• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Set to Sign St. Cloud F Patrick Newell

Phil

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/03/30/new-york-rangers-to-sign-college-free-agent-patrick-newell-report/

?Newell, a Hobey Baker finalist this season, saw a career year playing in his fourth season at St. Cloud State University. He posted 47 points on the year with 21 goals and 26 assists.

The 23-year-old forward is a versatile player who is capable of playing center and on the wing. He joins Jacob Elmer as the newest unrestricted free agents 24-years-old and younger to sign a deal with the Blueshirts.?

(Sorry on my phone)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He is (generously) listed at 5?10 and 150 pounds, which is tiny even by modern NHL standards. That in itself isn?t a dealbreaker, but it?s not certain that he is a dynamic enough player to compensate. His skating and puck skills are just okay.

Corey Pronman of The Athletic did not rank Newell in his top-35 free agent prospects list. While Newell did not make ESPN?s Chris Peters? top-15 NCAA free agents list, Chris later acknowledged to me that he would have made the top-20.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/3/30/18288245/report-rangers-to-sign-hobey-baker-finalist-patrick-newell-st-cloud-state-ncaa-college-hockey

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I feel like it's more unusual for a high school kid to play in college immediately the following season as a 18 year old Freshman. I think most end up playing junior hockey for a year or two before they get the college commitment.

My friend Bob. He was on a 6-year plan when I met him at SUNY New Paltz for a summer course and he was actively trying to figure out how to make his BS into a 7 or 8 year plan. Had no interest in joining the outside world. That was 30 years ago. He might still be there.

Pretty sure I saw a movie about him.