Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rangers will be diving into UFA waters,"

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Pavelski would be a 35+ contract with a NMC. In the second year of a similar contract Marleau won't hit 20 goals.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Yeah, but he's Leafs dad. You can't put a price on the way he raises his children.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    AND LIAS.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Iím fine with the opinion of wanting those guys. I get the allure of it to and the benefit. However the idea there is no other path forward is kind of ridiculous. I donít think itís a good idea. Itís my opinion and itís based on watching this team for 30 plus years. Others differ, fine. Weíll see. I just donít get the risk. Because they need to be thoughtful of where this team will be in years 4-7. They are the ones that sent the letter talking rebuild. So are the rebuilding or are they going heavy on high priced ufas this off season? If itís business as usual then proceed. I would imagine the patience for these kids will wear thin because they will new star player windows.
    Well, it's not the only path. It's just the one that's in front of them vs maybe they can land a similar caliber player in 3 years...And we've pretty much illustrated it's highly unlikely.

Rebuilding doesn't mean you don't dive into the UFA pool. It means you don't mortgage the future for the present. Signing Eriksson and Panarin doesn't do that. All they sacrifice is cap, which we have plenty of.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, but he's Leafs dad. You can't put a price on the way he raises his children.

This is why Nylander held out...

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Well, it's not the only path. It's just the one that's in front of them vs maybe they can land a similar caliber player in 3 years...And we've pretty much illustrated it's highly unlikely.

Rebuilding doesn't mean you don't dive into the UFA pool. It means you don't mortgage the future for the present. Signing Eriksson and Panarin doesn't do that. All they sacrifice is cap, which we have plenty of.
    You really think that if the rangers had the cap space they wouldnt land a player of that caliber down the line?

And isn’t it about building a team that can win rather than adding a guy who can excite a fan base?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    You really think that if the rangers had the cap space they wouldnt land a player of that caliber down the line?
    The chances are slim. What happens when they are ready to add the piece and there are no 26 year old studs? You'll complain we signed a 31 year old until he's 38...?
    And isnít it about building a team that can win rather than adding a guy who can excite a fan base?
    You have yourself convinced every move is a marketing ploy. If that's how you feel you may need another hobby until Dolan sells haha.

The chances are slim. What happens when they are ready to add the piece and there are no 26 year old studs? You'll complain we signed a 31 year old until he's 38...? You have yourself convinced every move is a marketing ploy. If that's how you feel you may need another hobby until Dolan sells haha.
    You can get that player in a trade or god for bid in the draft too. I mean this rare talent was traded when he was 25 with two years left under contract for Brendan Saad. So players do become available.

I’m not saying every move is about marketing. I’m saying signing a high ticket guy this summer would be.

X

HNIC BSBH Legend
    You can get that player in a trade or god for bid in the draft too. I mean this rare talent was traded when he was 25 with two years left under contract for Brendan Saad. So players do become available.

Iím not saying every move is about marketing. Iím saying signing a high ticket guy this summer would be.

X
    Trades cost assets. You'd have to surrender the future for the present. The exact thing you're complaining about.

Again ... The draft is an uncertainty. Trying to sign a UFA in 3yrs is uncertainty. A bird in the hand....

Trades cost assets. You'd have to surrender the future for the present. The exact thing you're complaining about.

Again ... The draft is an uncertainty. Trying to sign a UFA in 3yrs is uncertainty. A bird in the hand....
    Three years from now. Three years of building and developing assets. Three years of developing roster and organizational depth from which to trade from. Why is this so hard to understand?

It’s not complaining because I choose not to agree. Nothing has even happened yet. I’ve been consistent here. I wanted the rebuild while we argued over selling why in a playoff spot. I’m all in with it. I’m actually happy with the direction. I want to stay the course. It’s not complaining making my case anymore than it is to want to tank and be pissed when they win. To point out pionk sucks or that the Quinn is dressing 7 defenseman. None of it is whining.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Three years from now. Three years of building and developing assets. Three years of developing roster and organizational depth from which to trade from. Why is this so hard to understand?

