• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

Phil

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More original programming would work for starters.

There's literally nothing going on after July 1. Everything's been talked about ad nauseam. It's just the way things are. Once september comes they'll have something to offer, but I'm not sure what you want them to show.

There's literally nothing going on after July 1. Everything's been talked about ad nauseam. It's just the way things are. Once september comes they'll have something to offer, but I'm not sure what you want them to show.

That’s why they have a creative team. Or at least they should.

Get creative.

"Be creative," or "get creative," is the pretext people use all the time as a "solution" to a problem that can't be solved by it. The issue with the Network is simply that it's airing during the offseason when nothing of note is happening.

"Be creative," or "get creative," is the pretext people use all the time as a "solution" to a problem that can't be solved by it. The issue with the Network is simply that it's airing during the offseason when nothing of note is happening.

It's like 24 hour news. There's not 24 hours worth of news happening in a day so they fill time with utter garbage.

You don't need to be watching TV in the summer, anyway. Go outside.

Agree on the first point. Utterly disagree on the second. Fuck summer. "Go outside," is like telling me "walk into the sun." Same result. Death.

Gimme my 6 string acoustic, a few beers, and some hot babes by the beach during the summer!!!

After that...it's all HOCKEY from October on!!!

well, mostly hockey...and a few babes, of course! ;)

That?s why they have a creative team. Or at least they should.

Get creative.

Actually, no.

Original content costs money, and to spend money when viewership is down and ad sales are slow (people don't watch, and advertisers don't buy ads on the NHL Network after June) is just not smart.

From a revenue perspective you're filling a hole in you yard with dirt you got by digging another hole in your yard.

Actually, no.

Original content costs money, and to spend money when viewership is down and ad sales are slow (people don't watch, and advertisers don't buy ads on the NHL Network after June) is just not smart.

From a revenue perspective you're filling a hole in you yard with dirt you got by digging another hole in your yard.

I get that. I understand why they wouldn’t and that their revenue stream is the lowest of all the major sports in this country.

Just wish they would or were in a position to do so

But the economics of it are t lost on me.

Again, I get it.

And I understand why they aren?t going to do it.

But it still sucks.

Again, I get it.

And I understand why they aren’t going to do it.

But it still sucks.

Do what? There's nothing to do, is the point. They already do everything creatively as they could — ranking the best and worst offseason efforts, the draft winners, the top-20 to watch under 20, whatever. All those concepts are currently in use, or have been in use. What stone have they left unturned?

Do what? There's nothing to do, is the point. They already do everything creatively as they could — ranking the best and worst offseason efforts, the draft winners, the top-20 to watch under 20, whatever. All those concepts are currently in use, or have been in use. What stone have they left unturned?

Spittin Chiclets live

David Quinn has to be amped about this offseason between the draft, Trouba trade, Panarin signing, and good prospects on the way and ready to contribute. There may not be forced playoff expectations, but improvement is expected from many of the young guys. That adds pressure. It will be interesting to see how he handles the team when there will be a hype about them that was not there last season.

Assuming the roster stays as is, I'd be comfortable saying this is currently somewhere around an 84-88 point team but with a rather large margin of error. If certain things go wrong, they could end up like last year or worse. On the flip side, there are many things that could go very well and a playoff spot is a possibility.

David Quinn has to be amped about this offseason between the draft, Trouba trade, Panarin signing, and good prospects on the way and ready to contribute. There may not be forced playoff expectations, but improvement is expected from many of the young guys. That adds pressure. It will be interesting to see how he handles the team when there will be a hype about them that was not there last season.

Assuming the roster stays as is, I'd be comfortable saying this is currently somewhere around an 84-88 point team but with a rather large margin of error. If certain things go wrong, they could end up like last year or worse. On the flip side, there are many things that could go very well and a playoff spot is a possibility.

I've been thinking about that, and maybe it deserves it's own thread (Phil, you decide). But, on paper, the playoff race in the East is pretty interesting this year. Imo there's a couple of tiers this year:

The locks: Tampa, Toronto, Boston. It would be a huge shock if either of these miss the playoffs.

The "should make it" teams:

Washington; their window might be closing, but they're still a really strong team and probably very motivated to bounce back after last season.

Carolina; very good young team, great defensive depth, their young guys have one more year and a deep playoff run on their backs. I expect Svechnikov to contribute a lot more this season.

Florida; More because of the investment they've made this summer. Quenneville behind the bench, Bob in net and some decent depth signings. Would be a pretty big fail for them to miss out.

In the hunt: A whole bunch of teams that'll be there or thereabouts if things go right. Montreal, Rangers, Pittsburgh, Isles, Buffalo, Philly, Devils

The lottery teams: Ottawa, Detroit, Columbus. I really can't see these bothering the playoff race at all.

I'd say Washington is probably somewhere between the locks and the should make it. Carolina and Florida, based on experience, are probably between the next two tiers. Columbus maybe in between the bottom 2. They've got some good pieces even though they lost key players.

Should make for an interesting season!

Cover the charity efforts these players do over the summer. Cover the Hank/Zucc league, Da Beauty League, etc. You've got these phenomenal talents, these strong personalities all doing amazing things in the offseason.

Heck, cover BioSteel's camp and Gary Roberts' shit too. NHL fans and fitness junkies have some overlap.

Show us some cool stuff behind the scenes in FA, or other business of hockey items. How do trades really work? What about scouting and talent development?

Also, +1 to more Chiclets-like content. Recognize that's Barstool, but it's proven the market for "player-focal" content.

Cover the charity efforts these players do over the summer. Cover the Hank/Zucc league, Da Beauty League, etc. You've got these phenomenal talents, these strong personalities all doing amazing things in the offseason.

Heck, cover BioSteel's camp and Gary Roberts' shit too. NHL fans and fitness junkies have some overlap.

Show us some cool stuff behind the scenes in FA, or other business of hockey items. How do trades really work? What about scouting and talent development?

Also, +1 to more Chiclets-like content. Recognize that's Barstool, but it's proven the market for "player-focal" content.

Again ... Costs money... Probably not worth the investment vs lack of viewership.

Again ... Costs money... Probably not worth the investment vs lack of viewership.

They aren’t going to do more. We all know it and we all know why. Still it’s nice to imagine and despite what some may think there is absolutely stuff they could do that they don’t cause they can’t justify the expense when viewership is down in the summer.

It would just be nice to see them do more and different stuff. But I don’t have that expectation realistically.

I'm a hockey lifer, and I'm pretty much guaranteed not to watch 98% of any of that. Behind the scenes at the draft, maybe, but that's a 30-minute show. You've still got an entire summer ahead to fill. None of which will draw ratings. All of which will lose money.