• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Rebuild Centered Around Tricky Artemi Panarin, Kevin Hayes Pursuit

Phil

Only potential tampering penalties prevented Gorton from shouting out the name ?Artemi Panarin,? the impending free-agent winger from Columbus who will be the Blueshirts? primary target on July 1 and who can be expected to command at least $11 million per season on a seven-year deal.

And likely that only the same threat of penalty kept Gorton from blurting out ?Kevin Hayes,? the center who could well be in line for a free-agent return to New York if the numbers align.

Be sure of this: No one expects the process to speed up with sophomores Filip Chytil, Brett Howden and Lias Andersson lining up down the middle behind legit No. 1 Mika Zibanejad.

Throwing money at Panarin does not guarantee that he will accept. Florida, long expected to be a major bidder in the auction, not only has the beach, the weather and no state tax to offer, the Panthers may be on the verge of hiring Joel Quenneville, who coached Panarin in his first two years in the league with Chicago and was livid when informed the Breadman had been traded to Columbus for Brandon Saad.

Before Panarin, though, Gorton and the powers that be will have to declare one way or the other on Chris Kreider, a formidable veteran presence in the room who scored 24 goals over the first 52 games and finished with 28. The Rangers were tied for the eighth-lowest scoring team in the league, so Kreider?s production is not easily dismissed.

But Kreider is poised to enter the final year of his contract and is eligible for a contract extension come July 1. If management does not believe Kreider is consistently dependable enough to merit a deal that would likely come in at six years for around $6.5 million per year and take Kreider through his age 34 season, then it is incumbent upon Gorton to move the winger prior to the draft instead of bringing him back as a rental property waiting to be traded at the deadline.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/08/rangers-see-offseason-as-the-perfect-time-to-speed-up-their-rebuild/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not sure panarin is a lock. he has a home in florida, and quenville and the gm love him, as well as a significant tax benefit comapared to the communist state we live in.

i'm much more concerned about fixing the blueline. As to krieder, i'm o.k. at the term brooks suggests unless u can get a significant return for a team that's looking to go for it.

i'm more interested in tomorrows ping pong lottery, if edmonton gets the first overall pick would it be in play? mcdavid pretty much tossed a hand granade in the front office last week and taking a 17 year old hughes that would help 3-4 years from now may not be the way to go i.e., might be better for them to trade it for assets that can be used now.

i'm not sure panarin is a lock. he has a home in florida, and quenville and the gm love him, as well as a significant tax benefit comapared to the communist state we live in.

Agreed. Definitely not a lock. If they don't get Panarin, there is no other legitimate "speed up" option. It would be a big miss.

Kevin Hayes? I feel like that ship has sailed.

Panarin is definitely not a lock and I also wouldn't sign Kreider to a nearly 7m dollar deal. I get that goals cost you more but we're talking about a guy who hasn't eclipsed 30 in his career.

The fact Kreider didn't get 30 goals when he was at 24 with 30 games left is exactly why he's not guaranteed to get extended. He is as streaky as they come, and the inconsistency should either cost him years or money (i.e., 4 x 7, 5 x 6.5 or 6 x 6).

NY has way more to offer to Panarin...Because it's NY. He'll get more endorsement dollars, and he won't have to play in front of 6k people.

Who's the last notable UFA to sign in with the Panthers in his prime?

NY has way more to offer to Panarin...Because it's NY. He'll get more endorsement dollars, and he won't have to play in front of 6k people.

Who's the last notable UFA to sign in with the Panthers in his prime?

who's the last guy in his prime that signed with us? i say that in jest, sort of.

i'm worried about offering kried's a deal. to me 6 mln for however long will look like the staal contract now does on cap friendly...

Q? How much of a negative impact would NOT signing Kreider demonstrate to other players that the Rangers ship you out just as you are about to get paid? I mean we have plenty of other examples of us Dolaning out lots of dough (see what I did there?) so it might be a moot point, but I'm beginning to wonder about our 'attractiveness' to others. Sure, NYC is a major piece of the bait and playing at "The World's Most Famous Arena" can certainly raise a boner or two for a young player contemplating the future, but savvy player reps might just see it another way. I'm curious about what you think.

