• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

Phil

Conner, Myers, trouba, Tanev, chariot, and laine among others need new contracts.

Conner $6-7m a season

Trouba. $7-8m

Myers $6-7m

Laine $9-10m

Taney, chariot and Hayes walk. Even then laine, Conner, and Myers make up more than that. So yes they have cap problems

Maybe. We are assuming they are trading Trouba here though, and I think that Laine estimate is pretty high. They'd be pretty dumb to give him elite money after the extremely mediocre season he just had. Not to mention he is also an RFA. I wouldn't give him more than 7-7.5 right now.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. We are assuming they are trading Trouba here though, and I think that Laine estimate is pretty high. They'd be pretty dumb to give him elite money after the extremely mediocre season he just had. Not to mention he is also an RFA. I wouldn't give him more than 7-7.5 right now.

Wheeler’s extension kicks in next season too. His cap hit goes up to 8.25

To shift gears a little, anyone have an opinion on the possibility of getting Sam Bennett out of Calgary. He’s struggled a lot there and is playing 3rd line minutes on the wing as a natural center. He’s definitely underperforming up there and it seems like they’ve lost faith in him, but his possession numbers have improved significantly over the last 2 seasons and he did just lead them in scoring in their loss to Colorado. I just have a feeling that he is poised for a breakout season and a change of scenery might help bring that out. I’d love for them to take a serious run at him. Turns 23 in June.

To shift gears a little, anyone have an opinion on the possibility of getting Sam Bennett out of Calgary. He’s struggled a lot there and is playing 3rd line minutes on the wing as a natural center. He’s definitely underperforming up there and it seems like they’ve lost faith in him, but his possession numbers have improved significantly over the last 2 seasons and he did just lead them in scoring in their loss to Colorado. I just have a feeling that he is poised for a breakout season and a change of scenery might help bring that out. I’d love for them to take a serious run at him. Turns 23 in June.

Eh. I think at this point - barring some sort of drastic change in either his usage or his coaching - he is what he is. He might be a late bloomer, he might "thrive" outside of Calgary, but more likely than not, he's kind of spoken for at this point. He's not a bad player - every team needs its mid-six flex guys, but he doesn't strike me as an "about to blow through the ceiling" guy.

Rough pick for the Flames at #4.

Eh. I think at this point - barring some sort of drastic change in either his usage or his coaching - he is what he is. He might be a late bloomer, he might "thrive" outside of Calgary, but more likely than not, he's kind of spoken for at this point. He's not a bad player - every team needs its mid-six flex guys, but he doesn't strike me as an "about to blow through the ceiling" guy.

Rough pick for the Flames at #4.

That could be the case, though it seems like more of these guys drafted 4-10 are getting into their 5th and 6th seasons and finding that other gear to their game.

That team is stacked and he's not only failed to live up to his hype but has been dropped to 3rd or even 4th line. Rangers don't need more of these kinds of players. They need sure-things. They need talent.

That team is stacked and he's not only failed to live up to his hype but has been dropped to 3rd or even 4th line. Rangers don't need more of these kinds of players. They need sure-things. They need talent.

Well the other reason I mentioned him was his contract status

He’s RFA, so no long term or big dollar commitment would be needed with him.

I don’t think they’ve soured on him at all. He won’t live up to the hype of where he was picked but he’s become an important player for that team. Obviously they would move him but it would cost.

I really don’t think the book is closed on him developing into a very high level player. The skill level is there, he’s grown into his body, increased his strength, no one has ever questioned his skating ability and I’ll again cite improved possession numbers in reduced minutes while playing with bottom 6 talent as an encouraging sign.

We’ve seen plenty of guys over the years take into their 5th plus season to really find their ceiling

I’ll totally acknowledge that I could be wrong and that he may well be what is today long term. But I think there’s reasons to believe there is more there coming

I really don’t think the book is closed on him developing into a very high level player. The skill level is there, he’s grown into his body, increased his strength, no one has ever questioned his skating ability and I’ll again cite improved possession numbers in reduced minutes while playing with bottom 6 talent as an encouraging sign.

We’ve seen plenty of guys over the years take into their 5th plus season to really find their ceiling

I’ll totally acknowledge that I could be wrong and that he may well be what is today long term. But I think there’s reasons to believe there is more there coming

Ok. I’m agreeing with you. What I’m not seeing is the reason why Calgary would want to deal him unless you are giving up assets I’m pretty sure no one wants to part with. He’s a very valuable player right now. He has all the upside you talk about and he’s relatively cheap and young. I’m totally on board to trying to get him. If I’m Calgary why am I trading him? What are you offering?

Ok. I’m agreeing with you. What I’m not seeing is the reason why Calgary would want to deal him unless you are giving up assets I’m pretty sure no one wants to part with. He’s a very valuable player right now. He has all the upside you talk about and he’s relatively cheap and young. I’m totally on board to trying to get him. If I’m Calgary why am I trading him? What are you offering?

Fair series of questions

I’ll start off by saying that I’m not assuming this guy is available or being shopped. While I did put it out there that maybe they’re down on him, I don’t know that to be the case and for all I know, they want to keep him.

As for why Calgary might trade him, well they do have needs. No long term answer in goal. Bottom 6 lacks real bottom 6 guys. PK and PP could both use help as they were middle of league in both categories. They are LH heavy up front. And there’s no real veteran on that roster that’s really been deep or won anything.

Now none of those necessitate a deal with the Rangers per se. Nor do I know off hand if they’d even have the assets for him, what the price would be, or what Calgary might ask for if the Rangers inquired about him.

They might have some interest, in a package, for guys like Georgiev, Krieder, Fast, Strome, possibly Namestnikov, Vesey, to name a few.

Again, Calgary might not want to move him at all. And while I did say that I’d like to see them take a run at him, if the price is too high, forget it. Maybe a contentious arbitration brings the price down.

And I’m not advocating swapping Krieder outright for him, as that would be an overpayment based on their respective production, I’m just putting it out there.

There was speculation last season that Bennett was available or could be had. Now he doesn’t have a contract, so maybe that’s still the case.

If you’re Calgary, what are you looking for in a deal for him?

Fair series of questions

I’ll start off by saying that I’m not assuming this guy is available or being shopped. While I did put it out there that maybe they’re down on him, I don’t know that to be the case and for all I know, they want to keep him.

As for why Calgary might trade him, well they do have needs. No long term answer in goal. Bottom 6 lacks real bottom 6 guys. PK and PP could both use help as they were middle of league in both categories. They are LH heavy up front. And there’s no real veteran on that roster that’s really been deep or won anything.

Now none of those necessitate a deal with the Rangers per se. Nor do I know off hand if they’d even have the assets for him, what the price would be, or what Calgary might ask for if the Rangers inquired about him.

They might have some interest, in a package, for guys like Georgiev, Krieder, Fast, Strome, possibly Namestnikov, Vesey, to name a few.

Again, Calgary might not want to move him at all. And while I did say that I’d like to see them take a run at him, if the price is too high, forget it. Maybe a contentious arbitration brings the price down.

And I’m not advocating swapping Krieder outright for him, as that would be an overpayment based on their respective production, I’m just putting it out there.

There was speculation last season that Bennett was available or could be had. Now he doesn’t have a contract, so maybe that’s still the case.

If you’re Calgary, what are you looking for in a deal for him?

I’m not sure and I also don’t know their cap situation. I do know that the fan base and the team while being initially disappointed with him have now grown to like the player for what he is. He actually is a good third line center. He plays in the high traffic areas, is an impactful forechecker and all around intangible player capable of chipping in on the offense.

There were multiple times when zucc was rumored straight up for him the past two years and the indications were that Calgary seemed that was insufficient. So if that is true what would they ask for? I’m not sure kreider works because that would be more than likely a 1 year rental. They have a solid defense and good prospect depth at that position. So I think your looking at a forward, prospects or picks. Buchnevich straight up maybe? Andersson? No thanks if I’m the rangers but I think that’s where they start. Of course if the rangers would take Neal back the price would drop significantly.

I don’t see a fit but if Gorton could find a palatable deal I’m sll for it.

I’m not sure and I also don’t know their cap situation. I do know that the fan base and the team while being initially disappointed with him have now grown to like the player for what he is. He actually is a good third line center. He plays in the high traffic areas, is an impactful forechecker and all around intangible player capable of chipping in on the offense.

There were multiple times when zucc was rumored straight up for him the past two years and the indications were that Calgary seemed that was insufficient. So if that is true what would they ask for? I’m not sure kreider works because that would be more than likely a 1 year rental. They have a solid defense and good prospect depth at that position.

He’s actually not playing center really at all anymore. If it’s any indication he took only 90 total face offs this year.

Ok I thought he was lining up there all series.

Took only 10 face offs in the series

His percentage his really improved though, despite taking so few.

I really like the kid. I think in next 2 seasons he blossoms.

If they agreed to a deal for Georgiev and Fast, I’d seriously look at that, and I’m not in love with idea of trading Georgiev before we know what Shestyorkin is.

Few hockey podcasts have been talking about Bennet finally finding a role and understanding he needs to keep his feet moving to be involved and effective.

I think Calgary bets on him.

You are probably right. And I think that bet pays off and they’re rewarded for their patience and faith in him.

But if he can be pried away at a reasonable price, go get him.

He doesn?t strike me as a kid who lacks confidence.

Maybe not, but he looked a bit off at the end of the season. Not really the breakout season he was hoping for I guess.

A good tournament now and a good pre-season and Im expecting a good year out of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Maybe not, but he looked a bit off at the end of the season. Not really the breakout season he was hoping for I guess.

A good tournament now and a good pre-season and Im expecting a good year out of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don't know why anyone hopes for a "break out season" from a 19 year old. He's not Connor McDavid. Look at Zibanejad. It took him 8 years to become a (almost) PPG player. That's the kind of progress you can hope to see from our young players.