• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: Sather Stepping Down as NYR President Soon?

Doubt this means much. Would suspect some of the old time scouts might be ushered out and Drury promoted,Don't see this changing things much. Gorton is still going to run things.

Only curveball; would think John Davidson would love to come back to MSG. Davidson is president of CBJ, not the GM. But Dolan has a very long memory and might still view him as part of the Gutkowski./Checkets regime, no matter how ancient that all is.

I don't have access to the Athletic, but a reddit user who does mentioned that it's because of health issues https://theathletic.com/905172/2019/04/04/zibanejad-grabs-a-deserved-and-coveted-honor-in-his-dynamic-season/

which, regardless of your thoughts on Sather (I appreciate that he started from scratch and helped build us a team worthy of being a competitor for a very good run, but definitely was a fan of him no longer being the GM) is a bad thing and I hope the best for him

I don't have access to the Athletic, but a reddit user who does mentioned that it's because of health issues https://theathletic.com/905172/2019/04/04/zibanejad-grabs-a-deserved-and-coveted-honor-in-his-dynamic-season/

which, regardless of your thoughts on Sather (I appreciate that he started from scratch and helped build us a team worthy of being a competitor for a very good run, but definitely was a fan of him no longer being the GM) is a bad thing and I hope the best for him

That was the first thing I thought of, and unfortunately it seems to be true.

I love the guy.

Here?s a link to @JSportsnet: ?Glen Sather will be retiring by season's end, as President of NYR. He will still be an advisor, but he will not be involved in the day to day operation of the team.

Considering his role in Edmonton and NYC, Sather has to be considered one of the most influential of all time.?

Here’s a link to @JSportsnet: “Glen Sather will be retiring by season's end, as President of NYR. He will still be an advisor, but he will not be involved in the day to day operation of the team.

Considering his role in Edmonton and NYC, Sather has to be considered one of the most influential of all time.”

Will he ever leave

Really don't understand some Rangers fans. Okay so he didn't start it out all that great from the get go, and it took him a few years and a lock out to finally start piecing together a roster that could contend.

Lets not forget that this was a team that was going nowhere with Smith in his post 94 years, and 7 consecutive seasons missing the postseason between Smith and Sather.

Under him this club would win 2 division titles, a presidents trophy, an Eastern Conference title, and was 3 wins away from a Stanley Cup. Maybe my expectations suck, but as a Rangers fan who's seen more crap then good, I'll take that

I don't really understand this role of "President," separate from a GM. Besides making a recommendation to an owner on whether to fire the GM, what does a President really do? I say hire a guy you really trust as the GM and let him run the show, period. That's the way it used to be. Adding another layer of management with vague authority doesn't improve an organization. I suppose having a separate President doesn't hurt when the GM is the President's man, as with Sather-Gorton, but it's bound to create problems when a President is brought in who is not affiliated with the GM in that sense.

As for Slats, he was pretty lucky. Without the fortuitous bolt from the blue in terms of Maloney's 7th round pick of Hank, it would have been about 15 years out of the playoffs, as they were a low rung playoff team from 2006 through 2011. They would have been out without a goalie who was consistently in the top three in the league in that period.