• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

Phil

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not judging him. I'm not being critical of him. I'm critical of the pick because there was no need for the Rangers to reach for a goalie at that point.

It was a questionable pick at #39, it's the first time I've heard or read someone disagree with that.

I'm not judging him. I'm not being critical of him. I'm critical of the pick because there was no need for the Rangers to reach for a goalie at that point.

It was a questionable pick at #39, it's the first time I've heard or read someone disagree with that.

I agree with you. I wasn't a fan of that pick when it was made. No need, especially with Shesterkin waiting in the wings, and seemed to be a reach (obviously based on information that I read vs actually seeing him). Hopefully we're wrong and he turns into a stud but even if he does, I'm not sure where he plays if Shesterkin is as good as we believe he will be.

That’s what worries me. What they saw in him

Isn’t there.

I still have hope but at #7 that should have been a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah I get that. But he’s played 49 games on bad teams with not so great line mates and very limited minutes at 20 years old.

But I do agree they should have picked a guy with a higher level of ability at 7.

Yeah I get that. But he’s played 49 games on bad teams with not so great line mates and very limited minutes at 20 years old.

But I do agree they should have picked a guy with a higher level of ability at 7.

Looking at that draft so far, it doesn't look like there is anyone else that looks great after Lias.

Looking at that draft so far, it doesn't look like there is anyone else that looks great after Lias.

With the guys around him, Andersson shouldn’t have the pressure of trying to be a top 6 guy now, or ever. But the team needs more from him, and he needs to show that he should be here. Like the rest of them.

I’m pretty excited about the anticipated competition this season

As for guys drafted behind him, thus far that is true. Though if you look there’s only 4 guys who were drafted behind him that have played more games than he has. 2 seasons out and less than 30 of the players drafted that year have played in the NHL at all.

Still way too early.

There’s no sampling size.

But you can’t really deny that there were guys with more ability than him drafted behind him.

Right.

But two players forcing trades, a draft lottery, and Panarin happening to hit UFA and wanting to come to NY.... all in the same summer...isn't luck that anyone can make.

Who was the second player to force a trade?

Also, landing Panarin for less than he could have made elsewhere is a feather in his cap.

OK, well even if I grant you all of that, he's still the guy at the helm taking Kravtsov (over Wahlstrom), moving up for Miller, trading Spooner for Strome, trading Grabner for Rykov, and was the deciding voice on drafting late steals like Shesterkin, Robertson, Jones, Keane, etc.

It feels like you're going out of your way to essentially give credit to anyone but him?

• Like 1

Trouba and Fox.

I also don't really give Gorton credit for Panarin taking less. It goes way beyond him.

Gorton gets half credit for not raising the offer to guarantee the signing. It takes some restraint to hold steady when you know the offer is under what others are offering, and he didn't waiver unlike other Rangers GMs of summers past.

OK, well even if I grant you all of that, he's still the guy at the helm taking Kravtsov (over Wahlstrom), moving up for Miller, trading Spooner for Strome, trading Grabner for Rykov, and was the deciding voice on drafting late steals like Shesterkin, Robertson, Jones, Keane, etc.

It feels like you're going out of your way to essentially give credit to anyone but him?

I think if you actually go back to the rather long post I wrote earlier in the thread, you'll find everything you need to know about my position on this.

Gordon has been successful thus far and you attributed it to luck. Some luck definitely plays a role, he got 2nd overall pick but even that is only partially lucky. he put the team into position to get that lucky. He could've traded for players and signed UFA's last offseason to try to make the playoffs but he didn't.

Anyone else still riding the high of the off-season? We were definitely spoiled by Fox, John Davidson, Trouba, Kakko, development camp, and Panarin all happening in a few week span. Now its tumbleweeds while they work on cap related things but I am still pumped.

Lundqvist crossed my mind today. I keep wondering what kind of season he will have. He has gone fairly dark this off-season besides a few reaction tweets/Instagram posts here and there. One part of me wonders if he is in a rut because of performance issues, lack of cup, Zucc leaving, etc. The other part of me wonders if he is going full 80's training montage and working his ass off to come back as the Hank from 2-3 years ago and regain his king status. What does he have left in the tank?

• Like 1

Gordon has been successful thus far and you attributed it to luck. Some luck definitely plays a role, he got 2nd overall pick but even that is only partially lucky. he put the team into position to get that lucky. He could've traded for players and signed UFA's last offseason to try to make the playoffs but he didn't.
You and Phil clearly need to read the long post earlier in this thread.

The point that was made is that not only was Gorton helped by favorable circumstances like Trouba and Fox forcing trades and lucking out in the lottery, but more importantly that all these moves came together in a very short span of time.

Not only that but the ESPN article that was referenced saying that this Rangers rebuild and its lasting only 18 months should be the model for other franchises moving forward is in fact ludicrous given the amount of fortunate breaks which aided the process cannot in any way be relied upon.

With that I’ll add that the rebuild has lasted 2 years. It started in June of 17 when they bought out Girardi and then traded Step and Raanta for a pick and a prospect

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2019/07/08/ny-rangers-lineup-artemi-panarin/1670008001/

obviously this post makes a few assumptions, i.e, keeping kreider and names as well as strome and putting kakko on the third line but it is july.

I actually like those lines and I think putting Kakko on the 3rd line is more than reasonable considering he's 18. Kravstov has two years of experience at the pro level in a better league and will likely have a better grasp on the NHL.

I would, however, like to see Lemieux get more time. I think he could play an important role retrieving pucks and turning pucks over in the corner up the lineup. If Kreider goes, I could see him slotting into the 2nd line and playing the role of wrecking ball.

The point that was made is that not only was Gorton helped by favorable circumstances like Trouba and Fox forcing trades and lucking out in the lottery, but more importantly that all these moves came together in a very short span of time.

Not only that but the ESPN article that was referenced saying that this Rangers rebuild and its lasting only 18 months should be the model for other franchises moving forward is in fact ludicrous given the amount of fortunate breaks which aided the process cannot in any way be relied upon.

With that I?ll add that the rebuild has lasted 2 years. It started in June of 17 when they bought out Girardi and then traded Step and Raanta for a pick and a prospect

Thank you. There's an epidemic of willful misrepresentation of other member's points, so the clarification is appreciated.