Thread: McDavid challenged emotionally by 'insane season' of change, losing

Senior Member Midget Division

McDavid challenged emotionally by 'insane season' of change, losing

When asked what his frustration level was after the Oilers' post-season hopes officially were extinguished on Monday, the Edmonton star said, "It's really high. It's really, really high.

"It's frustrating. We want to play in the playoffs as a team. I personally want to play in the playoffs. I'm not happy about it. It's going to be a long summer."

The Oilers' third non-playoff season in McDavid's four years was confirmed before Edmonton even finished playing Monday night, losing 3-1 to the Vegas Golden Knights.
    "It's been an insane season, coaching change, GM change, good times and bad times," said McDavid, a 22-year-old native of Newmarket, Ont.
    "It's been a roller-coaster, it's been emotionally challenging, it's been hard mentally to kind of keep on going. But we were always kind of right there. We were close and then we'd drift away."
    "It sucks, obviously," McDavid, the team's captain, said. "It's not good enough all year. We let streaks drag on, times where we couldn't find ways to get wins drag on. You got to find a way to stop the bleeding quick. It's a slim margin of error in this league."
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...lers-1.5081428

--

they spoke of this on nhl radio as well. seems like the frustration meter is rising. not saying change is imminent but if things don't turn around there in 1-2 seasons you could well see him demanding a tix out of town.
    Acqua in bocca

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Yep. Clocks ticking for EDM. Pressures on.

And by th way, they are not going to be good next season. They’re at the cap somehow.
    GORTON 2020

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post

And by th way, they are not going to be good next season. They’re at the cap somehow.
    They're going to have over $10m in space and nobody of consequence to re-sign. They're fine.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yes they have some space. No, they're not fine.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    They're going to have over $10m in space and nobody of consequence to re-sign. They're fine.
    They have to sign 5 players with that money. And that's already penciling in Josh Currie and Colby Cave.

The dire issue is immediate improvement. They are going to have a tough time improving that roster with lack of cap space.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    They're fine lol

They're fucked, is probably more accurate. Especially when you consider the premium attached to luring anybody to Edmonton, and their "system" is entirely bereft of talent. There's no cheap help coming outside of their top pick this year.

day-to-day Midget Division
    Some good phrases that I may steal for my own use.

'it's been emotionally challenging,
    it's been hard mentally to kind of keep on going
    good times and bad times
    It's been a roller-coaster
    but we were always kind of right there
    We were close and then we'd drift away.'

I would have to channel my best Nuke LaLoosh imitation in order to get full effect
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094812/
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post

They have 2 players taking up 21 million. Those 2 players are worth every dime, but you can't have that AND whiff on the rest of your roster. 22m on their defense and it's worse than ours. 6m on Lucic. The contract Chiarelli gave to Koskinen before he got fired. Just way too many mistakes made by incompetent management.

I can't believe they haven't traded Lucic. It would cost them a chunk in assets, but that 6m in cap space is invaluable. They are wasting McDavid, Draisaitl, and to a lesser degree RNH.