• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-19 | ECQF | New York Islanders (M2) v. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

Phil

Who wins?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Islanders in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7
    • Penguins in 4
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

I like hockey. I happen to like the Rangers most, but I want what's good for the league and it's future (I'm not saying TBL getting bounced in a first round sweep is good for the league per se, but a #8 seed taking out one of the best teams in the cap era is a good way to get publicity). I want to watch something entertaining. I like storylines.

Having the same 3-4 teams play each other every season isn't as fun, for me, as seeing VGK send Martin Jones repeatedly to the bench for an early exit in their second year of existence. The Islanders bringing in Trotz and Lou, losing Tavares, and signing "plugs" like Komorov and Martin only to go from 31st in the league in GA to first in the league in GA is amazing and they deserve every bit of accolade they receive.

I could go on about other things I like more than the Tampa Bay Lightning or the implications of the pick we received, but I don't think it's going to matter to you, lol.

None of this makes any of it excusable as a Rangers fan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wtf is going on in this board? People cheering for Tampa to lose and giving respect to the Islanders? I know passing a law legalizing weed is close but wtf

I agree. Could it be an age thing? I'm a little older and remember what it was like when the Islander fans abused me on a day to day basis. I mean root how you want. No big deal but I wanted that 1st rounder.

None of this makes any of it excusable as a Rangers fan

I have a lifelong disdain for the Islanders (I was among the in-person casualties on April 12, 1975) and lived through 4 fucking straight Cups, but I like Trotz both for his coaching philosophy and the way he dealt with getting pissed on by Brian McClellan in DC. As soon as we're competitive again, any vestige of that will go away.

Part of it is also...we?re bad. So I still want to watch the sport with a similar vested interest so I grab onto things I like and want to see happen.

Enough Penguins. They?ve won three cups in the last 10 years. First round exit is absolutely fine and it just so happened to be done by a team who had a hell of an offseason and put it all together this season.

What?s not to like?

Someone picked on you in the 70s?

Get over it grandpa.

Wtf is going on in this board? People cheering for Tampa to lose and giving respect to the Islanders? I know passing a law legalizing weed is close but wtf

Cooper is a douche and Tampa basically ended the Rangers run as a legit contender back in 2015. It was all downhill from there. Now I hope the same happens to them and their fake ass fan base.

Fuck the Isles, I guess I just don?t see them as a threat to win the Cup (I do have them getting to the ECF in my bracket). Hope I don?t eat my words.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Part of it is also...we’re bad. So I still want to watch the sport with a similar vested interest so I grab onto things I like and want to see happen.

Enough Penguins. They’ve won three cups in the last 10 years. First round exit is absolutely fine and it just so happened to be done by a team who had a hell of an offseason and put it all together this season.

What’s not to like?

Someone picked on you in the 70s?

Get over it grandpa.

You'll understand when you're older, son.

Cooper is a douche and Tampa basically ended the Rangers run as a legit contender back in 2015. It was all downhill from there. Now I hope the same happens to them and their fake ass fan base.

Fuck the Isles, I guess I just don?t see them as a threat to win the Cup (I do have them getting to the ECF in my bracket). Hope I don?t eat my words.

I think the Rangers did it to themselves rather than Tampa ending their run.

You'll understand when you're older, son.

Holding 35 year grudges over a game we have no control over?

I will admit to cheering Potvin Sucks when I hear the whistle, but do I actually care about Denis Potvin and the legal check he threw on our player (who?a name I don?t even fucking remember) three decades ago? No.

I do care that the Rangers don?t show up to play the Islanders and it?s been that way for a few seasons now, but again, we?re bad. Gimme the number 2 pick on June 23rd and until then, I?ma enjoy playoff hockey.

The Rangers ended their run in 2015, not TB. Rangers came into Game 7 thinking they had the game in the bag since they never lose in a Game 7 at home, then proceed not to show up. 11 shots on goal through the 1st 2 periods of that game.

;965126]Holding 35 year grudges over a game we have no control over?

I will admit to cheering Potvin Sucks when I hear the whistle, but do I actually care about Denis Potvin and the legal check he threw on our player (who?a name I don?t even fucking remember) three decades ago? No.

I do care that the Rangers don?t show up to play the Islanders and it?s been that way for a few seasons now, but again, we?re bad. Gimme the number 2 pick on June 23rd and until then, I?ma enjoy playoff hockey.

Damn right. History is part of what goes into any loyalty. The history with the Islanders is baked into what it means to be a Ranger fan, then and now.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I can see the islanders thing, but I seriously have no idea how some rangers fans rather want Tampa out because they beat us once in 2015 (get over it) instead of getting a 1st round pick. And yeah, I know a 31st is not a guaranteed NHL player, but its better for the rangers. You are actually chearing for another team instead of wanting ?your? team to get better? Dosent really make sense as a fan.

There's no guarantee that pick 31 makes my team any better than pick 60.

I do agree that if I can say, "get over it" to people who hate the Isles, then I should be able to "get over" the '15 loss.

I'm not yet though. And I fucking hate the Lightning.