Q? How much of a negative impact would NOT signing Kreider demonstrate to other players that the Rangers ship you out just as you are about to get paid? I mean we have plenty of other examples of us Dolaning out lots of dough (see what I did there?) so it might be a moot point, but I'm beginning to wonder about our 'attractiveness' to others. Sure, NYC is a major piece of the bait and playing at "The World's Most Famous Arena" can certainly raise a boner or two for a young player contemplating the future, but savvy player reps might just see it another way. I'm curious about what you think.

I dont think this sends a negative message, nor did it when they traded Callahan.

Buying out multiple players isnt the greatest look. Buying out Lundqvist would definitely cut down on the attractiveness.

They signed Gaborik.

Most guys in their prime dont hit free agency. With Stamkos flirting, and JT hitting the market, maybe its a new trend.

It’s fairly likely even fewer guys hit free agency or test those waters because leaving your current team to sign with a different one costs you a year and millions of dollars on any contract you sign. The guys that do and will leave in the future are doing so to escape a place they don’t want to be or to go to a place they really want to be. If Panarin wanted to be in Columbus he’d just sign an extension. JT desperately wanted to be in Toronto. Stamkos did just as you said. Flirted, but never got serious about leaving.

They signed Gaborik.

Most guys in their prime dont hit free agency. With Stamkos flirting, and JT hitting the market, maybe its a new trend.

To me it seems the trend is the reverse, and not just in the NHL. The MLB has seen a few young guys do this. Young guys getting locked up long term in their early 20s, rather than waiting on their first year of UFA eligibility.

To me it seems the trend is the reverse, and not just in the NHL. The MLB has seen a few young guys do this. Young guys getting locked up long term in their early 20s, rather than waiting on their first year of UFA eligibility.

That’s what’s happening. Guys are establishing themselves big time on their ELC, and teams are giving them 6-8 years and locking them up until they’re 28-29, so there isn’t tons of prime seasons left when they hit the market. That is the risk on Panarin. Turns 28 in October. Gets a 7 year deal. How many prime seasons at huge money will they actually get?

• Like 1

That’s what’s happening. Guys are establishing themselves big time on their ELC, and teams are giving them 6-8 years and locking them up until they’re 28-29, so there isn’t tons of prime seasons left when they hit the market. That is the risk on Panarin. Turns 28 in October. Gets a 7 year deal. How many prime seasons at huge money will they actually get?

I'm not as leery on Panarin. He has a lot less mileage than a typical 28 year old hockey player. He also plays the kind of game that ages extremely well - finesse, vision, high skill. I'd have no trouble believing he has 5 years of a 7 year deal before seeing some dip, and at that point he should still be a good player.

Kreider on the other hand...when his speed starts to deteriorate he is going to have to rely almost exclusively on front of the net presence to be productive. That could be in just a few short years.

I'm not as leery on Panarin. He has a lot less mileage than a typical 28 year old hockey player. He also plays the kind of game that ages extremely well - finesse, vision, high skill. I'd have no trouble believing he has 5 years of a 7 year deal before seeing some dip, and at that point he should still be a good player.

Kreider on the other hand...when his speed starts to deteriorate he is going to have to rely almost exclusively on front of the net presence to be productive. That could be in just a few short years.

I agree with you on Panarin and your logic as to why. But there is still at least a fair degree of risk giving a guy any long-term contract that pays big dollars until age 34-35. But like you I?m less wary on him.

I?m on the fence with Krieder. But that situation needs to be resolved before camp opens in September. Extend him or deal him in the next 4-5 months. They absolutely should not let this spill over into another season. They?ll get more for him in next 4 months with a full year left on his deal than they would in February of 2020 at the deadline. Shit or get off the pot.