• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko Overtaking Hughes as the Number One Pick?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like Gorton and Quinn are roughly on the same page for at least the time being re being hard to play against, physical, etc. So while you are probably right, the warning may go unheeded. Exhibit A: the only warm body we get back at Quinn's 1st deadline is Brendan Lemieux.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rangers should pick whoever they feel is the best possible player.

This narrative that Quinn only wants tough guys confuses me. It's as if fans only know of two styles of hockey.

Don't disagree on the choice. But when fans hear the coach stand up after enough games and use words like "grit" and "edge" enough times and enough players a benched enough times for failure to display said qualities, you may not have to be a weatherman (or Scotty Bowman) to tell which way the wind is blowing.

Don't disagree on the choice. But when fans hear the coach stand up after enough games and use words like "grit" and "edge" enough times and enough players a benched enough times for failure to display said qualities, you may not have to be a weatherman (or Scotty Bowman) to tell which way the wind is blowing.

That's a little too simple, I think. Coaches will always talk about "grit" and "edge" because that is what they can influence short-term through sending messages. You can't ask your players to skate faster or shoot more precisely - those are qualities that you work on long-term.

A little of topic, but is Podkolzin a lock for the 3rd pick? I see on his EliteProsepct page that all have him as #3 in the upcoming drafts.

He only played 3 KHL games this season and it looks like Kravtsov had a much better year last year than Podkolzin has this year, so why is he ranked so much higher than Kravtsov was? Is the draft much weaker or am I missing something with Podkolzin?

A little of topic, but is Podkolzin a lock for the 3rd pick? I see on his EliteProsepct page that all have him as #3 in the upcoming drafts.

He only played 3 KHL games this season and it looks like Kravtsov had a much better year last year than Podkolzin has this year, so why is he ranked so much higher than Kravtsov was? Is the draft much weaker or am I missing something with Podkolzin?

I think he drops. His rank is mostly what he did last season, and in a U17 tournament this season.

He's a well-rounded player, checks almost all of the boxes, has good size, all zones, and wears a letter in Russia.

I'm thinking someone takes Byram and Cozens over him.

The Athletic guys aren't as high on him. Wheeler didn't have him in his top 10, Pronman I think had him around 5 or 6.

The draft is supposed to be stronger on forwards than last years class.

I don't know much about Podkolzin but it seems like he performs at a very high level wherever he goes.

The Athletic guys aren't as high on him. Wheeler didn't have him in his top 10, Pronman I think had him around 5 or 6.

The draft is supposed to be stronger on forwards than last years class.

I don't know much about Podkolzin but it seems like he performs at a very high level wherever he goes.

This has been the guy I've been thinking could fall to us if we end up drafting between 5-9. I'm a little nervous about loading up on so many Russian players due to the unpredictability but I thought he looked impressive in the little bit I saw of him in the u-20. I'd take him but I think I'll be in the minority here.

This has been the guy I've been thinking could fall to us if we end up drafting between 5-9. I'm a little nervous about loading up on so many Russian players due to the unpredictability but I thought he looked impressive in the little bit I saw of him in the u-20. I'd take him but I think I'll be in the minority here.

If he drops to the 5-9 range, sure. Not a guy I'd move up to 3 to get. And, I'd expect more "Je ne sais quoi" at 3. Same thing with Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi in the top 5 last season. Good players, but not guys I'd label as future franchise players (which is what the Rangers really need from a top 5 pick)

I certainly take him before Krebs or Boldy, and Dach.

What about Cozens, scouting report on him shows he?s a Quinn type of guy. Big, physical, plays in all zones, has a mean streak. This is what the draftanalyst.com has on him:

Scouting Report

A high-octane power forward who can play both center and wing, Cozens is the reigning WHL Rookie of the Year after leading all freshman with 22 goals and finishing second in points with 53. He combines all aspects of skating ? quickness, acceleration, balance and agility ? into one dynamic package that allows him to dictate things rather than play reactionary. Cozens is a capable stickhandler who can control the puck at high speeds before making proper decisions more times than not, and he?s very good at setting up give-and-go?s that position him for one-timers or tap-ins. He owns an excellent shot, both for its velocity and accuracy, plus he can score on his backhand from in close.

Cozens is very physical and always finishes his checks; at times to a fault, as his desire to mash people into the boards can make him the last forward back on an opposing counterattack. He?s quick enough, however, to eventually catch up and place himself in the right position to ensure there aren?t gaps in coverage. Cozens always keeps his feet moving and keeps his stick active, and his quick turns and pivots allow him to stay with his man, especially while he?s killing penalties. Overall, he?s an excellent 200-foot forward who is very good on draws, can anchor a penalty-killing unit, run a power play and assume top-line duties.

AND he?s a righthanded shot.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like Cozens. Certainly one of my favorites in this draft. I do worry that head to head, Dach has owned him this season.

Also, whl.ca has a great website, they show live games and provide a ton of highlights for games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Just saw in Brooks' article that Hughes was also playing in the World Championships for the USA. Is that confirmed? I couldn't find anything that said he was going to be there. I see his brother is though.

Just saw in Brooks' article that Hughes was also playing in the World Championships for the USA. Is that confirmed? I couldn't find anything that said he was going to be there. I see his brother is though.