• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Entry Draft / KAKKO SZN

Phil

This is really over indexing on the "bright side". Let's not forget he mostly played more fourth-line minutes because his own play warranted it.

Kid's 19. I'll chalk it up to growing pains.

He's not the first player to struggle in his teens in the NHL. It's perfectly reasonable to think he's got more than what he's shown and will grow into a bigger contributor.

We're having this conversation same time in 2020? Time to think about what he'll really be.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kid's 19. I'll chalk it up to growing pains.

He's not the first player to struggle in his teens in the NHL. It's perfectly reasonable to think he's got more than what he's shown and will grow into a bigger contributor.

We're having this conversation same time in 2020? Time to think about what he'll really be.

He'll be 21 in October...

When's the last time a pick that high was this unimpressive 2 years after the draft and went on to justify his selection status? #never

When's the last time a pick that high was this unimpressive 2 years after the draft and went on to justify his selection status? #never

At what point would you just be satisfied with his play? If he becomes a reliable NHL player, does it really matter where he was drafted? Considering we are already two years beyond this draft and still somehow talking about drafting him at 7, in complete hindsight, who would you want instead? The list of players who have significant NHL time from that draft is very short.

I just don't understand why anyone would expect Andersson to be a great player at 20 years old.

At what point would you just be satisfied with his play? If he becomes a reliable NHL player, does it really matter where he was drafted? Considering we are already two years beyond this draft and still somehow talking about drafting him at 7, in complete hindsight, who would you want instead? The list of players who have significant NHL time from that draft is very short.

I just don't understand why anyone would expect Andersson to be a great player at 20 years old.

I'd be satisfied if I noticed a shift.

Yes it matters where he was drafted.

I'd have been OK with Middlestadt because of upside.

I don't expect greatness. I expect a spark of hope that he can have an impact at this level. So far there's been none.

Chytil offers hope. Lias offers desperation.

I'd be satisfied if I noticed a shift.

Yes it matters where he was drafted.

I'd have been OK with Middlestadt because of upside.

I don't expect greatness. I expect a spark of hope that he can have an impact at this level. So far there's been none.

Chytil offers hope. Lias offers desperation.

Middlestadt? That's it? Middlestadt or bust? You know he also hasn't been great.

I just don't understand how you can constantly shit on a rookie. I don't get the thought process behind that.

Middlestadt? That's it? Middlestadt or bust? You know he also hasn't been great.

I just don't understand how you can constantly shit on a rookie. I don't get the thought process behind that.

I think the medal throwing incident got under a lot of people's skin. For me it was who cares...

Way too soon to give up on Lias or think he has no potential.

I mean look up most of the other seventh overall selections of recent years. Most weren't in the NHL or playing pro as early.

The issue isn't just the lack of results, but lofty expectations for a player being forced to make a jump he wasn't ready for. They've bounced this kid around because they haven't had a set plan for him once they realized they misjudged how ready he was. Andersson's lack of progress is both a result of him just not being quite as good as expected and the team having no plan for him. They need to get him grinding out his issues with a skills coach. Tampa does that with a lot of their players who struggle with skating. They get better.

I've acknowledged plenty that his draft class was largely meh.

If seeing that his skating is meh, shot is meh and attitude is piss poor... Then ok it's shitting on him. I didn't realize we has to keep the rose tinted glasses on. It's ok to see some upside in some players but not see lack of development in others? Ok.

This is a kid who does nothing well at the NHL level, doesn't have a motor that doesn't quit, and then complains about being on the 4th line.

The 3 center positions were wide open after the deadline and we ended the years with Strome and Howden as the 2 and 3 C. That should tell you everything you need to know about Lias.

It's not that I've written him off. It's that HE has shown ZERO to make anyone think he can play. Even his AHL numbers are meh. I hope he proves me wrong but he looks like Manny Malhotra right now.

Sean Couturier, Elias Lindholm, Brayden Schenn.

It happens.

He gets the 3c role, I'd hope he gives me 35-ish points.

so you are saying to give up a first rounfer to move up how many stops,i could see a second or third but a first ,thats too steep

The guys going from 3 to around 13 in this draft are so good that I highly doubt anyone in those spots are willing to move back unless the price is exorbitant.

Sean Couturier, Elias Lindholm, Brayden Schenn.

It happens.

He gets the 3c role, I'd hope he gives me 35-ish points.

Go look at Schenn and Coutourier AHL numbers and junior numbers. Lias is nothing like them. They were scorers at every level who took time to find their NHL games.

Lias not so much.

Go look at Schenn and Coutourier AHL numbers and junior numbers. Lias is nothing like them. They were scorers at every level who took time to find their NHL games.

Lias not so much.

Not entirely true. He's struggled since he came to NA. In Sweden, he dominated junior and was one of the better U21 scorers in both his draft and D+1 seasons.

