• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Rebuild Centered Around Tricky Artemi Panarin, Kevin Hayes Pursuit

Phil

He signed a recapture deal, though, so there's no way he'll just retire.

LTIR would prevent the recapture

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/roberto-luongos-playing-future-looking-uncertain/

“Growing speculation that Roberto Luongo’s health may cost him playing in the National Hockey League in the future,” Kypreos said. “Now, the good news, I guess, when it comes to the contract is, if that’s the case, he’ll go to training camp, fail his physical and that will force him to go to the long-term injured reserve. He would get the remainder of his three-year contract and there’s no recapture penalties to the Florida Panthers and, more importantly, to the Vancouver Canucks.”

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LTIR would prevent the recapture

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/roberto-luongos-playing-future-looking-uncertain/

“Growing speculation that Roberto Luongo’s health may cost him playing in the National Hockey League in the future,” Kypreos said. “Now, the good news, I guess, when it comes to the contract is, if that’s the case, he’ll go to training camp, fail his physical and that will force him to go to the long-term injured reserve. He would get the remainder of his three-year contract and there’s no recapture penalties to the Florida Panthers and, more importantly, to the Vancouver Canucks.”

Right. He would go the same route as others and not formally announce his retirement until after the deal expires.

• 3 weeks later...

If Malkin is practically free, I'd take him. And there should be enough space for Panarin.

Come on Guys!

Panarin - Malkin - Buchnevich

Kreider - Zibanejad - Chytil

Kakko - Datsyuk - Kravtsov

Lemieux - Andersson - Smith

Given his age and durability, I'm not sure I would sign Malkin as a UFA for three years at $9.5 per. That being the case, I wouldn't trade something of value for him. Even if this is something that Gorton would entertain, I think he'd have to wait until the dust settles on UFAs, Kreider and possible buyouts before determining the viability of such a move.

The Pens aren’t trading Malkin for any old shit like Vesey and Strome ffs, so the article is totally redundant.

All things aren’t equal because Panarin only costs money whereas Malkin costs young assets the Rangers would be total idiots to give up for him at this point.

There would be an additional cost for Malkin two years from now when, at age 35, he would have to be protected in the expansion draft (NMC), with the result being the loss of that much more of a valuable commodity in the draft.