• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lightning Architect Steve Yzerman Interested in Rangers? Top Job

Phil

Steve Yzerman, likely the hottest pending free agent in hockey, is amenable to being wooed by the Rangers to succeed Glen Sather as team president, multiple sources with knowledge of his thinking have told The Post.

Now hold on, this does not mean that a deal is done. It is unknown whether the Blueshirts have yet asked for and received permission from Tampa Bay to speak to Yzerman, who is serving the final year of his contract as an adviser to the owner after having stepped down last September as general manager. Such a request, if not yet made, will be forthcoming.

It does not imply that the job would automatically be offered following an interview with Jim Dolan, the Garden CEO who is running the search in coordination with Sather, who on Thursday announced his retirement from day-to-day life in the hockey department.

It also does not mean that Yzerman, who will be sought by a number of teams looking for either a GM or a president of hockey operations, would necessarily accept an offer if one were to be presented. He will have choices.

But it does mean that Yzerman, who for months has been believed headed back to the Red Wings organization with which he won three Stanley Cups as captain during his 22-year career wearing the winged wheel, has not ruled out coming to New York and so consider the first hurdle jumped.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/05/lightning-architect-steve-yzerman-interested-in-rangers-top-job/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

missed the playoffs 3 times in 8 seasons

Team had already drafted Stamkos and Hedman

His first round draft picks include Brett Connolly, Vlad Namestnikov, Slater Koekkoek, Drouin, Tony DeAngelo, Howden, Cal Foote

TB is in the worst cap situation moving forward

I like him, think he's done a good job.

But the noise around him is way too generous. When you start with Stamkos and Hedman, everything is way, way easier. His best move has been Drouin for Sergachev.

But he drafted Drouin at 3.

He had Stamkos, Hedman and the #3 overall pick. With that, he did as well as the Rangers without any first round picks.

But he drafted Drouin at 3.

He had Stamkos, Hedman and the #3 overall pick. With that, he did as well as the Rangers without any first round picks.

I mean, the Drouin pick wasn't bad considering who was around him. It's not like they badly reached for him or anything.

The sky is blue. Go ahead and argue.

Kucherov, vaseliski and point should be enough but Of course not. Johnson, palat, cirelli, and gourde could be mentioned too but what’s the point. The guy has only drafted more quality players outside the first round then basicallg every gm out there. Not only is tampa far and away the model team, their prospect pool is as deep as anyone. Has he made a bad trade? I’m sure he has but can anyone point it out?

He's fine. He's just not what I picture as the most endearing candidate. He's a bit of a mercenary. I want somebody that warms by balls. Sather warmed my balls.
With the cigar? Masochist.

But I kinda figured you for one...

The sky is blue. Go ahead and argue.

Kucherov, vaseliski and point should be enough but Of course not. Johnson, palat, cirelli, and gourde could be mentioned too but what’s the point. The guy has only drafted more quality players outside the first round then basicallg every gm out there. Not only is tampa far and away the model team, their prospect pool is as deep as anyone. Has he made a bad trade? I’m sure he has but can anyone point it out?

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/staff/steve-yzerman

Rangers has a compatible draft record. Outside a few guys.

Who would be?

But also, he's the best of the names we've heard.

I’d be fine with some no namer over some of the names out there.

I don’t think Yzerman would take it. Not over anything in Detroit. ...no?