. BUF - Caufield
    8. EDM - Dach
    9. ANA - Krebs
    10. VAN - York
    I gotta think Zegras is going higher in that mix. Here's mine.

    1. Hughes - NJ
    2. Kakko -NYR
    3. Turcotte - CHI
    4. Zegras - COL
    5. Byrum - LA
    6. Cozens - DET
    7. Dach - BUF
    8. Podkolzin - ANH
    9. Caufield - EDM
    10. Boldy - VAN

  9. #469
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17,350
    Rep Power
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    1. NJD - Hughes
    2. NYR - Kakko
    3. CHI - Turcotte
    4. COL - Cozens
    5. LA - Dach
    6. DET - Byram
    7. BUF - Caufield
    8. EDM - Zegras
    9. ANA - Broberg
    10. VAN - Krebs
    I debated Byram/Cozens w/Colorado but eventually thought an NHL-ready defender would mean more to the team right now. What led you to give them Cozens instead?

    FWIW, if Chicago passes on Turcotte, I'd have him go to the Avs.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  10. #470
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,750
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Yeah, I have no idea where to slot him at all. His skill is undeniable, but my understanding of where the hype is coming from is largely the strength of his international play. If he goes 3rd, I won't be surprised. If he goes 33rd, I won't be surprised.

    I think if you're looking to hit a homerun with a high risk/high reward goalscorer earlier in the draft, you go Caufield or Kaliyev.
    Riskiest picks out there, IMO. Jack Hughes' linemate in last season's draft fell a bit. And more-so since.

    Kaliyev, I've gone back and forth. He has a knack for scoring and putting up points. But I'm not impressed with his skating and play without the puck. He reminds me a little bit of Grachev or Kabanov, and his transition to the NHL could go either way. Not a guy I'd use a top pick on. Maybe think about it at 20, only based on his production in the OHL.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #471
    Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Riskiest picks out there, IMO. Jack Hughes' linemate in last season's draft fell a bit. And more-so since.

    Kaliyev, I've gone back and forth. He has a knack for scoring and putting up points. But I'm not impressed with his skating and play without the puck. He reminds me a little bit of Grachev or Kabanov, and his transition to the NHL could go either way. Not a guy I'd use a top pick on. Maybe think about it at 20, only based on his production in the OHL.
    .....try this one on for size, my man:

    If Podkolzin is still around at #20, do we take him?

  12. #472
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,750
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I debated Byram/Cozens w/Colorado but eventually thought an NHL-ready defender would mean more to the team right now. What led you to give them Cozens instead?

    FWIW, if Chicago passes on Turcotte, I'd have him go to the Avs.
    Avs pretty stacked in defensive prospects, arent they?
    Cozens is great fit for that second line. Reminds me a bit of Sakic, for some reason. For the Avs, I have Cozens slightly higher than Turcotte, although I personally prefer Turcotte (today). I think Cozens might be a bit closer to making an NHL impact than Turcotte. I can see Cozens potentially playing next season, and certainly the season after that.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  13. #473
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,750
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    .....try this one on for size, my man:

    If Podkolzin is still around at #20, do we take him?
    Probably yes. Depends who else is there. But any player dropping from #2 in some pre-season rankings to 20 is a huge red flag - but with Kakko/Hughes, you can take the chance.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  14. #474
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,888
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    .....try this one on for size, my man:

    If Podkolzin is still around at #20, do we take him?
    I say absolutely. I think this guy is ultra skilled...maybe has some growing up to do but with our slew of Russians maybe they can help him mature. I think he's long gone before our 2nd pick, however.

  15. #475
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,884
    Rep Power
    72
    If Podkolzin is there at #20 (which I very much doubt he'll be) I think you simply have to pull the trigger.
    Too much upside there to pass on. Exactly the type of swing for the fences pick that makes sense at that point.
    I think the drop in ratings is more to do with contract and availability than anything else.

  16. #476
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,999
    Rep Power
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    If Podkolzin is there at #20 (which I very much doubt he'll be) I think you simply have to pull the trigger.
    Too much upside there to pass on. Exactly the type of swing for the fences pick that makes sense at that point.
    I think the drop in ratings is more to do with contract and availability than anything else.
    Agreed. Kakko and Podkolzin would be an absolute coup. Rangers have a great track record with bringing over russian players. I wouldn't be nervous about it at all.
    GORTON 2020

  17. #477
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,888
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Agreed. Kakko and Podkolzin would be an absolute coup. Rangers have a great track record with bringing over russian players. I wouldn't be nervous about it at all.
    And since he's probably not coming for a couple of years, it helps stagger the entry-level deals a bit.

  18. #478
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    801
    Rep Power
    19
    Assuming they stay with the #20 pick, these are my four picks if they're avail.
    1. Kaliyev
    2. Lavoie
    3. Seider
    4. Harley
    All are 6'3" or 6'4" and most are not done growing. Rangers need some big kids, IMO.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  19. #479
    Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    1,383
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    Assuming they stay with the #20 pick, these are my four picks if they're avail.
    1. Kaliyev
    2. Lavoie
    3. Seider
    4. Harley
    All are 6'3" or 6'4" and most are not done growing. Rangers need some big kids, IMO.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Yes....I agree 100%, Brown!! Looks like by the way the Blues are playing, smash-mouth hockey still has a place in the NHL. ....at least in the playoffs

    I know, Future!!! Here we go again!! LOL

    How long before we sign Marty McSorely to protect Kakko??

  20. #480
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,750
    Rep Power
    354
    For #20 and 2nd rd pick.

    1. Newhook (0.3% chance he's available at 20. But at 16 (COL - Knight) or 18 (DAL - Russian FWD), might be able to move up a few spots)
    2. Lavoie
    3. Hoglander (rising)
    4. Dorofeyev
    Poulin
    Foote
    Beecher
    Kaliyev (dropping)
    Mutala
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •