• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Off-Season Thread: We Got This Bread, Man

Phil

Panarin - Zibanejad - Kakko

Buchnevich/Kreider - Chytil - Kravtsov

Lemieux - Andersson - ______

_____ - Howden - ________

Miller - Fox

H?jek - DeAngelo

Rykov - Lundkvist

Reunanen - Lindgren

Skjei

1.) not worried about the bottom 6. If any player projection doesn’t pan out, they can play a bottom 6 role.

2.) barring two drastic improvements, Buchnevich and Kreider can not Ben expected to Ben top line wingers on a competitive team moving forward. A 1-time 70-point center flanked by a 50- and 40-point winger doesn’t scream success.

3.) you have to pencil in Kakko or Kravtsov as a top line player. Andersson isn’t projecting to be one, and the Rangers can’t afford another top 10 (or the #2) to not meet expectations. And one should be a top 6 winger.

4.) The Hole. 2nd line ... wing? Time to see if Chytil can eventually be that #2 C. Try now, to determine the need to find a capable 2C for the foreseeable future. Chytil can shift to 2nd line wing.

5.) Panarin rounds out the top 6. He allows Kreider or Buchnevich a better spot on the second line. You can anticipate a line of Panarin - Zibanejad- Kakko to push PPG, reasonably. 2nd line being mid 50s - 70point guys . 3rd liners getting near 50.

6.) defense looks good. Still might be missing that true #1, but a great mix of skill, athleticism, scoring and physical

Play.

7.) with the #20 pick, I’d still target a highly skilled forward. A replacement for kreider/Buchnevich can aid the offense, push Kreider/Buchnevich to third or move them for a defender

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller - Fox

H?jek - DeAngelo

Rykov - Lundkvist

Reunanen - Lindgren

Skjei

1.) not worried about the bottom 6. If any player projection doesn’t pan out, they can play a bottom 6 role.

2.) barring two drastic improvements, Buchnevich and Kreider can not Ben expected to Ben top line wingers on a competitive team moving forward. A 1-time 70-point center flanked by a 50- and 40-point winger doesn’t scream success.

3.) you have to pencil in Kakko or Kravtsov as a top line player. Andersson isn’t projecting to be one, and the Rangers can’t afford another top 10 (or the #2) to not meet expectations. And one should be a top 6 winger.

4.) The Hole. 2nd line ... wing? Time to see if Chytil can eventually be that #2 C. Try now, to determine the need to find a capable 2C for the foreseeable future. Chytil can shift to 2nd line wing.

5.) Panarin rounds out the top 6. He allows Kreider or Buchnevich a better spot on the second line. You can anticipate a line of Panarin - Zibanejad- Kakko to push PPG, reasonably. 2nd line being mid 50s - 70point guys . 3rd liners getting near 50.

6.) defense looks good. Still might be missing that true #1, but a great mix of skill, athleticism, scoring and physical

Play.

7.) with the #20 pick, I’d still target a highly skilled forward. A replacement for kreider/Buchnevich can aid the offense, push Kreider/Buchnevich to third or move them for a defender

Miller is going back to school. Already been said. Skjei isn't a #7 D man. I know you hate him, but he's better than everyone you have in the top 6.

Miller - Fox

H?jek - DeAngelo

Rykov - Lundkvist

Reunanen - Lindgren

Skjei

Play.

I presume this is the vision 2-3 years from now and what the lineup may look like. A lot rides on those defensive prospects panning out.

One thing I'll point out with regards to Buchnevich is that even though I was disappointed with his season as a whole last year given that I thought he was ready to explode into a top 6 forward, he did finish strong. I still think he has a lot more potential than the production we've seen from him thus far. I hope Quinn began to unlock that potential towards the end of last year. 22 points in his last 31 games. I think it's still a reasonable possibility we haven't seen Buch anywhere near his peak.

I presume this is the vision 2-3 years from now and what the lineup may look like. A lot rides on those defensive prospects panning out.

One thing I'll point out with regards to Buchnevich is that even though I was disappointed with his season as a whole last year given that I thought he was ready to explode into a top 6 forward, he did finish strong. I still think he has a lot more potential than the production we've seen from him thus far. I hope Quinn began to unlock that potential towards the end of last year. 22 points in his last 31 games. I think it's still a reasonable possibility we haven't seen Buch anywhere near his peak.

I’ve been pushing for a 1 year contract for Buchnevich so he can prove just that. I’d rather him put up 50 points and pay him 5x5 next offseason than pay 4.5 now and he goes back to being a regular scratch/4th liner for 5 seasons. I’d love to see him be that guy, but my mind is wandering

I’ve been pushing for a 1 year contract for Buchnevich so he can prove just that. I’d rather him put up 50 points and pay him 5x5 next offseason than pay 4.5 now and he goes back to being a regular scratch/4th liner for 5 seasons. I’d love to see him be that guy, but my mind is wandering

Absolutely. I don't want another Skjei contract where we hold our breath and hope he earns the money.

The angst about Skjei's contract is quite overblown. He's got plenty of time to turn his game around, especially with Ruff gone.

It's not about that. He didn't earn the contract to begin with and he certainly hasn't shown to be worth it one year in. All of this points to the fact he could have been on a much cheaper bridge deal or you should have been able to lock him down for cheaper if he didn't want a bridge. They overpaid on that one in the moment.

It's not about that. He didn't earn the contract to begin with and he certainly hasn't shown to be worth it one year in. All of this points to the fact he could have been on a much cheaper bridge deal or you should have been able to lock him down for cheaper if he didn't want a bridge. They overpaid on that one in the moment.

OK, and it's one year in.

You will not win every risk you take, it doesn't mean you stop gambling.

It was a bad bet. That was obvious from the start. “1 season”. No, I’m 3 seasons, he’s had maybe a half of a good season... and like I said last summer, that was playing extremely sheltered 3rd pair minutes and matchups. And that’s fine, just not on that contract.

I’m sure he’ll eventually play up to the contract... probably in its last season, and they’ll overpay again. Fucking deja vu Rangers.

It was a bad bet. That was obvious from the start. “1 season”. No, I’m 3 seasons, he’s had maybe a half of a good season... and like I said last summer, that was playing extremely sheltered 3rd pair minutes and matchups. And that’s fine, just not on that contract.

Bingo.

It was a bad bet. That was obvious from the start. ?1 season?. No, I?m 3 seasons, he?s had maybe a half of a good season... and like I said last summer, that was playing extremely sheltered 3rd pair minutes and matchups. And that?s fine, just not on that contract.

I?m sure he?ll eventually play up to the contract... probably in its last season, and they?ll overpay again. Fucking deja vu Rangers.

Nah. Can't judge anyone on a team where Staal is the best defender.

With Ruff gone it should be better. There are 9 guys playing defense on the team, and one looks competent. That's not a coincidence.

Nah. Can't judge anyone on a team where Staal is the best defender.

With Ruff gone it should be better. There are 9 guys playing defense on the team, and one looks competent. That's not a coincidence.

What happened with Ruff. I didn't know he was gone.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I always questioned Ruff as a defensive coach...I mean, he wasn't really even a defenseman...he played it part time. He was certainly no Chris Chelios back there!! I wonder if the Rangers could get a guy like that who would coach back there. Sure as hell couldn't hurt having a dude like Chelios, Bourque or even a Kevin Lowe to teach these kids.

I always questioned Ruff as a defensive coach...I mean, he wasn't really even a defenseman...he played it part time. He was certainly no Chris Chelios back there!! I wonder if the Rangers could get a guy like that who would coach back there. Sure as hell couldn't hurt having a dude like Chelios, Bourque or even a Kevin Lowe to teach these kids.

Oilers booted Paul Coffey yesterday.

There are droves of quality young assistants out there they could bring in to coach the D. They went somewhat outside of the box when they hired Quinn, no reason they shouldn’t do the same with any assistant they might hire, instead of sticking to the NHL boys club of traditional old school guys and retreading some dinosaur.

Hire a young up and comer that’s outside the established NHL circle of the same 100 or so “hockey guys.”