• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they had costentino on nhl radio this morning. basically he said that many view kakko as the no. 1, but shero probably takes hughes as he has a good relationship with the family. the upcoming tourney may shed some more light on this.

Just out of curiosity , does that number exceed the number of people who feel Hughes is the number 1? And how close has it become? I know the gap has closed fairly significantly, but how wide is it now?

I dont really care. I love kakko and his game, but if we get Hughes we?ll have a nice 1-2 in hughes-zib for many years, and center depth is arguably the most important piece for a cup winning team.

That said, I cant see shero passing on hughes. Mostly because the huge hype he?s had for some years now. I?m pretty sure rangers would draft him if they got the #1 pick too, even tho they like to go off the board for a scandinavian guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity , does that number exceed the number of people who feel Hughes is the number 1? And how close has it become? I know the gap has closed fairly significantly, but how wide is it now?

Can't speak for GM's, who are really the only ones that matter, but I have a spreadsheet of 12 different prospect raters. 11 of them have Hughes at #1, but several were done in January. We'll see if that changes as they are revised and finalized pre-draft, but there is certainly a current of opinion to swim against to pick Kakko first. (NHL Central Scouting gets to punt on this one because they separate N America and everybody else.)

We're basically in a no lose situation. Even though I'm selling my soul for Kakko, I still won't complain about getting Hughes. Either way, both of those guys are going to be a huge win. But I just can't see the Devils passing on Hughes and then he goes to the Rangers just to make them eat shit.

Gorton had the pressure totally taken off him by being #2.

Is it Draft Day yet??????

ESPN put a mock draft out today: http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/26531670/2019-nhl-mock-draft-20-how-kaapo-kakko-jumpstarts-rangers-rebuild

1. New Jersey Devils

Jack Hughes, C, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

Adding Hughes could significantly change the dynamic of New Jersey's offensive attack. A one-two punch of Hughes and Nico Hischier would give the Devils a formidable duo for years to come. Landing the No. 1 pick should also be a nice enticement for Taylor Hall to hang around as he heads into the final year of his contract.

2. New York Rangers

Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga)

Kakko is a game-changer for the Rangers' rebuild. He'd be more of a cornerstone piece than any prospect currently in their deep system. He brings a scoring threat to the wing and can reach the NHL right away.

with there firepower in the bottom of the first they should be able to move up I believe. not sure the top 10 but hearing 3-15 could be interchangeable picks.

That firepower is only 1 pick, unless Tampa has a miracle comeback and Dallas goes to WCF.

Feel you though. I’d rather them assemble a package to move up. NHL isn’t like NFL. Odds of getting a player drop fairly dramatically after picks 15-20 in most draft years. Odds are about the same from late first through the second round. Anything after round 2 is low odds.

I dont even like draft picks, and I still think that would be hard.

To piggyback off Pete, and to stay close to the Rangers, You're talking a 1st plus a prospect for a guy like Kreider with 1 year left. Not the deal that should be made.

Kreider + 1st for a legit/elite first line player - yeah, but I'm not seeing that as an option.

I'm not confident (enough) in next season's defense to use it to move up (Winnipeg pick) in this draft, either, when you could be shipping out a potential lottery pick.