Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lundqvist

Banned Junior Division

Lundqvist

ThirtyOne gave me an idea.....

where would you rank Henke all time in the NHL? Is he one of the best all-time?

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Yes. Guaranteed first ballot Hall-of-Famer.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Top 10 IMO
    Probably not top 5

Perhaps the greatest ranger of all time

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Moderator BSBH Prospect

Lundqvist

Brodeur
    Roy
    Hasak
    Sawchuk
    Plante

In no particular order, those guys are normally considered top 5. Also have to throw Hall and Dryden into the mix. Maybe Belfour and Furh

Last edited by Puck Head; 03-15-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Top 10 IMO
    Probably not top 5

Perhaps the greatest ranger of all time

I didn't rank him. The OP asked if he's "one of the best." The answer to that is yes. Top-10 for sure. Top-5, maybe. Brodeur being tops on your list, though... fuck that. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Sawchuk, Plante.

Hank, depending on how the rest of his career goes, is in the conversation for topping either of the last two.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I didn't rank him. The OP asked if he's "one of the best." The answer to that is yes. Top-10 for sure. Top-5, maybe. Brodeur being tops on your list, though... fuck that. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Sawchuk, Plante.

Hank, depending on how the rest of his career goes, is in the conversation for topping either of the last two.
    I said no particular order.
    Remember- you spelling grammar and comprehension dork boy

Banned.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Top 25 all time. Somewhere between Fuhr and Barrasso maybe.

His best attribute was consistentcy. One Vezina.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    NhL top 100 of all time had 14 goalies.
    https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centenn...st-nhl-players

Based on hardware, might be hard to justify putting him ahead of 5 of these guys.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Top 25 all time. Somewhere between Fuhr and Barrasso maybe.

His best attribute was consistentcy. One Vezina.
    Should have had more than one. There was a five- or six-year stretch where he was probably the best goalie in the game.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Should have had more than one. There was a five- or six-year stretch where he was probably the best goalie in the game.
    Certainly the most consistent, but rarely the best. Though, often second or third.

I just don't understand how he'd be clearly ranked ahead of guys like CuJo or Belfour. That's debatable certainly, but not necessarily the case in my mind.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    A lot of the guys in that top 100 list, like Johnny Bower, made it on the strength of cup wins, but it's really hard to include cup wins when comparing players from different eras, because in a 31 team era, as opposed to a six team era, a lot of the greatest players are never going to win a cup. I would liken Hank to Tony Esposito, in terms of being one of the top goalies for a sustained period of time without winning a cup. One thing that is really to Hank's credit is that in the current era, a lot of goalies have one or two career years in which they make post season all star teams or win Vezinas but they don't sustain it year to year. Hank and Price have been "sustainers" more than any others over the past 15 years.

It's hard to compare many on the top 100 list to Hank. Bernie Parent was good but not great for about five years, absolutely fantastic for about three, and soon gone due to injury. What would the book on Dryden be liked if he played 14 years instead of 7, with the final 7 with a not so good team?

Here's one thing distinguishing Hank. He is responsible for the modern reviewable goldtender interference rule, having possibly lost his one cup on a terrible no interference call and prompting the rule change.

There's goalies before Patrick Roy, and goalies after Patrick Roy.

The two sides of thst line should never be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    There's goalies before Patrick Roy, and goalies after Patrick Roy.

The two sides of thst line should never be compared.
    I like.

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

day-to-day Midget Division
    Richter is the greatest Ranger goalie of all time. So it all depends on where you slot Richter in the pantheon.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Richter is the greatest Ranger goalie of all time. So it all depends on where you slot Richter in the pantheon.
    Richter is my favorite Ranger of all time but Hank has broken every single one of his records.
    GORTON 2020

day-to-day Midget Division
    In the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals against the Kings, Lundqvist went 0-3 in OT. If Rangers win at least one or two of those OT games, they probably win the Cup.
    Look at Lundqvist's career playoff OT record. 2014 is not an aberration.

Until he wins a Cup, he's not in the conversation.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Richter is my favorite Ranger of all time but Hank has broken every single one of his records.
    Yeah, Richter is the most successful goalie in Rangers history. Lundqvist is the superior player by miles.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    In the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals against the Kings, Lundqvist went 0-3 in OT. If Rangers win at least one or two of those OT games, they probably win the Cup.
    Look at Lundqvist's career playoff OT record. 2014 is not an aberration.

Until he wins a Cup, he's not in the conversation.
    Richter played behind a roster of future HHOF players

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I believe Richter never made a post-season all star team. He was only a Vezina finalist once, in his rookie year, and the following season he ended up back in the minors for a while. The year after we won the cup, he lost his No. 1 position for a while and Healey started the playoffs. He didn't get real HOF consideration that I can recall. He was an excellent goalie and the Rangers won the cup with him, but his career was nothing like Hank's in terms of being one of the top goalies for many years running.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast