• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

Phil

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time a player terminated his own contract ,because he was getting overpaid or sucked
Patrick Berglund was the last terminated contract I remember.
Bingo. Berglund wasn't happy in Buffalo so he packed it in.

Think Smith wants to play in the AHL? Doubt he does.

When was the last time a player terminated his own contract ,because he was getting overpaid or sucked

For those reasons? Probably never. But guys have terminated their deals (Berglund was mentioned) in order to go overseas.

There's no way the PA and the League would stand by and watch someone like Brendan Smith say "I'm terminating my deal," only to become a UFA and then sign elsewhere. It violates the spirit of the law set forth in the CBA.

For those reasons? Probably never. But guys have terminated their deals (Berglund was mentioned) in order to go overseas.

There's no way the PA and the League would stand by and watch someone like Brendan Smith say "I'm terminating my deal," only to become a UFA and then sign elsewhere. It violates the spirit of the law set forth in the CBA.

Yes sir ,you described way better than I could ever

Semantics, but it's not the player who terminates the deal, it's the team. CBA states that there has to be "special circumstances" for a team to do that. In Berglund's case, it's the fact that he simply stopped showing up. Berglund said that he was dealing with some kind of off-ice issue.

Smith, I guess, could say "I'm not going to play in the AHL" and stop showing up, allowing the Rangers to terminate the contract, but that's unlikely. There's also very little chance it happens in time that it would give the Rangers any useful cap space anyways, so I'm not sure it matters.

I'm not clear why it's unlikely. he was pretty clear at the beginning of last year that he had no interest in going back to the AHL.

Fact of the matter is that he's an NHL player, his price tag is just too high.

I never think it's likely that a player walks away from 6-8 million dollars to move to Europe when they have a wife and young child.
Don't think he has a kid. Does he?

Think he wants 8 hour bus rides? I don't.

Don't think he has a kid. Does he?

Think he wants 8 hour bus rides? I don't.

Obviously it’s a blow to the ego, and he’d lose money. But I’ve heard multiple times that most of the North Americans who wind up having to play in Europe actually enjoy the experience and they’re still pros so it’s not like they’re working for peanuts. It’s really not the worst outcome and probably more desirable than the AHL

Maybe; is 6M more going to make the difference if you've got 20M in the bank already?

A lifestyle burn-rate of $30,000/month requires at least $500K/year considering taxes to be paid. $6M translates into funding that lifestyle for about 6-7 years after tax...and allows that $20M to grow without touching the principle. Yup. He?ll want that money. Everyone would.

• Like 1

A lifestyle burn-rate of $30,000/month requires at least $500K/year considering taxes to be paid. $6M translates into funding that lifestyle for about 6-7 years after tax...and allows that $20M to grow without touching the principle. Yup. He?ll want that money. Everyone would.
Why would he need to pay taxes, again? It's already taxed when he gets paid.

Really hard to believe nobody wants Shattenkirk, yet it only takes a 4th round pick to get a cap strapped team like Toronto to take on David Clarkson? I am beyond confused by this trade.

Edit: This cleared it up: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/maple-leafs-find-way-to-make-cap-space-trade-garret-sparks-in-exchange-for-david-clarkson-and-fourth-round-pick/1ndgx0em9vunj1uaautsg82dxp

Smart by the Leafs.

Really hard to believe nobody wants Shattenkirk, yet it only takes a 4th round pick to get a cap strapped team like Toronto to take on David Clarkson? I am beyond confused by this trade.

Clarkson will go on LTIR and not have a cap hit.