• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McDavid challenged emotionally by 'insane season' of change, losing

When asked what his frustration level was after the Oilers' post-season hopes officially were extinguished on Monday, the Edmonton star said, "It's really high. It's really, really high.

"It's frustrating. We want to play in the playoffs as a team. I personally want to play in the playoffs. I'm not happy about it. It's going to be a long summer."

The Oilers' third non-playoff season in McDavid's four years was confirmed before Edmonton even finished playing Monday night, losing 3-1 to the Vegas Golden Knights.

"It's been an insane season, coaching change, GM change, good times and bad times," said McDavid, a 22-year-old native of Newmarket, Ont.

"It's been a roller-coaster, it's been emotionally challenging, it's been hard mentally to kind of keep on going. But we were always kind of right there. We were close and then we'd drift away."

"It sucks, obviously," McDavid, the team's captain, said. "It's not good enough all year. We let streaks drag on, times where we couldn't find ways to get wins drag on. You got to find a way to stop the bleeding quick. It's a slim margin of error in this league."

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/connor-mcdavid-frustration-oilers-1.5081428

--

they spoke of this on nhl radio as well. seems like the frustration meter is rising. not saying change is imminent but if things don't turn around there in 1-2 seasons you could well see him demanding a tix out of town.

Yep. Clocks ticking for EDM. Pressures on.

And by th way, they are not going to be good next season. They’re at the cap somehow.

They're going to have over $10m in space and nobody of consequence to re-sign. They're fine.

They're going to have over $10m in space and nobody of consequence to re-sign. They're fine.

They have to sign 5 players with that money. And that's already penciling in Josh Currie and Colby Cave.

The dire issue is immediate improvement. They are going to have a tough time improving that roster with lack of cap space.

They're fine lol

They're fucked, is probably more accurate. Especially when you consider the premium attached to luring anybody to Edmonton, and their "system" is entirely bereft of talent. There's no cheap help coming outside of their top pick this year.

Some good phrases that I may steal for my own use.

'it's been emotionally challenging,

it's been hard mentally to kind of keep on going

good times and bad times

It's been a roller-coaster

but we were always kind of right there

We were close and then we'd drift away.'

I would have to channel my best Nuke LaLoosh imitation in order to get full effect

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094812/

Yep. Clocks ticking for EDM. Pressures on.

And by th way, they are not going to be good next season. They’re at the cap somehow.

They have 2 players taking up 21 million. Those 2 players are worth every dime, but you can't have that AND whiff on the rest of your roster. 22m on their defense and it's worse than ours. 6m on Lucic. The contract Chiarelli gave to Koskinen before he got fired. Just way too many mistakes made by incompetent management.

I can't believe they haven't traded Lucic. It would cost them a chunk in assets, but that 6m in cap space is invaluable. They are wasting McDavid, Draisaitl, and to a lesser degree RNH.