• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few Quinn interviews posted on rangers website. He seems pretty excited about top 2. “There’s the top two... then the rest”

He's not the only one, Josh!! I've had a boner in my shorts about this since Bettman yanked our number out of his machine! :rofl:

If, and this is a big if, Podkolzin starts dropping because of signability issues, I'd be all over trying to trade up to get him.

Podzolkin's thing isn't just signability. He's also said pretty clearly he wants to stay in Russia, and it's that he's still on a deal that has 2 more years. If you're picking in the top 5, top 10, maybe even top 15, it's really hard to think about your first round pick's first taste of NA hockey being 26 months out...if you can convince him to come over in 2021.

If there's smoke to this fire - what team can honestly justify taking him in the top 15? Chicago winning the lottery might change their tune as to whether they want to gamble and wait with #3.

Bluntly, this isn't a situation you throw a first rounder at unless you've got an ace in the hole to ensure that he's on NA soil in 2021, or you can afford the risk/wait. I'm not surprised if he's still there at the Winnipeg pick.

Podzolkin's thing isn't just signability. He's also said pretty clearly he wants to stay in Russia, and it's that he's still on a deal that has 2 more years. If you're picking in the top 5, top 10, maybe even top 15, it's really hard to think about your first round pick's first taste of NA hockey being 26 months out...if you can convince him to come over in 2021.

If there's smoke to this fire - what team can honestly justify taking him in the top 15? Chicago winning the lottery might change their tune as to whether they want to gamble and wait with #3.

Bluntly, this isn't a situation you throw a first rounder at unless you've got an ace in the hole to ensure that he's on NA soil in 2021, or you can afford the risk/wait. I'm not surprised if he's still there at the Winnipeg pick.

I'd have a hard time imagining him being there at 22 or beyond. He's way too talented. I'm not saying I want to move up to the top 10 to get him but moving up to 15 or so would be a steal. Plus, we probably don't care so much if he does stay there for a couple of seasons. We'll already have Kakko. No one is expecting Miller to start on the Rangers next year...sometimes you grab a guy that's going to be 3 or so years out just based on the metrics and the assumed growth. I'd be okay doing the same with Podzolkin in this scenario.

I'd have a hard time imagining him being there at 22 or beyond. He's way too talented. I'm not saying I want to move up to the top 10 to get him but moving up to 15 or so would be a steal. Plus, we probably don't care so much if he does stay there for a couple of seasons. We'll already have Kakko. No one is expecting Miller to start on the Rangers next year...sometimes you grab a guy that's going to be 3 or so years out just based on the metrics and the assumed growth. I'd be okay doing the same with Podzolkin in this scenario.

It also helps stagger re-signing years. If he didn't plan on coming to NA, he wouldn't have entered the draft.

#2 and #18-22 + many other picks (maybe even another 1st, Dallas up 3-2 in the 1st round). We?ve had 2 really good drafts (especially last years), but this upcoming draft will most likely be the best in NYR history (mostly because of kakko, but still).

I want the playoffs to end, I need draft day!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Where does the Winnipeg pick fall now that they’ve been eliminated by St. Louis? Or does that not get determined until after round 2?

Depends on the Conference Finals matchups.

No lower than 22nd. Could be as high as 18th.

Did anyone see New Jersey Devils Twitter posted Kakko’s assist? Whats going on here?? Rangers Twitter replied with two thumbs up lol.

Will be absolute chaos if they take Kakko first. Not because he's a lesser talent, but because everyone expects the Devils to take Hughes first.

I kinda want to see that happen haha

They’re going to do their due diligence and take a long look at both players.

They went a little against the grain 2 years ago with Hischier over Nolan Patrick and while its not that close this year given the hype surrounding Hughes and deservedly so as he looks phenomenal, they’re still going to look hard at Kakko and at least consider the notion of selecting him.

In the end though, highly doubt that they pass on Hughes

I hear some GMs draft based on NHL readiness though so you never know ;)

Has anyone actually said that Hughes isn’t NHL ready?

He’s going to play right away. Maybe Kakko is more NHL ready and he is the better, more productive, and more immediate impact player at the outset. But Hughes is a star before too long.

Did anyone see New Jersey Devils Twitter posted Kakko?s assist? Whats going on here?? Rangers Twitter replied with two thumbs up lol.

Will be absolute chaos if they take Kakko first. Not because he's a lesser talent, but because everyone expects the Devils to take Hughes first.

I kinda want to see that happen haha

This reply was pretty good:

Link:

Oh I know that dude

Sorry if it landed the wrong way.

I was saying that just to put it out there

All good - the knock on Hughes is size which will

Come eventually (hopefully) but I?d say size is very important when transitioning from playing boys to playing men. Just look at skinner and his injuries.

Though whomever ends up drafting Hughes will likely play him next season one way or the other so we agree there.

All good - the knock on Hughes is size which will

Come eventually (hopefully) but I’d say size is very important when transitioning from playing boys to playing men. Just look at skinner and his injuries.

Though whomever ends up drafting Hughes will likely play him next season one way or the other so we agree there.

He’s underweight. Not undersized

He’s fine at 5’10”. Probably grow to 5’11” or 6’. Which is fine. That’s Crosby sized

The 165 lbs is an issue though.

Speed and weight are directly related. That’s why guys are playing lighter.

But he needs to gain some weight.

Playing middle of ice, at that weight, with the ice time he’ll presumably get, that’s a bit dangerous. He’s going to get hit A LOT. That’s what teams will do to slow him down. And he’s not hiding on the wing.

Question is can he gain weight and get stronger without sacrificing too much speed which is his best asset.

He?s underweight. Not undersized

He?s fine at 5?10?. Probably grow to 5?11? or 6?. Which is fine. That?s Crosby sized

The 165 lbs is an issue though.

Speed and weight are directly related. That?s why guys are playing lighter.

But he needs to gain some weight.

Playing middle of ice, at that weight, with the ice time he?ll presumably get, that?s a bit dangerous

I agree with everything here.

I agree with everything here.

Yeah

It’s a valid concern. 165 is VERY light for a center who will play 20 minutes a night against the other teams top defenders and top offensive players. He’s going to get hit and hit and then hit some more.

As an example, they go up to Montreal one night and he plays 20 minutes. 18 of those come against Shea Weber who goes 6’5” 230 and isn’t phased by anyone’s speed or agility.

Then two nights later they go to Tampa and he gets 18 minutes of Hedman.

Now his skill will prevail over time

But he’s definitely carrying risk at that weight in the middle of the ice for 18-20 minutes a night

Shoot, he’s giving up 55 lbs to Morgan Rielly