He has yet to show anything significant here in North America. Even in Hartford, he's been mostly not good, benefitting off of production from weak plays or secondary assists, so I'll give you that. He's capable of more. How much more I don't know, but there's something wrong in his development. Maybe he's just not that good on this side of the pond. Maybe he just needs more time. Brayden Schenn took four post-draft seasons to become a lineup regular.

Not entirely true. He's struggled since he came to NA. In Sweden, he dominated junior and was one of the better U21 scorers in both his draft and D+1 seasons.

He has yet to show anything significant here in North America. Even in Hartford, he's been mostly not good, benefitting off of production from weak plays or secondary assists, so I'll give you that. He's capable of more. How much more I don't know, but there's something wrong in his development. Maybe he's just not that good on this side of the pond. Maybe he just needs more time. Brayden Schenn took four post-draft seasons to become a lineup regular.

It doesn't really concern me what guys do on the big ice. We agree he's been garbage in NA.

Again, I'm not saying he'll never be anything. I just don't see anything to be excited about yet.

Scott Wheelers final top 10:

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Turcotte

4. Cozens

5. Byram

6. Krebs

7. Boldy

8. Dach

9. York

10. Caufield

https://theathletic.com/947751/2019/05/06/wheeler-final-ranking-for-the-2019-nhl-drafts-top-100-prospects/

Guys around the WPG pick:

17. Podkolzin

18. Hoglander

19. Broberg

20. Honka

21. Heinola

If Podkolzin makes it that deep in the draft we should do whatever it takes to move up a few spots to nab him. I wouldn't be worried about him coming over from the KHL if he was on a team like with have with Igor and Kravstov making the jump this year. Also if Podkolzin is gone and Caufiled makes it to 10 that would be a viable spot to move up to for what I believe will be a stud goal scorer in the League...

If Podkolzin makes it that deep in the draft we should do whatever it takes to move up a few spots to nab him. I wouldn't be worried about him coming over from the KHL if he was on a team like with have with Igor and Kravstov making the jump this year. Also if Podkolzin is gone and Caufiled makes it to 10 that would be a viable spot to move up to for what I believe will be a stud goal scorer in the League...

I think he goes earlier. Wheeler just has a thing with his lack of ability/willingness to involve his teammates.

It doesn't really concern me what guys do on the big ice. We agree he's been garbage in NA.

Again, I'm not saying he'll never be anything. I just don't see anything to be excited about yet.

Wow I agree 100%. Also it?s not that he can?t be anything but it?s also far from a guarantee he will. It just goes to show things can change. Last year at this time it was probably considered the rangers were best set up at center in the future. Well it now looks like the glaring need in the pipeline.

I have no idea how you can focus so much on Lias. We have chytil, kravtsov, kakko/hughes, miller, Lundkvist, shesterkin and many more good prospects and picks. So far all our picks since 2016 looks really good except Lias and thats the one you focus on. With all the talent coming in now, if Lias can turn into a solid 3rd/4th line C that can PK its fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What do you mean with this? Don't think its a big chance Podkolzin dies.

I don't think that's what he was getting at. Cherapanov dropped because of concerns about signing him/bringing him to NA. Not health.

I'm with you 100%. I think past Rangers practice has me even a little concerned that they take him at #2 which would be an absolute travesty.

I have no idea how you can focus so much on Lias. We have chytil, kravtsov, kakko/hughes, miller, Lundkvist, shesterkin and many more good prospects and picks. So far all our picks since 2016 looks really good except Lias and thats the one you focus on. With all the talent coming in now, if Lias can turn into a solid 3rd/4th line C that can PK its fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not focusing on lias at all. The point was things change quickly when your talking about prospects. I’m focusing on the center ice position and how the prospect pool perception has changed in one year. Chytil is a good prospect but maybe at wing not center. If Kakko is our pick the rangers are stocked at wing with extremely high ceiling prospects in Kravtsov, Kakko and chytil. The defense boasts miller, fox, Hajek, Lundqvist, Lindgren, and the other Russian kid from the grabner trade. They are also seemingly stocked in goal as well. Heading into the draft last year the rangers deepest prospect pool was considered to be at center. Heading into this years draft and the impending pick of Kakko at 2 the center ice position maybe the area of need.

All of what I’m saying is not disparaging of what they are doing, it’s actually the opposite. They have done a remarkable job of restocking the cupboards. My point was that while goalie may seem well addressed right now a lot can change quickly. And because of that I wouldn’t disregard a goalie prospect like spencer knight because nothing is a guarantee when discussing prospects. If he is the best player on the board I’d take him. Just like I’d take Podkolzin if he was there even though he’s a wing and the rangers are stocked there. Nothing about this post is about doubting any prospect currently in the rangers system. Some will surprise and some will disappoint. I just like the idea of taking the best player available because of the very idea that the rangers seem to have capable prospects at every position.