Itís not complaining because I choose not to agree. Nothing has even happened yet. Iíve been consistent here. I wanted the rebuild while we argued over selling why in a playoff spot. Iím all in with it. Iím actually happy with the direction. I want to stay the course. Itís not complaining making my case anymore than it is to want to tank and be pissed when they win. To point out pionk sucks or that the Quinn is dressing 7 defenseman. None of it is whining.
    And again, you're arguing what IS today vs what MAY BE in 3 years. You don't know who, if anyone, will be available in 3 years... Or what it will take to get them.

But we know these players, today, only cost money.

A bird in the hand... What's so hard to understand?

Deleted Midget Division
    And again, you're arguing what IS today vs what MAY BE in 3 years. You don't know who, if anyone, will be available in 3 years... Or what it will take to get them.

But we know these players, today, only cost money.

A bird in the hand... What's so hard to understand?
    You both don't understand *each other*.

Reading you both go back and forth was like watching a couple arguing about deal or no deal.

One of you wants to settle with Howie Mandel's case and the other believes there's more money in the pool.

Neither of you are empirically correct and it's simply a matter of philosophy.

With that said I'm inclined to take the deal, myself, but I totally understand it could wind up borking us long term. Heck I'm sort of convinced to go for both panarin and ek.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    I’m down for getting borked in the future
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    You both don't understand *each other*.

Reading you both go back and forth was like watching a couple arguing about deal or no deal.

One of you wants to settle with Howie Mandel's case and the other believes there's more money in the pool.

Neither of you are empirically correct and it's simply a matter of philosophy.

With that said I'm inclined to take the deal, myself, but I totally understand it could wind up borking us long term. Heck I'm sort of convinced to go for both panarin and ek.
    Thanks for the analysis. None of this is news, and these same debates happen here about a variety of topics, daily. Not sure what the point of chiming in with commentary 2 folks having debate, rather than just adding your own opinion is.

I understand his PoV completely. It just doesn't make much sense, especially the parts where Panarin doesn't "move the needle".

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    I'm with Pete in this case. I am all for signing Panarin now for nothing but money, and not giving up any of the players and prospects that we hope will be core parts of the team in the next three years. I'd pass on EK though. Not because of age but more because of injury history. I have no problem committing long term to Panarin to aid this rebuild.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I'm with Pete in this case. I am all for signing Panarin now for nothing but money, and not giving up any of the players and prospects that we hope will be core parts of the team in the next three years. I'd pass on EK though. Not because of age but more because of injury history. I have no problem committing long term to Panarin to aid this rebuild.
    I'm not even 100% I want Panarin, I just don't agree with any argument in this thread otherwise. All that's been said is that he's not that good, and you can just snap up another player like him whenever you want. Both are untrue.

Senior Member Midget Division
    I'm not even 100% I want Panarin, I just don't agree with any argument in this thread otherwise. All that's been said is that he's not that good, and you can just snap up another player like him whenever you want. Both are untrue.
    The only good argument is to dismantle the team further for a more guaranteed high draft pick.

Worst case scenario is having a non-playoff team and a team outside of the top 3 in the draft. I'm good with either going for it or dismantling, but the Rangers need to commit fully to it whichever direction is chosen here. Sitting on your hands and keeping the team how it is, is not a good decision.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The only good argument is to dismantle the team further for a more guaranteed high draft pick.

Worst case scenario is having a non-playoff team and a team outside of the top 3 in the draft. I'm good with either going for it or dismantling, but the Rangers need to commit fully to it whichever direction is chosen here. Sitting on your hands and keeping the team how it is, is not a good decision.
    Sure, this is fair.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

100% agree. The UFA route never works out all that well they need to draft at least one high end talent player on offense. Otherwise thisnrebuild is half assed in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    100% agree. The UFA route never works out all that well they need to draft at least one high end talent player on offense. Otherwise thisnrebuild is half assed in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I'm not entirely sure that's fair. At least not up to this point. Gorton has done everything required to launch a proper rebuild, and the fire sale is done bar a couple of less important pieces in Strome/Names/Vesey. I don't think they've done everything right, but I don't agree that adding a guy like Panarin in the summer means this rebuild is being done half assed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast