• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will Try to Sign Vitali Kravtsov and Igor Shestyorkin Before Next Season

Phil

Georgiev finishes season strong, they want Shestyorkin here next year, and Slats is stepping down? Bye, Hank. Thanks for keeping us a relevant hockey team for the last 13 years. Here’s to hoping someone can fill his shoes both on and off the ice for even 1/2 the time he held court.

Georgiev finishes season strong, they want Shestyorkin here next year, and Slats is stepping down? Bye, Hank. Thanks for keeping us a relevant hockey team for the last 13 years. Here’s to hoping someone can fill his shoes both on and off the ice for even 1/2 the time he held court.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same. And there's no doubt he was the 2nd goalie down the stretch. Georgiev outplayed him significantly from January on.

No. Terrible business decision.

It appears to be the most likely scenario though. What?s the alternative? I don?t think Lundqvist expected to affected by the season like this at all. He looked bad, sounds even worse in interviews. If I were him, I?d be trying to win a cup at this point in my career. Should waive and go to a contender IMO.

The terrible business decision was Sather giving him that huge deal in 2014. Wish him no ill will, he played very well here. But he's now old, on the downside and overpaying him is killing this team's ability to sign talent. And nobody is building any NHL team around a goalie, or at least not overpaying him ridiculously. Feel bad for him, a few lucky breaks in 2012 or 2014 and he might have his name on the Cup. But it didn't happen.As with Messier II, you cannot pay or worse overpay for past performance and especially so in a cap NHL. Problem is NOBODY walks away form this kind of money and his contract is untradeable.

Think there is a situation to keep any eye on in Toronto. Leafs are set to get beat up by the Bruins and then hold a circular firing squad of recrimination. May create an opportunity for both NYR and Lundqvist. With his no trade he's not going to Arizona or Edmonton.

It appears to be the most likely scenario though. What’s the alternative? I don’t think Lundqvist expected to affected by the season like this at all. He looked bad, sounds even worse in interviews. If I were him, I’d be trying to win a cup at this point in my career. Should waive and go to a contender IMO.

What contender needs a goalie AND could afford him?

No: Caps, Pens, Lightning, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Preds, Vegas, Jets, Stars

Maybe: Islanders, Blue Jackets, Hurricanes, Avs, Blues

Chances he would waive his NTC to Winnipeg, Carolina, EDM, slim to none.

Chances the Rangers would trade him to Islanders, Pens or to any contender in the Eastern Conference, again slim to none. Also, Henrik/JT have history and you can cancel them out.

We're stuck with him unless he really does choose to ask for a trade at the next trade deadline for the perfect scenerio where the top team in the NHL loses their #1 goalie for the year.

What contender needs a goalie AND could afford him?

No: Caps, Pens, Lightning, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Preds, Vegas, Jets, Stars

Maybe: Islanders, Blue Jackets, Hurricanes, Avs, Blues

Chances he would waive his NTC to Winnipeg, Carolina, EDM, slim to none.

Chances the Rangers would trade him to Islanders, Pens or to any contender in the Eastern Conference, again slim to none. Also, Henrik/JT have history and you can cancel them out.

We're stuck with him unless he really does choose to ask for a trade at the next trade deadline for the perfect scenerio where the top team in the NHL loses their #1 goalie for the year.

Florida, if they don't get Bob.

It appears to be the most likely scenario though. What’s the alternative? I don’t think Lundqvist expected to affected by the season like this at all. He looked bad, sounds even worse in interviews. If I were him, I’d be trying to win a cup at this point in my career. Should waive and go to a contender IMO.

Define bad, I guess. Mostly, Henrik was fine, he got frustrated - that happens with all players on bad teams. Still though, his 5v5 save % was better than Georgiev's...and better than a bunch of other #1s, including Fleury, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Crawford, Smith, Anderson and Quick. No doubt his play slipped at times, but it's a mental thing, not a physical one. With any sort of competency in front of him, he's still an elite goaltender.

He's still trying to win. He still wants to win here. Hence the horrible play since January, when is was obvious they werent making the playoffs.

The offseason moves (or lack thereof) will help make his decision.

I think he'd rather retire a Ranger than move around the league trying to chase a cup - because that almost never happens to a guy in his situation.

Archived