• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

Phil

This really isn’t that complicated.

Yes, Gorton and the Rangers got lucky with how the chips fell this summer.

Yes, Gorton has done an excellent job and has barely put a foot wrong since announcing the rebuild, and the way he’s secured assets along the way put the Rangers in a position to capitalize once the chips fell as they did.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Agreed. Gorton has put us in a position where if things don’t work out it will be extremely unlucky.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clarified it to the point where enough people get it. You're trolling and arguing to argue. Just move on already. We're going in circles.

Yea, after taking pot shots at people.

It's only trolling b/c you are willfully misunderstanding why I responded to begin with lol

All great points on both sides but the real test for JG starts now on how he handles their cap crunch. Ideally he moves some middle 6ers for a bag of pucks and a buy out of Smith. Keeping Kreider and keeping Trouba in a reasonable contract. Getting the players on board to playing here is one thing but getting them signed within the cap seems much harder. I think that teams are keenly aware of the leverage they hold on the Rangers and will take some of our young prospects that nobody wanted to see go. The fuckin cap. Uhhh.

All great points on both sides but the real test for JG starts now on how he handles their cap crunch. Ideally he moves some middle 6ers for a bag of pucks and a buy out of Smith. Keeping Kreider and keeping Trouba in a reasonable contract. Getting the players on board to playing here is one thing but getting them signed within the cap seems much harder. I think that teams are keenly aware of the leverage they hold on the Rangers and will take some of our young prospects that nobody wanted to see go. The fuckin cap. Uhhh.

More like fuckin' Sather for hamstringing this team with a bunch of bad contracts before he stepped down as GM. lol

Surely the first step towards avoiding that is to steer well clear of a new deal with Kreider, unless he’s willing to give a significant discount. Signing him to 7m will lead the Rangers to cap hell as sure as night follows day.

Any chance a guy like georgiev could get packaged with a smith to a team like say, columbus, that might need a goalie and someone that fits a torts style. I assume a bit of saalry retention even though they have the space. Still though.

Also.....whats bri boyle doing for a 4th line center role, slide up if necessary, leadership, trade value if the time cmes and we arent in a playoff position, say 2x2 or so?

If Smith ends up getting buried in Hartford, and decides he doesn't want to play in the AHL for the rest of his contract, what are the odds that he accepts to go go unconditional waivers for the purposes of terminating his contract so he can maybe sign in Europe somewhere? I mean that is almost $9mil he'd be walking away from so I doubt it, but maybe we can get some serious cap relief that way

Any chance a guy like georgiev could get packaged with a smith to a team like say, columbus, that might need a goalie and someone that fits a torts style. I assume a bit of saalry retention even though they have the space. Still though.

Also.....whats bri boyle doing for a 4th line center role, slide up if necessary, leadership, trade value if the time cmes and we arent in a playoff position, say 2x2 or so?

I don't think you can move Georgiev until you know what you have in Shestyorkin, especially since any veteran backup goalie would cost more. I think trading a goalie is probably something they do next year, though I agree with packaging one of them as a sweetener.

2 x 2 per for boyle would be nice. He also makes a great deadline trade piece if it looks like he's not needed here (if not in playoff contention) and offers great leadership/playoff performance if we do get to the postseason

No Boyle. No point.

Shouldn’t be trying to compete. Don’t need old farts taking spots from kids... (unless Kreider is traded, then they need a big bodied enforcer. Boyle ain’t that.)

Rather target a change of scenery guy with upside.

If Smith ends up getting buried in Hartford, and decides he doesn't want to play in the AHL for the rest of his contract, what are the odds that he accepts to go go unconditional waivers for the purposes of terminating his contract so he can maybe sign in Europe somewhere? I mean that is almost $9mil he'd be walking away from so I doubt it, but maybe we can get some serious cap relief that way
union won't let that happen