• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Overtaking Hughes as the Number One Pick?

Sportsnet Rankings

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

1. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga), 6-foot-2, 194 pounds: Patrik Laine and Jesperi Kotkaniemi have paved the way with a similar career path. There is some thought Kakko could play centre, and if the team picking first believes that, he may very well bypass Hughes.

2. Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-10, 168 pounds: If ? and this is a big IF ? he is a consolation prize, it will be like winning the lottery.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a reason they can't fall to fifth (worst) over the next handful of games. That would give them a 26.1% at a top-three pick and an 8.5% chance at first overall. It's possible.

Either of the top two would be a HUGE step in this rebuild. Cost controlled franchise players.

Which we haven?t had since Leetch?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Either of the top two would be a HUGE step in this rebuild. Cost controlled franchise players.

Which we haven’t had since Leetch?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yup. They've had what they hoped were franchise players who turned out not to be (Brendl, Lundmark —*4th and 9th respectively), but haven't had their own guy in place from the get-go since Leetch. Cherepanov probably would have been, but we all know what happened there.

2.99 GAA and .909 save percentage

above average?

On a team with the 26th-worst goal-differential, who is 30th-ranked in shot attempts (blocked and unblocked). Kind of important qualifiers in the conversation, no?

He's also just outside the top-10 among goalies with at least 1000 minutes played (so, basically starters) in high danger shots against, high danger saves, and high danger save percentage.

But this isn't about Hank. We can talk about that in a new thread, if you want.

On a team with the 26th-worst goal-differential, who is 30th-ranked in shot attempts (blocked and unblocked). Kind of important qualifiers in the conversation, no?

He's also just outside the top-10 among goalies with at least 1000 minutes played (so, basically starters) in high danger shots against, high danger saves, and high danger save percentage.

But this isn't about Hank. We can talk about that in a new thread, if you want.

right...and most of the nights he started, he had his period

I think I'd rather have Kakko than Hughes and have felt that way for quite some time.

You obviously don't need to be a massive unit in the NHL anymore, but Hughes lack of strength scares me (a little bit). I mean I'm sure he'll be a good player, but I wonder if his skating is so good that he'll be able to dominate at the NHL level despite his physical shortcomings.