• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jimmy Vesey on the Block?

Phil

The issue exists on both sides. You can't solely look at data and say "Well he's shooting well above his career high, and that's not sustainable" without watching a game or doing more digging to find out why he's shooting at twice his rate. At least Future went through the process of cherry picking out the lucky goals. ;-)

On his 31 Thoughts 'cast he told Freidman that Quinn told him to just go and make in impact on the game, even if it wasn't on the scoresheet. Maybe that led to taking some pressure off, making better shot selections, relax a little bit. There are plenty of middle 6 players who hover shooting 20%. Cody fuckin Eakin? It's not out of the realm of possibility that a guy who was drafted 5th overall improves on his career shooting percentage as a later bloomer.

I'm not suggesting any of this is fact. I'm saying a lot more goes into it that some people think.

Sure, all of that is entirely possible, but it flies in the face of the historical record which largely suggests this is most likely an abberration. Some guys do thrive in that role. Strome could very well be one of them. I just don't like the risk. It's personal preference.

But you're not paying them to be in the same role or do the dame job or anywhere near the amount of money, so it's moot.

It's not. My argument is to pay impact players and not pay non-impact players. Top-line players get big bucks, top-six players get paid. In my world, third- and fourth-liners you ought to tread lightly with in both term and dollars. This is Strome. The same as it was Hagelin, or Dubinsky, or a slew of others.

I don't want to pay Strome that kind of fringe second-line money for the same reason I wouldn't want to give it (and years) to the players above. I don't see enough reason.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The return on Names, with one overpriced year on his contract, would be minimal, but there is no real reason to keep him around. Vesey would yield a slightly better return, but he has been in the NHL for three years and is no better than he was at the start. Trading them isn't a matter of getting something in return so much as clearing space to give others a shot.

Return? You're hoping to give Namestnikov away. You might be able to get a 3rd for Vesey.
I think Names garners more attention than Vesey. He fits other teams needs more than a guy like Vesey who still, after 3 years, I'm not sure what he's supposed to be. Is he supposed to be a 2nd line winger that'll pot 20-25? Doubtful due to lack of consistency/ offensive acumen. Is he a 3rd line grinder that can chip in some goals? I think this is closer but he's still really not a great grinder/ recoverer. Too inconsistent in effort on a nightly basis to really fill this role either.

I don't doubt that he's got some NHL talents it's just I still don't think he's got an identity.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There isn't any place for either of them. Kreider isn't getting traded as much as people may want it. Besides the fact that he shouldn't be traded because he's really good, we're going to have probably five young Russians on our team and Kreider speaks Russian. That's a factor. Realistically he's probably our next captain.

Panarin-Zib-Kakko

Kreider-Chytl-Buch

Lemieux-Howden-Kravtsov

Fast-Andersson-Strome

And damn it's really crazy to write Kakko in there without having to hope for a miracle to get him now.

I have to think they'll target a legit #2 C now, either in trade or via FA.

Maybe they can start season like what's listed above, and see if that happens internally, but I think it's pretty low chance you get a 2C out of Chytil/Andersson/Howden.

Should also be fun to watch Kakko sit every 4th game in the Quinn Bin.

I have to think they'll target a legit #2 C now, either in trade or via FA.

Maybe they can start season like what's listed above, and see if that happens internally, but I think it's pretty low chance you get a 2C out of Chytil/Andersson/Howden.

Should also be fun to watch Kakko sit every 4th game in the Quinn Bin.

Agree. All of a sudden makes Larry's mention of a Hayes encore sound a little less nutty.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There isn't any place for either of them. Kreider isn't getting traded as much as people may want it. Besides the fact that he shouldn't be traded because he's really good, we're going to have probably five young Russians on our team and Kreider speaks Russian. That's a factor. Realistically he's probably our next captain.

Panarin-Zib-Kakko

Kreider-Chytl-Buch

Lemieux-Howden-Kravtsov

Fast-Andersson-Strome

And damn it's really crazy to write Kakko in there without having to hope for a miracle to get him now.

I think we need to pull the reigns in just a little. I'm very excited about Kakko (or Hughes) but penciling either of them onto a top line seems a little premature. That's asking a hell of a lot of a 18 year old that's never consistently played against the best players in the world. Same goes with Kravtsov. I still think Names is in there based on a veteran presence while alleviating some of the pressure these super young kids will be feeling.

It's funny how I had deluded myself in to thinking he was fine, and the instant I added Kakko to wing depth chart I could admit that he's fucking terrible.

I see the same thing being done with Strome. Sorry, just not a fan and I don't buy the short term production he had with the Rangers.

I see the same thing being done with Strome. Sorry, just not a fan and I don't buy the short term production he had with the Rangers.

Unless I'm confused, but I don't think there is a lot of "I'm a fan of Strome". At least from my personal perspective, I think he is the most useful and effective of the trash heap.

I'd still like to unload all of Vesey, Strome, Namestnikov, Fast