• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

Phil

Anything under $12m a year is house money? Any contract that size better be a slam dunk if it isn’t it has potential to be a team killer. Gorton is doing a great job setting this team up for years. With all these moves it does the exact opposite for me. Panarin is not the only option to get where the rangers want to go. Panarin is not a franchise player in my opinion. He’s not Ovechkin, Kane, or jagr. Even those guys were unable to win anything without having a big time center who was close in status. The rangers will still be looking for that guy with little cap space to get him if they sign panarin. Kakko could be, probably wil be a top wing. The rangers should spend that money on a center or another top defenseman. If not now then wait.

What I meant by house money is that a contract less than 12m won't get you a player of Panarin's caliber within a few short years, unless there are significant changes to the cap. The concern on paying Panarin isn't really the first few years, but more about the backend of the contract. At that point, the dollar amount won't be high relative to what others in his tier or even below his tier are getting.

I'll take Panarin at 12 million over Kreider at 7.5 and Duchene at 10.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's right. In order to get Panarin, it's becoming abundantly clear that he will get overpaid for what he's worth right now.

In 2 years however, when our dead weight begins falling off the books and 24 million in space opens up (assuming we don't buy anyone out) - his contract will be about right.

Pavelski seems like the perfect guy to bring in right now. Three year contract won’t hurt you and he’s be s great guy to mentor and produce at a second line center role.

That's along the lines I'm thinking...but maybe 2 years...if not, I think 3 years wouldn't kill us.

Pavelski seems like the perfect guy to bring in right now. Three year contract won’t hurt you and he’s be s great guy to mentor and produce at a second line center role.

If no Panarin, I'm good with Pavelski on a short contract like that. Though, Panarin at the end of a 7 year contract will be Pavelski's current age. Seems a little alarmist to worry about Panarin from age 27-35 and not Pavelski from age 35-38?

I'm thinking that a player like Pavelski would give these kids some veteran leadership whilst being able to contribute on a nightly basis. Pavelski plays about 20 min a night, wins about 55% of his faceoffs and plays on the PK. Not only that, but last year was the only year in his entire career that he was a minus player.

That type of experience and leadership may be just what the doctor ordered here for the next 2 seasons, while these kids grow up.

Doesn't have to necessarily be Pavelski, but that's the blueprint of what I think these kids could use.

Oh yeah, and the 30+ goals could also help ;)

He just came out of a 6 million dollar deal and he is 35 yrs old like rmc said above

If no Panarin, I'm good with Pavelski on a short contract like that. Though, Panarin at the end of a 7 year contract will be Pavelski's current age. Seems a little alarmist to worry about Panarin from age 27-35 and not Pavelski from age 35-38?

I'm not. I love Pavelski but signing him for 3 yrs seems like 2 yrs more than they should ever contemplate. 2 yrs, $12 mil? I'd do that.

Pavelski seems like the perfect guy to bring in right now. Three year contract won?t hurt you and he?s be s great guy to mentor and produce at a second line center role.

Franny,

The issue with signing a player between 4 million and 8 million, I think you have to have a 2nd round pick as part of the compensation, and I think we dealt ours away for Adam Fox, so we're fucked as far as RFA's go. Am I right?

Aren't UFA's are a different story though? and players like the Pavelski type fit the bill?

The following roster fits under $83M cap with $500k to spare:

Panarin (11.5) - Zib (5.35) - Buch (2.1)

Chytil (894k) - Pavelski (8) - Kako (925k)

Lemieux (1.25) - Andersson (894k) - Kravtsov (925k)

Nieves (700K) - Howden (863k) - Fast (1.85)

Skjei (5.25) - Trouba (8)

Hajek (833k) - DeAngelo (1.5)

Staal (5.7) - Fox (925k)

Shattenkirk (6.65)

Hank (8.5)

Georgiev (792k)

Buried/Bought-Out

Smith (3.275)

Beleskey (825k)

Girardi (3.6)

Strome (433k)

The following roster fits under $83M cap with $500k to spare:

Panarin (11.5) - Zib (5.35) - Buch (2.1)

Chytil (894k) - Pavelski (8) - Kako (925k)

Lemieux (1.25) - Andersson (894k) - Kravtsov (925k)

Nieves (700K) - Howden (863k) - Fast (1.85)

Skjei (5.25) - Trouba (8)

Hajek (833k) - DeAngelo (1.5)

Staal (5.7) - Fox (925k)

Shattenkirk (6.65)

Hank (8.5)

Georgiev (792k)

Buried/Bought-Out

Smith (3.275)

Beleskey (825k)

Girardi (3.6)

Strome (433k)

Somehow they are trading Kreider, Vesey and Names without taking any salary back?

2019 1st round pick (OTT)

COL

Kreider, Chris

NYR

2019 4th round pick (SJS)

BUF

Vesey, Jimmy

NYR

2019 6th round pick (COL)

COL

Namestnikov, Vladislav

Just to clarify,

Colorado gets Kreider and Namestnikov

Buffalo gets Vesey

Rangers gets 3 picks, including 4th overall

Is that what you’re saying?

Just to clarify,

Colorado gets Kreider and Namestnikov

Buffalo gets Vesey

Rangers gets 3 picks, including 4th overall

Is that what you’re saying?

no, thats not what i'm saying. on cap friendly you have to make the trade to get rid of the cap hit. I don't care where they get traded to, or if its for picks or prospects. They just need to be moved.

2019 1st round pick (OTT)

COL

Kreider, Chris

NYR

2019 4th round pick (SJS)

BUF

Vesey, Jimmy

NYR

2019 6th round pick (COL)

COL

Namestnikov, Vladislav

Kreider won't get #4 by himself. I thought perhaps Kreider + #20 might get the ball rolling, but obviously that is kaput.

Kreider/Lundkvist/pick might get the Avs listening.

In two years the rangers will start to have cap problems with that roster. It will be almost impossible to keep all the young talent they are assembling

If Pavaleski is on a 2 year deal, then in 2 years they'd have $22 million dollars from Staal, Hank, and Pavelski to distribute to kids. Not to mention $2.5m comes off Girardi's buyout next year, and Shattenkirk and Smith's contracts end as well.

The future cap is wide open. The only players signed past the 2021/2022 season will be Skjei, Trouba, and, in this scenario, Panarin.

That's not the point. The point is to get rid of Kreider's salary. Trade him to anyone for any pick. It doesn't matter.

It does matter though because you don't just give valuable commodities away. Just because his future cap hit might not align with what the Rangers want to do, it doesn't mean there aren't a dozen teams who feel differently and will pay a good price for him.

By the way, if I'm choosing between some crap like a 2nd round pick versus holding onto him until at least the deadline, then I'm holding onto him.

no, thats not what i'm saying. on cap friendly you have to make the trade to get rid of the cap hit. I don't care where they get traded to, or if its for picks or prospects. They just need to be moved.

Ok

Just was asking

Wasn’t sure what you were saying

It does matter though because you don't just give valuable commodities away. Just because his future cap hit might not align with what the Rangers want to do, it doesn't mean there aren't a dozen teams who feel differently and will pay a good price for him.

By the way, if I'm choosing between some crap like a 2nd round pick versus holding onto him until at least the deadline, then I'm holding onto him.

Who said give him away? You put Krieder on the market teams are gonna be interested.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk