• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Draft Rankings Thread (TSN, HockeyProspect, etc.)

Drew a Penalty

These things often have to do with momentum as well. Hughes started the season as the undisputed, Dahlin-style clear number one. Now they're neck and neck.

Certainly, if Kakko has a strong showing in grown-up worlds I could see him go first.

I'm actually warming to the idea that the 2nd pick is the best one in this draft. Have someone make the decision for you. Pick 2 will be a no-brainer either way.

Atleast its "risk free". Whatever happens its fine, cause there was no other options. If you pick first and the 2nd pick becomes better, it looks kinda bad. And the fan bases will argue forever (like Matthews/Laine).

I would be confident in the Rangers mgmt picking the wrong player, so maybe the 2nd pick actually would be better.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These things often have to do with momentum as well. Hughes started the season as the undisputed, Dahlin-style clear number one. Now they're neck and neck.

Certainly, if Kakko has a strong showing in grown-up worlds I could see him go first.

I'm actually warming to the idea that the 2nd pick is the best one in this draft. Have someone make the decision for you. Pick 2 will be a no-brainer either way.

I agree.

Could still see the Rangers screwing it up, though.

I see your point, but hopefully Gorton doesn't care about hysterical twitter fans ;)

If Kakko lights up the Worlds, I agree that he could go first - otherwise I'm sure whoever is up there will go for the American franchise/generational center. You can't pass on that.

I see your point, but hopefully Gorton doesn't care about hysterical twitter fans ;)

If Kakko lights up the Worlds, I agree that he could go first - otherwise I'm sure whoever is up there will go for the American franchise/generational center. You can't pass on that.

No, this is obviously from a fans perspective.

Clearly Gorton & co will have one guy rated over the other by some metric or other, so for them having #1 would be preferable.

As a fan, however, having pick #2 would remove the stress of it all.

They are notorious for off the board picks after all you can’t put it past them.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Off the board at 6-10 wouldn’t surprise me at all given their history and if they scout a guy heavily and they love him, it’s fine. If they won a pick 1-3, I’d be very surprised if they went off the board.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-lottery-preview/

2019 NHL Draft Lottery Preview

Steve Kournianos

Has a nice breakdown of odds of teams winning. Below that, he breaks down the teams, needs, recent drafts, prospects, etc.

New York Rangers

GM: Jeff Gorton (7/1/15)

Scouting Director: Gordie Clark

2019 Draft Position: 6th

–Own Winnipeg’s 1st rounder via Kevin Hayes trade (22nd overall)

–Could own Tampa’s 1st rounder in the Lightning win the Stanley Cup (31st overall)

Draft odds

1st Overall: 7.5 %

Top-3 Pick: 23.3%

Lowest: 9th overall

Notes and Trends:

*Have not drafted a Canadian-born CHL’er in any of the last two drafts

*Only one QMJHL’er – Gabriel Fontaine (6th/2017) – since 2015

*They’ve selected eight Swedes and 16 Europeans since 2015

*The Rangers have drafted six goalies over last six drafts – five are still with the organization.

*10 American-born prospects since 2014

*Only one CHL prospect has been a Rangers selection in the first round since 2009 (Dylan McIlrath in 2010).

*It’s been 15 years since they had the chance at this high of a pick. The last time they picked higher than seventh, they took goalie Al Montoya in 2004.

*The Rangers are owners of 10 draft picks in 2020, so moving up by packaging futures is a real possibility.

*Deep all over defense depth chart. They have an abundance of puck movers – Nils Lundkvist, K’Andre Miller, Tarmo Reunanen, Libor Hajek, Neal Pionk, Tony DeAngelo, Sean Day and Joey Keane. They also have mobile shutdown types in Yegor Rykov, Ryan Lindgren, and Brandon Crawley.

Last five 1st Round Picks (2014-2018):

2018: Vitaly Kravtsov-LW (KHL), K’Andre Miller-D (NTDP), Nils Lundkvist-D (SHL)

2017: Lias Andersson-C (SHL), Filip Chytil-C (Extraliga)

2016: NONE

2015: NONE

2014: NONE

Top Prospects

1. Vitaly Kravtsov, Left Wing/Right Wing

2. Igor Shestyorkin, Goalie

3. Libor Hajek, Defenseman

3. K’Andre Miller, Defenseman

4. Tarmo Reunanen, Defenseman

Draft Needs

1. Center: The two best playmaking centers the Rangers have drafted in the last 30 years — Doug Weight in 1990 and Marc Savard in 1995 — became stars for other organization. This is their best chance to select an elite set-up man who can carry their top line for the next decade and beyond.

Available targets: Trevor Zegras, Alex Turcotte, Dylan Cozens, Kirby Dach, Peyton Krebs

2. Scoring Winger: 2018 first-round pick Vitaly Kravtsov is developing into an elite finisher, but he’ll need help if the Rangers want to become a contender again.

Available targets: RW Vasily Podkolzin, LW Matt Boldy, RW Cole Caufield, LW Pavel Dorofeyev

Podkolzin has been listed at 3 on most rankings all season.

There are a few articles/rumors saying that his KHL contract has 2 years left, and he's indicated that he plans to stay in Russia after that contract expires.

I thought he was going to drop, based on the player, prior to reading that. I can see him slipping a ways. Not sure who wants to risk that.

Having our top 2 offensive prospects be russian is a little dangerous although I guess if any team was to do it successfully the Rangers would be that team.

Still, I dont like it.

On a side note- I am typically 100% go for the BPA in the first round however if by the time the Rangers pick the BPA is a defenseman that would really suck.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-lottery-preview/

2019 NHL Draft Lottery Preview

Steve Kournianos

Has a nice breakdown of odds of teams winning. Below that, he breaks down the teams, needs, recent drafts, prospects, etc.

*It’s been 15 years since they had the chance at this high of a pick. The last time they picked higher than seventh, they took goalie Al Montoya in 2004.

Good god what a painful reminder of how bad this team is at drafting in the first round.

Maybe they should just trade all their first rounders for multiple 2nd rounders of the next few years lol (JK obviously)

• 2 weeks later...

Turcotte, boldy and caufield all with 4 points in U18 game vs Slovakia, hughes with 6. USA up 11-5 with 2 minutes left. The top 10 this year is looking solid.

Somehow I cant find anywhere to watch Finland - norway even in Norway, so cant watch Kakko. So far 0 points in 1 game + 1 period, but seen some highlights from the first game and he was just toying with the norwegian guys at times.

Turcotte, boldy and caufield all with 4 points in U18 game vs Slovakia, hughes with 6. USA up 11-5 with 2 minutes left. The top 10 this year is looking solid.

Somehow I cant find anywhere to watch Finland - norway even in Norway, so cant watch Kakko. So far 0 points in 1 game + 1 period, but seen some highlights from the first game and he was just toying with the norwegian guys at times.

Is Kakko playing in this tournament? I thought he was skipping to play in the older one.

Is Kakko playing in this tournament? I thought he was skipping to play in the older one.

He?s only playing the older one. Finland?s senior team played norway yesterday and today in friendly games before the tournament. Kakko played on the 1st line, but had 0 points, Finland won 2-1 and 7-0.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...