• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kreider, Quinn Cite Injury as Reason for Prolonged Scoring Drought

Phil

?Maybe you and I look at it differently, but I look at this as a guy trying to gut it out through an injury, which is part of being a professional hockey player,? No. 20 told The Post. ?I didn?t do as well or contribute as much as I thought I could and while I don?t think I hurt the team, I didn?t help, either, so I probably shouldn?t have played.

?So as far as management?s evaluation, I?m honestly not worried about this stretch. Plus, it?s a whole season, right??

Kreider, who has gone 10 straight without a goal since Feb. 24, sustained a hamstring injury against the Lightning at the Garden on Feb. 27 in the Blueshirts? first match since the trade deadline, The Post has learned. Monday was the first time the injury had been disclosed.

David Quinn, who had bounced Kreider off Mika Zibanejad?s left side after a couple of inferior post-deadline outings and actually demoted No. 20 to the fourth line to start one game after Kreider had been benched for most of the third period of a previous match, acknowledged the winger ?had battled through an injury, for sure.?

?He?s done everything he can and I give him a lot of credit,? said the coach, whose team faces Detroit at the Garden on Tuesday. ?For a guy who depends on his legs so much, I thought he did a real good job fighting through that lower-body injury and did everything he [could].?

Now Kreider is in McDonagh?s situation, either a couple of months away from a lucrative contract extension ? figure, conservatively, six years at $6.5 million per for the winger who will turn 28 on April 30 ? or a trade in which he would be exchanged for a package of draft picks and prospects/young NHL-ready players.

This is an either/or that will be settled reasonably early. There is not even the slightest chance Kreider will be back for training camp without an extension.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/18/kreider-reveals-reason-he-has-been-so-invisible-for-the-rangers/

I really hate this choice. Kreider has been a different guy since his health scare. He's performed admirably in every game. Not knowing about this injury brought back lots of bad memories of him disappearing from games but I'm going to believe that he was hurt over this last stretch of games. Going forward? (No pun intended.) Speed + skill is a very difficult combination to find and the game has migrated towards that combination. I'd re-sign* Kreider at the expense of the plethora of draft picks, etc. we would get now.

*This assumes the injury is not long-term or that it is expected to hinder his future performance.

If the injury can't be made worse, it's probably not a big deal. Guys play hurt all the time. Playing injured is never a good idea, but playing hurt isn't necessarily a bad thing. Frankly, it probably helps the tank, so I'll happily look the other way on this one.

If the injury can't be made worse, it's probably not a big deal. Guys play hurt all the time. Playing injured is never a good idea, but playing hurt isn't necessarily a bad thing. Frankly, it probably helps the tank, so I'll happily look the other way on this one.

Maybe. Kreider with a hammy twang is probably better than any of the alternatives, though.

I just don't see the point in it.

Injured, hurt, depressed, i dont care. I want to know if you can be effective. The old-Drury conundrum. Sure, playing hurt makes you look tough, but if you are hurt and ineffective, you are a detriment to your team. His play has dipped, but I thought he was still playable. The resident Kreider-microscoper said otherwise. And at this point in the season, sit out, heal, and let a kid take the beating.

Hopefully he has a good season next year and we can dish him off to get a 1st rounder from some unsuspecting team that needs him at the deadline.

No way Oz. They should either sign him or trade him in the off season for a better haul. No point having another Hayes situation next season.

No way Oz. They should either sign him or trade him in the off season for a better haul. No point having another Hayes situation next season.

You know what Gravy man, you're right! We should probably deal him this summer....we might even be able to package him with one of those awful contracts we still have: Staal, Smith, or Shatty. Who knows, we may even score a bigger in the draft this year with it!

New whipping boy on the horizon. NYR lead the entire NHL in whipping boys. In fact, a complete roster could be had with all the NYR whipping boys. Some people, simply put, don't appreciate what pro athletes sacrifice each & every day for the good of the team. Doubt if #20 would be playing if he was " injured ", as they say.

Go Rangers!!

I'm more into going the route of trading him, but only if we could get a real score for him. Not just for the sake of turning everything, but I still think we have a ways to go before this franchise is going to be competitive. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 years. If we sign him to a long term deal, he might turn into one of those bad contracts...I hope I'm wrong but we've all seen his disappearing acts before. I don't think that will progress as he ages.

But I agree, Gravy...this summer may be the high point for this...

i am with you Ffrank i it's a friendly contract ,I would keep him

What's this number?

I hate all long-term contracts in the 4-7m range. Give me a top line player. That's what we need. Love Kreider, but, yes, it must be extremely friendly to re-sign him. I dont know if that is realistic, though.

I do think you try to get this sorted out this summer. Sign or trade. Either trade for a 1st in 2019 or 2020, maybe unload a contact with it, give current prospects/rookies NHL ice-time, leave 2019 picks on current teams, tank for Lafreniere

What's this number?

I hate all long-term contracts in the 4-7m range. Give me a top line player. That's what we need. Love Kreider, but, yes, it must be extremely friendly to re-sign him. I dont know if that is realistic, though.

I do think you try to get this sorted out this summer. Sign or trade. Either trade for a 1st in 2019 or 2020, maybe unload a contact with it, give current prospects/rookies NHL ice-time, leave 2019 picks on current teams, tank for Lafreniere

I’m leaning this way. Certainly if they get a proper haul for him in the summer.

I don't think the likes of Panarin would want to come to a team that is trading the likes of Kreider for less proven younger players who may or may not turn out well several years down the road. Enough burning it down.

What's this number?

even third line nhl veterans players are making four mil or better a year

I don't think the likes of Panarin would want to come to a team that is trading the likes of Kreider for less proven younger players who may or may not turn out well several years down the road. Enough burning it down.

Why? If Panarin and Karlsson are coming, or even just Panarin, I'm pretty sure they understand how the salary cap works and more specifically how that relates to their would-be $11 million-plus contracts. They're not ignorant to the fact it may mean other players, like Kreider, in line for pay increases themselves, might have to get shipped out to make room.

Archived