Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Draft Rankings Thread (TSN, HockeyProspect, etc.)

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    https://www.tsn.ca/hughes-kakko-in-t...spot-1.1284470

McKenzie's top 15 before the lottery.

#BringZuccsBack Bantam Division rangers02's Avatar
    Overall, Hughes and Kakko are the ones projected to go no.1 and no. 2 in the draft.
    WE GOT KAKKO AND THE BREAD MAN! LET'S GO RANGERS!

#DRIVEFORFIVE

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I'm starting to think Kakko is going to go first. Size and skill would make him my pick if the Rangers were going #1 and I were magically hired to be GM. Obviously, either he or Hughes would be a great get.
    GORTON 2020

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I'm starting to think Kakko is going to go first. Size and skill would make him my pick if the Rangers were going #1 and I were magically hired to be GM. Obviously, either he or Hughes would be a great get.
    That was what I was trying to get at in the other thread. Not that Kakko was tough, but that his style is more fast freight train while Hughes is more precision handling Maserati. Thought the former would suit Quinn better, but we would obviously be desperately grateful for either.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    These things often have to do with momentum as well. Hughes started the season as the undisputed, Dahlin-style clear number one. Now they're neck and neck.
    Certainly, if Kakko has a strong showing in grown-up worlds I could see him go first.

I'm actually warming to the idea that the 2nd pick is the best one in this draft. Have someone make the decision for you. Pick 2 will be a no-brainer either way.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    These things often have to do with momentum as well. Hughes started the season as the undisputed, Dahlin-style clear number one. Now they're neck and neck.
    Certainly, if Kakko has a strong showing in grown-up worlds I could see him go first.

I'm actually warming to the idea that the 2nd pick is the best one in this draft. Have someone make the decision for you. Pick 2 will be a no-brainer either way.
    Atleast its "risk free". Whatever happens its fine, cause there was no other options. If you pick first and the 2nd pick becomes better, it looks kinda bad. And the fan bases will argue forever (like Matthews/Laine).

I would be confident in the Rangers mgmt picking the wrong player, so maybe the 2nd pick actually would be better.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie

I agree.
    Could still see the Rangers screwing it up, though.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Mite Division Rosenvold's Avatar

I see your point, but hopefully Gorton doesn't care about hysterical twitter fans

If Kakko lights up the Worlds, I agree that he could go first - otherwise I'm sure whoever is up there will go for the American franchise/generational center. You can't pass on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    I see your point, but hopefully Gorton doesn't care about hysterical twitter fans

If Kakko lights up the Worlds, I agree that he could go first - otherwise I'm sure whoever is up there will go for the American franchise/generational center. You can't pass on that.
    No, this is obviously from a fans perspective.
    Clearly Gorton & co will have one guy rated over the other by some metric or other, so for them having #1 would be preferable.
    As a fan, however, having pick #2 would remove the stress of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I agree.
    Could still see the Rangers screwing it up, though.
    They are notorious for off the board picks after all you canít put it past them.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    They are notorious for off the board picks after all you can’t put it past them.

Better not be going off the board in top 2.
    At 3, theres a whole bunch they could. Maybe Zegras is considered "off the board", but he's been rising in the second half.

They are notorious for off the board picks after all you can’t put it past them.

I honestly don’t think there’s a chance they go off the board should they get the 2nd pick in this draft.
    Too much between the top 2 and the rest.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar

Off the board at 6-10 wouldn’t surprise me at all given their history and if they scout a guy heavily and they love him, it’s fine. If they won a pick 1-3, I’d be very surprised if they went off the board.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019...ttery-preview/

2019 NHL Draft Lottery Preview

Steve Kournianos

Has a nice breakdown of odds of teams winning. Below that, he breaks down the teams, needs, recent drafts, prospects, etc.

New York Rangers

GM: Jeff Gorton (7/1/15)
    Scouting Director: Gordie Clark

2019 Draft Position: 6th
    –Own Winnipeg’s 1st rounder via Kevin Hayes trade (22nd overall)
    –Could own Tampa’s 1st rounder in the Lightning win the Stanley Cup (31st overall)

Draft odds
    1st Overall: 7.5 %
    Top-3 Pick: 23.3%
    Lowest: 9th overall

Notes and Trends:

*Have not drafted a Canadian-born CHL’er in any of the last two drafts
    *Only one QMJHL’er – Gabriel Fontaine (6th/2017) – since 2015
    *They’ve selected eight Swedes and 16 Europeans since 2015
    *The Rangers have drafted six goalies over last six drafts – five are still with the organization.
    *10 American-born prospects since 2014
    *Only one CHL prospect has been a Rangers selection in the first round since 2009 (Dylan McIlrath in 2010).
    *It’s been 15 years since they had the chance at this high of a pick. The last time they picked higher than seventh, they took goalie Al Montoya in 2004.
    *The Rangers are owners of 10 draft picks in 2020, so moving up by packaging futures is a real possibility.
    *Deep all over defense depth chart. They have an abundance of puck movers – Nils Lundkvist, K’Andre Miller, Tarmo Reunanen, Libor Hajek, Neal Pionk, Tony DeAngelo, Sean Day and Joey Keane. They also have mobile shutdown types in Yegor Rykov, Ryan Lindgren, and Brandon Crawley.

Last five 1st Round Picks (2014-2018):

2018: Vitaly Kravtsov-LW (KHL), K’Andre Miller-D (NTDP), Nils Lundkvist-D (SHL)
    2017: Lias Andersson-C (SHL), Filip Chytil-C (Extraliga)
    2016: NONE
    2015: NONE
    2014: NONE

Top Prospects

1. Vitaly Kravtsov, Left Wing/Right Wing
    2. Igor Shestyorkin, Goalie
    3. Libor Hajek, Defenseman
    3. K’Andre Miller, Defenseman
    4. Tarmo Reunanen, Defenseman

Draft Needs
    1. Center: The two best playmaking centers the Rangers have drafted in the last 30 years — Doug Weight in 1990 and Marc Savard in 1995 — became stars for other organization. This is their best chance to select an elite set-up man who can carry their top line for the next decade and beyond.
    Available targets: Trevor Zegras, Alex Turcotte, Dylan Cozens, Kirby Dach, Peyton Krebs

2. Scoring Winger: 2018 first-round pick Vitaly Kravtsov is developing into an elite finisher, but he’ll need help if the Rangers want to become a contender again.
    Available targets: RW Vasily Podkolzin, LW Matt Boldy, RW Cole Caufield, LW Pavel Dorofeyev

Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Off the board at 6-10 wouldn’t surprise me at all given their history and if they scout a guy heavily and they love him, it’s fine. If they won a pick 1-3, I’d be very surprised if they went off the board.
    why 3rd?

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    why 3rd?
    I would think 1-3 would be set in stone for the Rangers.
    After that is gets cloudy for prospects

who is the obvious 3rd pick?

Podkolzin has been listed at 3 on most rankings all season.
    There are a few articles/rumors saying that his KHL contract has 2 years left, and he's indicated that he plans to stay in Russia after that contract expires.

I thought he was going to drop, based on the player, prior to reading that. I can see him slipping a ways. Not sure who wants to risk that.

Having our top 2 offensive prospects be russian is a little dangerous although I guess if any team was to do it successfully the Rangers would be that team.

Still, I dont like it.

On a side note- I am typically 100% go for the BPA in the first round however if by the time the Rangers pick the BPA is a defenseman that would really suck.

I still take Turcotte/Zegras/Cozens over him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast