Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Senior Member Mite Division Chytiljuice's Avatar
    IMO Kakko performing like he is, is the greatest thing we could possibly hope for. If the Devils take Hughes... we get this monster who is tearing it up right now at Worlds. If the Devils change it up and take Kakko we get the consensus #1 since he was 16 who is absolutely DYNAMIC with the puck and just tore up the U18 Tourney. Either way I see it, our NY Rangers will be getting an absolute stud and I am very very excited about that if you couldn't already tell lol.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Totally agree the rangers are in a win win situation here. I just don’t get why anybody would be disappointed either way.

Idk either man, a lot of people sound pissed at the thought that we'd end up with Hughes... Are you kidding me??? I'd jump through the roof!

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    I think, for me at least (and the title of this thread says it all), after NJ got the number one pick we all assumed Kakko was our guy. He's kind of become "our thing." Like I was convinced that watching him in this tournament would be the equivalent of watching a player already in our farm system, especially after Hughes' performance over the past month. Kakko couldn't help but feel like a bit of a consolation prize, somewhat soured by NJ getting Hughes because, as we all know, we're never allowed to be truly, truly happy. That said, we all kind of had our hearts set on Kakko.

Of course, Jack Hughes has had a date with destiny as the #1 overall pick since he was 15. I have legitimately been hearing his name for three years already, and anyone who monitors non-professional hockey will agree with me I'm sure. The latest CSS rankings have them firmly as #1 and #2, at least prior to this tournament. Before this season started, it was Jack Hughes and then everyone else in the draft. Even last year when we whiffed on the lottery and actually ended up moving down (I was foolishly hoping that we'd actually end up with Dahlin), I was hoping against all hope that the greatest US-born player since Patrick Kane would end up wearing a Rangers jersey. It just seemed so perfect after all the shit we've been through and our efforts to, nonetheless, play it straight and not tank.

If you had told me last summer that we'd be getting Jack Hughes as long as I didn't ask any questions, I'd have become a mute. Now, however, there's a genuine question of whether he truly is the best player in this draft. Kakko is dominating against men whereas Hughes dominated against boys. Kakko has size and looks to be more NHL-ready.

Honestly I go back and forth, but mainly the place I'm at mentally is where I started after the lottery happened (albeit with some obvious ups and downs based on recent developments): we quite literally cannot lose. Either we get the chance to draft a franchise center like we've NEVER drafted in almost a century, or we get a big, physical complete package winger that has done the impossible in changing the minds of many scouts regarding Hughes' unquestioned status as the best player in this draft.

Truly, either way, this year's lottery was arguably the best thing to happen to this franchise since June 14, 1994.
    Last edited by Ranger Lothbrok; 05-12-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    Hidden Content

“'Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.” Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold.

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    I think, for me at least (and the title of this thread says it all), after NJ got the number one pick we all assumed Kakko was our guy. He's kind of become "our thing." Like I was convinced that watching him in this tournament would be the equivalent of watching a player already in our farm system, especially after Hughes' performance over the past month. Kakko couldn't help but feel like a bit of a consolation prize, somewhat soured by NJ getting Hughes because, as we all know, we're never allowed to be truly, truly happy. That said, we all kind of had our hearts set on Kakko.

That said, Jack Hughes has had a date with destiny as the #1 overall pick since he was 15. I have legitimately been hearing his name for three years already, and anyone who monitors non-professional hockey will agree with me I'm sure. The latest CSS rankings have them firmly as #1 and #2, at least prior to this tournament. Before this season started, it was Jack Hughes and then everyone else in the draft. Even last year when we whiffed on the lottery and actually ended up moving down (I was foolishly hoping that we'd actually end up with Dahlin), I was hoping against all hope that the greatest US-born player since Patrick Kane would end up wearing a Rangers jersey. It just seemed so perfect after all the shit we've been through and our efforts to, nonetheless, play it straight and not tank.

If you had told me last summer that we'd be getting Jack Hughes as long as I didn't ask any questions, I'd have become a mute. Now, however, there's a genuine question of whether he truly is the best player in this draft. Kakko is dominating against men whereas Hughes dominated against boys. Kakko has size and looks to be more NHL-ready.

Honestly I go back and forth, but mainly the place I'm at mentally is where I started after the lottery happened (albeit with some obvious ups and downs based on recent developments): we quite literally cannot lose. Either we get the chance to draft a franchise center like we've NEVER drafted in almost a century, or we get a big, physical complete package winger that has done the impossible in changing the minds of many scouts regarding Hughes' unquestioned status as the best player in this draft.

Truly, either way, this year's lottery was arguably the best thing to happen to this franchise since June 14, 1994.
    Very eloquent description of where we're at. Poignant even.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Yea we’re getting Hughes.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Squirt Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    It’s a no lose situation for the Rangers . While no one has thrown around the whole “generational talent” label, it’s clear that both players are franchise players one day in all likelihood. As stated previously many times on this forum, the pressure is on the Devils to make the choice essentially for the both themselves and for the Rangers. The Rangers simply get whichever of the two is left at 2.

There are 3 things I do think
    1) Neither team is going off the board. It’s Hughes and Kakko going 1&2. Just depends on the order
    2) Neither team is trading their pick
    3) Regardless of anything, still almost impossible to see Devils passing on Hughes

It’s a no lose situation for the Rangers . While no one has thrown around the whole “generational talent” label, it’s clear that both players are franchise players one day in all likelihood. As stated previously many times on this forum, the pressure is on the Devils to make the choice essentially for the both themselves and for the Rangers. The Rangers simply get whichever of the two is left at 2.

1) Neither team is going off the board. It’s Hughes and Kakko going 1&2. Just depends on the order
    3) Regardless of anything, still almost impossible to see Devils passing on Hughes

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post

Yep. Agree with all of this.

Is anyone else watching the USA vs Finland game?? After one period i think i saw Hughes only get one maybe two shifts. Whats the deal with that?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chytiljuice View Post
    Is anyone else watching the USA vs Finland game?? After one period i think i saw Hughes only get one maybe two shifts. Whats the deal with that?
    probably tired from playing 30 games in 40 days.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Chytiljuice View Post
    Haven't seen much of Fox either.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Skjei named USA’s best player, thats nice. Someone watched the game? How was Skjei, Kreider and Fox?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kakko got about 18 minutes...Hughes only 7. Kakko looked strong on a few shifts. In OT he was able to hold the puck with Suter all over him for quite a while. Hughes birthday tomorrow which means he is not required to wear bird cage anymore. Hughes is a bit part on this team, while Kakko is out there in a lot of big spots.

Was a quiet game. Did not notice Fox much. Kreider’s line seemed like best one for US. Skjei had solid game.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Just read that Kakko has both type 1 diabetes and cieliac disease. Anyone else read that and have any idea if it’s a concern for his career

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Just read that Kakko has both type 1 diabetes and cieliac disease. Anyone else read that and have any idea if it’s a concern for his career
    Bobby Clarke had the sugars. Didn’t hurt him

Except at the Garden during a game in 78 when my friends dad threw a box of Domino Sugar at him and hit him with it on the bench

The usher threw him out and then had drinks with him later

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Celiac is gluten intolerance. Don't see why it would effect his career.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    So he's basically got to eat nothing but protein?

He'll be fine.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Recently diagnosed?
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Max Domi has diabetes and he manages just fine.

And, as mentioned before, Celiac's is an annoyance that won't affect performance.

Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast