Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 860

Thread: 2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

  1. #801
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,666
    Rep Power
    54
    Iíd watch some really old games. One a week would be fun.

  2. #802
    Senior Member Squirt Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Holbrook, NY
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    7
    What about signing Michael Stone to be the 7th dman?

  3. #803
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,547
    Rep Power
    46
    Rangers have 13 games on NBC Sports' national schedule compared with 2 for Islanders
    Acqua in bocca

  4. #804
    Senior Member Bantam Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    1,501
    Rep Power
    17
    Hurricanes just have one lol.

    Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  5. #805
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,455
    Rep Power
    151
    Thatís because theyíre a bunch of jerks
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  6. #806
    Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,618
    Rep Power
    42
    I wish Hockey Central was longer than an hour. I know its not a summer thing but while we're talking about NHLN that's what I'd like to see.

  7. #807
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    10,472
    Rep Power
    104
    Less than a month till the first pre-season game!!!!
    Training camp opens up in like 3 1/2 weeks.

  8. #808
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,362
    Rep Power
    81
    Not soon enough

  9. #809
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,857
    Rep Power
    135
    Pictures are flooding in. The boys are back in town, baby! Hockey is almost here!

    I plan on acting as if Traverse City is the Stanley Cup Final.
    GORTON 2020

  10. #810
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,402
    Rep Power
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Pictures are flooding in. The boys are back in town, baby! Hockey is almost here!

    I plan on acting as if Traverse City is the Stanley Cup Final.
    my palm is raw
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #811
    Banned Junior Division
    CCCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    5,362
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    my palm is raw
    Is this some kind of a sex joke?

  12. #812
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,455
    Rep Power
    151
    Hot chicks thread
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  13. #813
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,810
    Rep Power
    71
    The Athletic's Rangers season preview: https://theathletic.com/1167323/2019...-york-rangers/

    Projected points: 84.9
    Chance of making the 1st round of the playoffs: 13%

    Tl;dr
    - Quite a bit of uncertainty regarding how the rookies/young players will perform. Could see a significant upswing if a couple (Chytil, Andersson, Kravtsov, Fox etc) hit the ground running.
    - The projected first line (Panarin, Zib, Kakko) is excellent
    - The rest of the forward lines not so much. Bottom 9 is substandard, bottom 6 is dreadful
    - Howden is one of the worst defensive players in the league apparently
    - The Rangers are very weak down the middle. Although this makes the assumption that Chytil, Andersson and Howden are the 2, 3 and 4C's.
    - The Rangers D is the teams biggest weakness, even after adding Trouba
    - Goaltending is a strength, largely because of Georgiev. Make of that what you will
    - Despite the above, this a team with tremendous upside
    Last edited by Gravesy; 09-04-2019 at 04:22 AM.

  14. #814
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,922
    Rep Power
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    The Athletic's Rangers season preview: https://theathletic.com/1167323/2019...-york-rangers/

    Projected points: 84.9
    Chance of making the 1st round of the playoffs: 13%

    Tl;dr
    - Quite a bit of uncertainty regarding how the rookies/young players will perform. Could see a significant upswing if a couple (Chytil, Andersson, Kravtsov, Fox etc) hit the ground running.
    - The projected first line (Panarin, Zib, Kakko) is excellent
    - The rest of the forward lines not so much. Bottom 9 is substandard, bottom 6 is dreadful
    - Howden is one of the worst defensive players in the league apparently
    - The Rangers are very weak down the middle. Although this makes the assumption that Chytil, Andersson and Howden are the 2, 3 and 4C's.
    - The Rangers D is the teams biggest weakness, even after adding Trouba
    - Goaltending is a strength, largely because of Georgiev. Make of that what you will
    - Despite the above, this a team with tremendous upside
    I feel like articles like this assume no progress by any young player from last year to this year.

  15. #815
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,810
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I feel like articles like this assume no progress by any young player from last year to this year.
    What the Rangers have going for them in beating this projection and taking a major leap is the optimism that comes with their youth movement. The team has a number of young players who are either coming in as rookies or struggled in their first taste of NHL action last season, creating more uncertainty than usual. Big steps are not out of the question and could propel this team forward more than expected, but that’s still a very tall task — hence their projected position here.
    The projections are entirely at the player level and are based on an all-in-one stat I created a little over a year ago called Game Score. It combines all the basic box score stats into one number to measure a player’s value. As one season isn’t really enough to get a good read on a player, I use the last three seasons instead. The seasons were weighted by recency using a multi-variate regression and the results of that are regressed to the mean based on the repeatability of each component and the size of each player’s sample. There’s also an age adjustment as we expect players to get better as they move towards their prime and worse as they move away from it.
    I think you're right, for the most part. They almost certainly err massively on the side of caution when projecting improvement in young players.

  16. #816
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,922
    Rep Power
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I think you're right, for the most part. They almost certainly err massively on the side of caution when projecting improvement in young players.
    ... off a self admitted made up stat...

    Where do they get these people?

  17. #817
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,402
    Rep Power
    349
    From the same place we get our politicians - twitter.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  18. #818
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,705
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I feel like articles like this assume no progress by any young player from last year to this year.
    that was my exact thought.. These previews are well researched and the metrics are very well presented.. but they really don't consider improvements (or regression). With a team counting on youth, the expectation is there will be growing pains, but some of these kids are going to continue to grow.

  19. #819
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    17,038
    Rep Power
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ... off a self admitted made up stat...

    Where do they get these people?
    This is Dom Luszczyszyn, who, aside from having a really, really hard name to spell, has a history as a hockey reporter with THN and tends to write from an analytics/data perspective because it's kind of his jam. Using three seasons worth of weighted data in a multivariate regression to project next season is a reasonable model structure - it's a similar projection model as would be used in many businesses to help figure out how many folks you'd need to hire to meet customer demands, for example.

    Obviously, most models place a premium on having a history, so when we're talking about a team where there is little history (we're likely to ice something like 11 players with fewer than 100 games NHL experience), the projection gets murkier. And just to get ahead of the "oh well then its a bad model" crowd, no decent data scientist is going to make shit up and find "expected comparables" or any of that crap just to make their model function "better". They're going to project based off the best data they have - so, for example, based off Liiga data, what values seem to work well for translating Liiga to NHL, and the history of 2nd overall picks, he's got Kakko at 51 points and 1.4 WAR, and calls it murky because he's not got the data to call it concrete.

    He owns a lot of his logic in the article, too:

    Some might question the Rangersí true talent level being lower than the teamís already low 78-point finish, but whatís vital to remember is how barren the team was after last yearís trade deadline. Before shipping off Mats Zuccarello and Kevin Hayes (worth nearly a combined four wins), the Rangers were 27-26-8 on the season, an 83-point pace. After, the team went 5-10-5, a 62-point pace. Small sample size, but itís that latter team the new additions are being added to, an important consideration to make when predicting the teamís immediate future. The terrific offseason looks great in a vacuum, but the value added is more marginal once last seasonís deadline deals are accounted for.

    Itís also tougher to make the playoffs in the East due to the extra team, and itís even harder now with the balance of power shifting in that direction, as we saw last season with the eighth seed finishing with 98 points in the East and 90 points in the West. This season, the top eight teams in the East have an average point projection of 100 points, while in the West itís 97. Thatís a tough hill to climb for New York, as itís hard to make an argument for the Rangers against most of the teams above them.

    What the Rangers have going for them in beating this projection and taking a major leap is the optimism that comes with their youth movement. The team has a number of young players who are either coming in as rookies or struggled in their first taste of NHL action last season, creating more uncertainty than usual. Big steps are not out of the question and could propel this team forward more than expected, but thatís still a very tall task ó hence their projected position here.
    I don't know if any of you actually subscribe to the Athletic (and if you don't....really? It's worth every goddamn penny especially with their crazy 50-60% off promos), but generally speaking, he's not only addressed these criticisms in the article, he's recognized all of it as possible and how it might impact his work.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  20. #820
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,922
    Rep Power
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    This is Dom Luszczyszyn, who, aside from having a really, really hard name to spell, has a history as a hockey reporter with THN and tends to write from an analytics/data perspective because it's kind of his jam. Using three seasons worth of weighted data in a multivariate regression to project next season is a reasonable model structure - it's a similar projection model as would be used in many businesses to help figure out how many folks you'd need to hire to meet customer demands, for example.

    Obviously, most models place a premium on having a history, so when we're talking about a team where there is little history (we're likely to ice something like 11 players with fewer than 100 games NHL experience), the projection gets murkier. And just to get ahead of the "oh well then its a bad model" crowd, no decent data scientist is going to make shit up and find "expected comparables" or any of that crap just to make their model function "better". They're going to project based off the best data they have - so, for example, based off Liiga data, what values seem to work well for translating Liiga to NHL, and the history of 2nd overall picks, he's got Kakko at 51 points and 1.4 WAR, and calls it murky because he's not got the data to call it concrete.

    He owns a lot of his logic in the article, too:



    I don't know if any of you actually subscribe to the Athletic (and if you don't....really? It's worth every goddamn penny especially with their crazy 50-60% off promos), but generally speaking, he's not only addressed these criticisms in the article, he's recognized all of it as possible and how it might impact his work.
    No model is a good model if it doesn't work across the board. Might as well use EA ratings.

    WAR has no place in hockey. It's a fantasy baseball stat, and baseball is way less of a "team" sport than hockey is.

    This is what happens when you try to make a make sports purely formulaic and put math behind things where math isn't the answer and there are all kinds of flaws with the logic.

    I don't subscribe to the athletic because I see shit like this posted and it's pure trash.

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •