• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lightning Architect Steve Yzerman Interested in Rangers? Top Job

Phil

I'm not going to discount an exec with an excellent track record so far because players in the lead in like in 10 years ago. That has absolutely nothing to do with his job today, and his track record in Tampa speaks for itself.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to discount an exec with an excellent track record so far because players in the lead in like in 10 years ago. That has absolutely nothing to do with his job today, and his track record in Tampa speaks for itself.

Not discounting him. Just saying that I’m skeptical and that he isn’t a slam dunk. The guy knows what he’s doing. I won’t deny that. But it’s well established in league circles that he’s difficult and disliked. Not just in his playing days, but in the present day. Bringing him into an organization and a situation to which he has no ties and there is an established plan in place and already moving maybe requires a moment of pause.

Not saying they shouldn’t. Just saying there are some factors to consider.

Not discounting him. Just saying that I?m skeptical and that he isn?t a slam dunk. The guy knows what he?s doing. I won?t deny that. But it?s well established in league circles that he?s difficult and disliked. Not just in his playing days, but in the present day. Bringing him into an organization and a situation to which he has no ties and there is an established plan in place and already moving maybe requires a moment of pause.

Not saying they shouldn?t. Just saying there are some factors to consider.

I hear you, but I'm just not as concerned.

I also just think he's using NY as leverage.

FYI Lightning mgmt have nothing but praise for him.

I hear you, but I'm just not as concerned.

I also just think he's using NY as leverage.

FYI Lightning mgmt have nothing but praise for him.

That’s my thought somewhat too. And my rationale for thinking he won’t end up here centers more on his toes to the Wings and his family being in Michigan than anything else, but it does concern me. I like what Gorton has done so far and while the jury is still out, I’m concerned about Yzerman coming in and potentially disrupting it.

I’ll be the first to admit though that he could improve the situation too.

I can’t argue with his success. But they still haven’t won a cup and he did inherit a roster that had Stamkos and Hedman already on it. And he’s missed on some high picks too.

That’s my thought somewhat too. And my rationale for thinking he won’t end up here centers more on his toes to the Wings and his family being in Michigan than anything else, but it does concern me. I like what Gorton has done so far and while the jury is still out, I’m concerned about Yzerman coming in and potentially disrupting it.

I’ll be the first to admit though that he could improve the situation too.

I can’t argue with his success. But they still haven’t won a cup and he did inherit a roster that had Stamkos and Hedman already on it. And he’s missed on some high picks too.

This is why I am confused as to why this is even a topic of conversation to begin with. They were clearly handing over the reigns to Gorton to build this team why are they now looking for someone on the outside to be his boss? None of this really makes sense to me.

Unless youre going to replace Gorton as well which is a different discussion.

This is why I am confused as to why this is even a topic of conversation to begin with. They were clearly handing over the reigns to Gorton to build this team why are they now looking for someone on the outside to be his boss? None of this really makes sense to me.

Unless youre going to replace Gorton as well which is a different discussion.

They have the vacancy and are going to fill it. And I doubt that at this point Garden brass would allow or endorse anyone whom they hired to move on from Gorton anytime soon. Nor am I saying that Yzerman would want to do that.

None of us know the day to day situation in the offices there, particularly how big a hand or say the team president has had or will want or have moving forward. I think Gorton has had a fairly high degree of freedom, but Sather also had to approve things too and be the guy between Gorton and Dolan. I do t know what kind of a role Yzerman would be looking for day to day, or if he’d get the type of arrangement he’s looking for from the Rangers.

whats the responsibilities of team pres vs gm? is the pres more involved in the financial aspect of things?

or is he essentially the little finger to the president essentially going thru the personnel, analytics and philosophy of the build and giving the narrative to the owner?

on a side note. i have no problem with yzerman being a prick, and its a good thing that the league knows it. means he's not going to get bent over a table making trades.

• Like 1

whats the responsibilities of team pres vs gm? is the pres more involved in the financial aspect of things?

or is he essentially the little finger to the president essentially going thru the personnel, analytics and philosophy of the build and giving the narrative to the owner?

on a side note. i have no problem with yzerman being a prick, and its a good thing that the league knows it. means he's not going to get bent over a table making trades.

I guess that can vary from organization to organization.

That’s my question too.

Who has final say on trades?

Who has final say on draft picks?

After money approval from ownership, who makes the decision on signings?

Who hires the coaching and scouting staffs?

Final say on the roster?

And what does Gorton have now, and what would Yzerman want for himself?

As for Yzerman being a prick, my concerns are two pronged.

Does his disrupt or improve an ongoing situation that appears to be going in the right direction?

And my lesser concern is do other GM’s/teams avoid dealing with him sometimes because of his reputation?

• Like 1

Yea - this is the question I'd be asking, and I really don't have any idea what the answer is.

JD makes a ton of sense from the marketing/financial/promotional avenue with minor influence on personnel. Yzerman makes sense in the opposite, but I'm having a hard time seeing a good reason for taking any personnel control away from Gorton, at this point.

The rangers need to hire somebody that will completely immerse themselves in upgrading the player development aspect of this organization. Hartford has been a wasteland and honestly an embarrassment. The rangers need Hartford now more than ever. Gorton has done a good job at this point but Hartford is still a mess and I’m not sure it’s his job anyway to concentrate there other than to provide talent. The team president needs to completely overhaul this. Tampa is a model team using their farm to develop. I’m not sure that’s yzerman but he was in charge there for their success. I’m sure he could bring some others with him that has a proven record in development.

The rangers need to hire somebody that will completely immerse themselves in upgrading the player development aspect of this organization. Hartford has been a wasteland and honestly an embarrassment. The rangers need Hartford now more than ever. Gorton has done a good job at this point but Hartford is still a mess and I’m not sure it’s his job anyway to concentrate there other than to provide talent. The team president needs to completely overhaul this. Tampa is a model team using their farm to develop. I’m not sure that’s yzerman but he was in charge there for their success. I’m sure he could bring some others with him that has a proven record in development.

The Tampa farm system thing is so overrated, people act like they developed their entire team in the AHL.

Point - 9 Games

Kucherov - 17 Games

Stamkos - 0 Games

Hedman - 0 Games

McDonagh/Stralman/Sergachev - 0 Games

The guys driving that team never sniffed the AHL. Sure they've done fine with Johnson, Gourde, Cernak...whoever. But those guys are successful because they're allowed to slide into the right roles at the NHL level.. They aren't trying to turn Yanni Gourde and Anthony Cirelli into top liners like NYR tried to do with Cally, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Dawes, etc. etc. etc.

It's drafting talent that's made TBL successful, everything else is a product of htat.

The Tampa farm system thing is so overrated, people act like they developed their entire team in the AHL.

Point - 9 Games

Kucherov - 17 Games

Stamkos - 0 Games

Hedman - 0 Games

McDonagh/Stralman/Sergachev - 0 Games

The guys driving that team never sniffed the AHL. Sure they've done fine with Johnson, Gourde, Cernak...whoever. But those guys are successful because they're allowed to slide into the right roles at the NHL level.. They aren't trying to turn Yanni Gourde and Anthony Cirelli into top liners like NYR tried to do with Cally, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Dawes, etc. etc. etc.

It's drafting talent that's made TBL successful, everything else is a product of htat.

i wouldn't mind finding a way to trade for him.

Holland is staying as SVP.

The Yzerman hate agenda is strong lol.

I know he is

It’s a joke

I didn’t realize Holland was 63. Not a bad time for him to maybe lighten his load

It’s appropriate Yzerman is with the Wings. He played his whole career there, started his front office career there. That’s where he should be

Basic idea as per Larry Brooks in today's epistle; either JD is getting the job when the CBJ go out or ....there is no other plan.Most of what he says here is convention wisdom warmed over; better scouting, more analytics, and less old guy Gord Clark winging it on draft day.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/rangers-all-in-on-john-davidson-gamble-that-now-must-work/

AS ALWAYS; SIMPLY THE REAL FACTS, UNLIKE BROOKS!!

Yzerman to be named Red Wings general manager: report

Won Stanley Cup three times as Detroit captain; Holland to stay as president of hockey operations

cut.jpg

Steve Yzerman will be named general manager of the Detroit Red Wings during a Friday news conference, according to multiple reports.

https://www.nhl.com/news/steve-yzerman-named-detroit-general-manager/c-306889276