• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-19 | ECQF | New York Islanders (M2) v. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

Phil

Who wins?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Islanders in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7
    • Penguins in 4
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

I have a lifelong disdain for the Islanders (I was among the in-person casualties on April 12, 1975) and lived through 4 fucking straight Cups, but I like Trotz both for his coaching philosophy and the way he dealt with getting pissed on by Brian McClellan in DC. As soon as we're competitive again, any vestige of that will go away.

Depending on who you talk to the biggest Rangers rivals are Islanders, Devils, and Flyers. I grew up in Jersey during their Cup runs and endured the 1940 chants so hate the Devils and will never root for them in any situation or series. Ranger fans that grew up closer to Philly hate the Flyers most. Sounds like you have had to deal with obnoxious Islanders fans the most. Proximity to rival fans breeds contempt. A lot of folks pick out a rival they hate the most - you could argue that Rangers fans should hate the Islanders, Devils, and Flyers equally - but in practice if you're continually exposed to fans of one of the three, that's who you despise the most.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course we wanted the 1st rounder, but let's be honest here; that pick was never in play from the beginning of the 2nd period in game 1. Tampa was outworked, outplayed and Torts outcoached Cooper as Tampa was utterly cleaned out.

As for the Isles, it's definitely not an age thing for me, but it's a great story and I've been enjoying it. I really can't help respecting the incredible job Trotz has done with them. I'm not here rooting for a cup run for them, but I enjoyed them sweeping the Pens all the same.

I cringed every time I heard "the Rangers could have 4 first rounders." The Dallas thing has always been a huge long shot and, as dominant as Tampa was, there is just too much that can go wrong along the way to count on a condition like that. It was always built on sand.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Depending on who you talk to the biggest Rangers rivals are Islanders, Devils, and Flyers. I grew up in Jersey during their Cup runs and endured the 1940 chants so hate the Devils and will never root for them in any situation or series. Ranger fans that grew up closer to Philly hate the Flyers most. Sounds like you have had to deal with obnoxious Islanders fans the most. Proximity to rival fans breeds contempt. A lot of folks pick out a rival they hate the most - you could argue that Rangers fans should hate the Islanders, Devils, and Flyers equally - but in practice if you're continually exposed to fans of one of the three, that's who you despise the most.

Or when the older half of your own family are Ranger fans and the younger side Isles (who grew up spoiled with 4 Cups in a row dynasty...)

I don't see how you can have family members who are Islanders fans. There is always the option of disowning them. Stay pure, my friend. And don't think the hockey gods weren't at work when they had Parise's son score the OT goal that kept us from the finals in 2012.

I don't see how you can have family members who are Islanders fans. There is always the option of disowning them. Stay pure, my friend. And don't think the hockey gods weren't at work when they had Parise's son score the OT goal that kept us from the finals in 2012.

My dad started me early listening to Ranger games on the radio. I had a few friends in the same position. The others (and my cousins out further on the Island) didn't know hockey until the Isles came to town. Soooo...

I remember that Parise "Jr" goal as well. In fact when the game went to OT I said to myself "Here we go again". I just KNEW it would be him. Fekker

Yes, for fans like RodrigueGabriel and I, 4/12/75 was the original sin. The Devils or Flyers could win 20 cups and would never be hated as much as the Islanders. Nothing can make me forget the trauma of listening on the radio (no cable in those days) as the Rangers heroically came back from 3-0 down in the Third Period and then 11 seconds into OT. Game 1 of the '72 finals figures in the interno as well, but nothing was like 4/12/75. There was no "wait til next year." It was over.

The Islanders must be rooted against, always. Their merits cannot be acknowledged. It came back in my DNA report from 23andme. I am hardwired. I stopped rooting for the Mets, Knicks and Jets 30 years ago. But the DNA commands Ranger loyalty and hatred of the Islanders.

^THIS!