TBL/NYR has been a much bigger rivalry than NYR/NYI in recent years. Couple that with the trades we've made with TBL and it's just easier for my head to make that emotional connection. Fuck the Lightning. The Isles - meh.

;965138]There's no guarantee that pick 31 makes my team any better than pick 60.

I do agree that if I can say, "get over it" to people who hate the Isles, then I should be able to "get over" the '15 loss.

I'm not yet though. And I fucking hate the Lightning.

TBL/NYR has been a much bigger rivalry than NYR/NYI in recent years. Couple that with the trades we've made with TBL and it's just easier for my head to make that emotional connection. Fuck the Lightning. The Isles - meh.

Pretty soon you're gonna tell me you kinda like the Flyers.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Rangers ended their run in 2015, not TB. Rangers came into Game 7 thinking they had the game in the bag since they never lose in a Game 7 at home, then proceed not to show up. 11 shots on goal through the 1st 2 periods of that game.

True, not having Zucc was the difference IMO. I?m just glad after that high point for that franchise they?ve had nothing but post season heartbreak. Fuck them.

Not sure I can like an AV team. Hopefully he makes them trade Gudas...to us.

They've reshuffled the conferences a half a dozen times, but in the end my strongest feelings come down to the division rivalries: Islanders, Flyers, Devils, Penguins. Division races down to the wire, playoff series both epic and forgotten, they're the ones who just keep showing up. Boston has a special place in my internal inferno, which began when they were division rivals.

For your edification, April 12, 1975 was the original sin. There had been no Islanders until 1972. (The Devils were still a gleam in John McMullen's eye.) At that point, the Rangers were 32 years into a Cup drought and enduring the frustration of '70-73, including losing in the Finals to the Bruins ("We Did Everything But Win"). Most Ranger fans were ok with having a team somewhere the fuck out on the Island as long they sucked. When J fucking P Parise (father of Zach) scored a goal in overtime after a massive Rangers comeback on;y 3 years into their existence, it was way too early for them to actually compete with us - and a complete shock. We beat them in '79 to get to Montreal in the finals. But then we had to watch them win 4 Cups in a row - then 43 years into a Cup drought - including going through us to get to 3 of them and losing 4 straight playoff series to them. Beyond excruciating and in the Rangers organizational DNA.

• Like 1

Yes, for fans like RodrigueGabriel and I, 4/12/75 was the original sin. The Devils or Flyers could win 20 cups and would never be hated as much as the Islanders. Nothing can make me forget the trauma of listening on the radio (no cable in those days) as the Rangers heroically came back from 3-0 down in the Third Period and then 11 seconds into OT. Game 1 of the '72 finals figures in the interno as well, but nothing was like 4/12/75. There was no "wait til next year." It was over.

The Islanders must be rooted against, always. Their merits cannot be acknowledged. It came back in my DNA report from 23andme. I am hardwired. I stopped rooting for the Mets, Knicks and Jets 30 years ago. But the DNA commands Ranger loyalty and hatred of the Islanders.

• Like 2

The loss in that series not only represented a shift in the balance of power, it ripped the team apart. The following October 29, Vezina winner and fan favorite Ed Giacomin was put on waivers and claimed by Detroit. 10 days later, Emile Francis made the mindless trade of Jean Ratelle, Brad Park, and Joe Zanussi to the Bruins for Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais, which began the Rangers' habit of acquiring over-the-hill stars unable to even approximate their previous career performance that would later include Ken Hodge, Marcel Dionne, Guy LaFleur, Pavel Bure, and many others. Fuck the Islanders. "Potvin sucks" should live forever, or until we win 4 Cups in a row.

I agree. Could it be an age thing? I'm a little older and remember what it was like when the Islander fans abused me on a day to day basis. I mean root how you want. No big deal but I wanted that 1st rounder.

Of course we wanted the 1st rounder, but let's be honest here; that pick was never in play from the beginning of the 2nd period in game 1. Tampa was outworked, outplayed and Torts outcoached Cooper as Tampa was utterly cleaned out.

As for the Isles, it's definitely not an age thing for me, but it's a great story and I've been enjoying it. I really can't help respecting the incredible job Trotz has done with them. I'm not here rooting for a cup run for them, but I enjoyed them sweeping the Pens all the same.

Yes, for fans like RodrigueGabriel and I, 4/12/75 was the original sin. The Devils or Flyers could win 20 cups and would never be hated as much as the Islanders. Nothing can make me forget the trauma of listening on the radio (no cable in those days) as the Rangers heroically came back from 3-0 down in the Third Period and then 11 seconds into OT. Game 1 of the '72 finals figures in the interno as well, but nothing was like 4/12/75. There was no "wait til next year." It was over.

The Islanders must be rooted against, always. Their merits cannot be acknowledged. It came back in my DNA report from 23andme. I am hardwired. I stopped rooting for the Mets, Knicks and Jets 30 years ago. But the DNA commands Ranger loyalty and hatred of the Islanders.

I don't hate the Islanders team nearly as much as I hate the Isles FANS who hate me BECAUSE I'm a Ranger fan. Obnoxious mofo's for sure.

And the "1940" chants at the Coliseum were excruciating.