• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

General Golf Thread

Vodka Drunkenski

I've got my high school reunion golf outing today. This should be a fucking scream!

Some of these guys playing; the last 2 balls they hit was when they stepped on a rake on their lawn!!! ;)

I'm ditching out around 11am, so I won't get to follow the board today....but I'll give you the scoop on how we did! It's a best ball/scramble setup, mostly so we're not on the course for 12 hours!

I love scrambles. It's my only opportunity to compete in a team at my age.

However, the cheating in these things is out of control. We took a stacked team to a charity tournament this past weekend. We were asked to, to knock off the team that's won it every year. We went -6 on the front, and we're leading by 2. Then the heavens opened up. 1.5" of rain in two hours. We kept going. Shit was brutal, cups were full of water, only 4 or 5 groups stayed out. We only went -1 on the back. Our captain drains a 25 footer on 18 to save a par, we get back to clubhouse and we find out we lost. Same group was -8 on the back, and has left for home already. Fucking joke.

When it comes to scrambles, and there's anything at stake, at all, there needs to be two groups per hole.

Had a scramble tourney on Monday. First time out in ~5 years.

Took a few drives before getting it straight - well, where I wanted it. First 2 were straight but not good drives.

My drives and short game were good by hope 5. Irons were inconsistent. Overall, did better than I expected. Our team wasn’t good. For a scramble, I’m the perfect first hitter. Not incredibly long, but I’ll get a playable ball out there. Allows others to swing a bit more. But when you’re playing my ball a lot, we aren’t going to win.

Yeah, I don't mind playing Fairway finder. I'm not a great scramble player. Even on days I shoot under 80 solo, it's not sexy, just no big mistakes. You need some volatility on a scramble team, guys that hit miracle shits but can't break 90.

Holy shit I totally got caught up in the whole NHL Free Agency threads and forgot to update on this one: Sorry fellas!!

So here's the scoop:

We played an outing for the 2 rival High Schools out here in Suffolk; Sachem High vs. Connetquot...they did their reunion the same week as ours, so we figured, fuck it...why not have a joined outing and make it competitive. I went to Sachem ('85)...yeah I'm old!! LOL

Funny thing is that I played hockey in school and most of the guys were football players. I was on special teams and was the holder for field goals in 10th and 11th grade, so I knew pretty much everyone there....including the Connetquot guys, because a shit ton of them played Dek hockey with us in Centereach after we all graduated.

So we played a 2 man scramble, and my partner, one of my best friend's brother can hit it a ton; a lot longer than I can. I let him bat second, because with my experince, I can hit pretty much any fairway, and then just turn him lose with no pressure. I actually played in the US Open Qualifier back in 2002. That was the first year at Bethpage Black and I was selected to play as an invite, which I'm still very proud of.

I'm not exactly playing to that 1.26 handicap anymore though....probably around 3 these days.

We make it through the first 12 holes at (-1) before Bobby's (my partner) putter gets scorching hot. He knocks in 2 birdies in a row, a par and then 2 more from over 15 feet. Then on our last hole we tag a par 5 in two, and he absolutely finesses a 55 foot snake dead in the jar for eagle to finish (-7) and win the whole fucking thing.

I couldn't make a putt for shit out there! But we hit every single green in regulation, and didn't have to chip all day! That was a first for me in 45 years of playing golf! I have some of the pictures on my facebook page.

Holy fuck, I think that's the most I've ever typed in one post up here ever! :rofl:

I love scrambles. It's my only opportunity to compete in a team at my age.

However, the cheating in these things is out of control. We took a stacked team to a charity tournament this past weekend. We were asked to, to knock off the team that's won it every year. We went -6 on the front, and we're leading by 2. Then the heavens opened up. 1.5" of rain in two hours. We kept going. Shit was brutal, cups were full of water, only 4 or 5 groups stayed out. We only went -1 on the back. Our captain drains a 25 footer on 18 to save a par, we get back to clubhouse and we find out we lost. Same group was -8 on the back, and has left for home already. Fucking joke.

When it comes to scrambles, and there's anything at stake, at all, there needs to be two groups per hole.

Yeah, some of the guys get ridiculous with the "gimmes", and it takes some of the fun out of it with the cheating, but overall it's a pretty fun format because you find yourself in places on the course you wouldn't normally be in.

Had a scramble tourney on Monday. First time out in ~5 years.

Took a few drives before getting it straight - well, where I wanted it. First 2 were straight but not good drives.

My drives and short game were good by hope 5. Irons were inconsistent. Overall, did better than I expected. Our team wasn’t good. For a scramble, I’m the perfect first hitter. Not incredibly long, but I’ll get a playable ball out there. Allows others to swing a bit more. But when you’re playing my ball a lot, we aren’t going to win.

You're the exact leadoff hitter a team needs, Josh!

Most guys at an outing that are trying to compete sometimes don't "Know their roles" out there. Most of the time we're just trying to get drunk and be assholes....but there is an underlying strategy in there someplace!! :rofl:

Ozzy,you seem like the guy who would give gimmes to the other golfers,I mean this in a good way

I am, Lefty!! It's usually to get them out of the way, so they don't step in my line!!! LOL

Especially some of the guys who are putting for a 9 or something....it's like a token of sympathy :rofl:

Edit: Oh dude...welcome back man!! Hadn't seen you in a bit!!!

Ready for the season man? :thumbs:

You're the exact leadoff hitter a team needs, Josh!

Most guys at an outing that are trying to compete sometimes don't "Know their roles" out there. Most of the time we're just trying to get drunk and be assholes....but there is an underlying strategy in there someplace!! :rofl:

knowing the order helps when we're drunk!

I used to have 2 teams that I golfed in tournaments with. me, unorthodox crafty veteran that nails random shots, a good golfer but a scrambler, the long baller. 2) me, solid golfer, lucky as shit hack/cheater, long baller.

We'd only need a few clubs, tee shot, 150 yards or 75 yards, putter.

Monday we had me, a non-golfer, a hacker, and a guy that could hit some decent shots.

Really missed having a solid golfer and a long ball hitter.

The one kid I played with was from the college days, former baseball player that was built like a football player. He just swung so hard and crushed that thing.

I used to have 2 teams that I golfed in tournaments with. me, unorthodox crafty veteran that nails random shots, a good golfer but a scrambler, the long baller. 2) me, solid golfer, lucky as shit hack/cheater, long baller.

Monday we had me, a non-golfer, a hacker, and a guy that could hit some decent shots.

The one kid I played with was from the college days, former baseball player that was built like a football player. He just swung so hard and crushed that thing.

Tough group!! It's rough when you're carrying 2 guys. Sometimes you can get a good shot out of one of them, but it usually comes on top of another guy's good shot. Then it's wasted and you may not get anything out of them for the rest of the day. That type of a group is a "good time" group to me. If I get saddled with a couple of non golfing guys, normally I'll just go out and enjoy the hysterical shit and get smashed.

When I get a big hitter, like Friday...fucking Bobby (my partner) was always a pretty good player; about a 10 handicap. We matched up well, because I can hit greens in regulation from my ball. Playing from his mammoth bombs (280+) was like shooting at an empty net!!

Most of our regulation shots into par 4's were from 120 yards or less! We had one or 2 holes where we were hitting about 130-135...that's about it. We should've come in a ton lower than (-7) but I could simply NOT find the range with the flat stick Friday...AT ALL! Rare, but it happens...Glad he got hot when he did! He saved my ass! ;)

I am, Lefty!! It's usually to get them out of the way, so they don't step in my line!!! LOL

Especially some of the guys who are putting for a 9 or something....it's like a token of sympathy :rofl:

Edit: Oh dude...welcome back man!! Hadn't seen you in a bit!!!

Ready for the season man? :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Next time,just call me

I'm a lefty lol.

All 3 of my kids are lefty. If you hit left in baseball, or shoot left in hockey, why would you golf right?

A couple of the guys I played hockey with are righties and they were lefties in hockey, Dunny. I think back a while ago when we started (70's), finding lefty golf clubs was a lot more difficult.

Dude, it's not the wand, it's the wizard holding it!! LOL

I was coaxed into joining the golf league for work. I just bought whatever was there.

After a few years, I tried a ton of different clubs to see what I liked, but I just like those the best.

I also still use a wood stick for hockey, mostly, so it's completely about feel for me.

I was coaxed into joining the golf league for work. I just bought whatever was there.

After a few years, I tried a ton of different clubs to see what I liked, but I just like those the best.

I also still use a wood stick for hockey, mostly, so it's completely about feel for me.

I still have my Scotty Cameron teryllium II from 1992....I wouldn't ditch that putter for a Bikini model!! It's usually eye appeal or feel, Josh. if it works, it works!