Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 104

Thread: Andersson Lacks "Explosiveness" in Skating and Creativity

  1. #1
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473

    Andersson Lacks "Explosiveness" in Skating and Creativity

    3. New Rule: No more hype from anyone in the organization about Lias Andersson’s great off-the-ice progress because, honestly, it only serves to set up everyone for what at this point is an inevitable and almost immediate letdown.

    This is a player who was rated highly by every organization in the NHL, even if not to the extreme where the Rangers had the center at seventh-overall in 2017. At this still-early stage, however, Andersson’s game in the SEL and for Sweden in international competition has not translated to the Broadway stage.

    Of course there is room for improvement, of course it is ludicrous to write him off at the age of 20 and it serves no purpose to relitigate the draft, but Andersson appears to lack explosiveness in his skating and creativity in his game. Oh, is this the part where I’m bound by law to credit his competitiveness and work ethic?

    Then, too, getting under 10 minutes a night on the fourth line as Andersson was awarded in the three games (declining from 9:16 to 8:57 to 6:59) before being designated as a healthy scratch against the Oilers wouldn’t seem to present the optimum opportunity for success.

    I not only understand Quinn’s commitment to approaching these games as meaningful ones and using the rest of the season as a platform for next season, but endorse it, and won’t the coach sleep easier knowing that?

    But is it honestly the worst idea to give Andersson a shot at playing top-six (maybe with Vladislav Namestnikov and either Ryan Strome or Jesper Fast) and see whether he can elevate his game when surrounded by better players and given more responsibility?

    What is there to lose other than another game?
    https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/ranger...appearing-act/
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,084
    Rep Power
    76
    Solid Brooksy. Feels like he reads this board.

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,221
    Rep Power
    346
    Andersson is tied with Howden in points since Thanksgiving... with a lot less games, a lot less icetime, and, well, linemates...

    Not that superstars like Strome or Namestnikov really help anyone, as indicated by my first line.

    Andersson may lack "explosiveness" and creativity due to Quinn constantly demoting and benching him for "defensive responsibilities". I noted early in pre-season, that Andersson played way to high in the offensive zone; cheating defensively. Then, when the puck would move the other way, you can see him switch to playing on instinct, to [over] thinking the play. Great example of overcoaching a kid and not letting them go out an play. Or we can discuss Chytil, Buchnevich, DeAngelo, Howden after 10 breakfasts, etc
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,694
    Rep Power
    549
    Ruh roh.

    The "Quinn's fault" narrative only took 70 games.

  5. #5
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,382
    Rep Power
    149

    Andersson Lacks "Explosiveness" in Skating and Creativity

    To be fair, Josh has been blasting him since they gave up their first lead of the preseason
    Last edited by Vodka Drunkenski; 03-13-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  6. #6
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,221
    Rep Power
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ruh roh.

    The "Quinn's fault" narrative only took 70 games.
    Let me know when I should notice otherwise.

    Talks well, probably means well. But this season has been a deflating balloon, from every aspect. Hence why we are only looking at Kravtsov and free agency. Literally NO ONE wants to watch this team, after begging to see a “losing team that tries”
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  7. #7
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,221
    Rep Power
    346
    I should add, Quinn has been on the record saying Andersson puts too much pressure on himself, which gets in the way of him playing to his abilities.
    But based on other observations and results, not sure that’s the entire issue.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Let me know when I should notice otherwise.

    Talks well, probably means well. But this season has been a deflating balloon, from every aspect. Hence why we are only looking at Kravtsov and free agency. Literally NO ONE wants to watch this team, after begging to see a “losing team that tries”
    I watch every game and I’m enjoying this team more than the past two years of skirt based teams. It’s refreshing to me to see them play something other than pond hockey.

    If the coach really is the problem than adding Kravtsov and whomever through free agency isn’t going to matter. He will coach out their creativity making them Jed ortmeyer zombies.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    Brooksie is on a tear. Quantity over quality.
    I do think there is some merit to having a good look at Andersson in a top 6 role in these last few games though. We've seen what he can do on a checking line, which is very little. Would be interesting to see what he can do higher in the lineup.

  10. #10
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Brooksie is on a tear. Quantity over quality.
    I do think there is some merit to having a good look at Andersson in a top 6 role in these last few games though. We've seen what he can do on a checking line, which is very little. Would be interesting to see what he can do higher in the lineup.
    Or damning. Especially if he's equally as disappointing there, too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,699
    Rep Power
    35
    I've seen a bunch here about Quinn's selective enforcement of "the right way" in terms of doling out ice time or healthy scratches etc...

    I'm curious how he should be teaching? I suppose hands on, learn from mistakes on the fly may work, but who's to say its more or less effective then learning the same lesson from the box and/or losing your ice time? As for the selective enforcement, it sure seems to be there, but I also think its begin applied to the players the collective management has indicated will be the guys to carry the load over the next handful of year. I'm totally fine with Chytil, ADA, Anderson, Howden and the like... learning the hard way if it makes them better players in 2021 (not to say it will work, but Quinn calls the shots, not me) .. I really don't give a shit about Staal, Shatty, Pionk and guys like that. They are required bodies, not the go forward foundation.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Or damning. Especially if he's equally as disappointing there, too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Absolutely, but we'd learning something from that experiment either way.

  13. #13
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Absolutely, but we'd learning something from that experiment either way.
    Sure, but in a lost year. Which works against them should they then opt to move on this summer.

    "He couldn't even produce in your top-six on a team with no pressure to perform. Why should I want him on my team?" — other GMs


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #14
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,694
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Let me know when I should notice otherwise.

    Talks well, probably means well. But this season has been a deflating balloon, from every aspect. Hence why we are only looking at Kravtsov and free agency. Literally NO ONE wants to watch this team, after begging to see a “losing team that tries”
    I think you're just projecting your feelings on to others. If you don't mind wins and losses, this has been an entertaining year of hockey, especially pre-deadline.

    How many times was Phil pissed about moral victories and loser points? They were in alot of games. It was fine.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Sure, but in a lost year. Which works against them should they then opt to move on this summer.

    "He couldn't even produce in your top-six on a team with no pressure to perform. Why should I want him on my team?" — other GMs


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    As opposed to....what exactly?
    Not saying you're wrong, I just don't think there's anything to lose from giving him a run. Anyone trading for him in the summer would be doing it with the belief they can unlock his potential. I don't think an unsuccessful stint in the top 6 of a terrible team will have much impact, if any, on his trade value should they choose that route.

  16. #16
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    As opposed to....what exactly?
    Not saying you're wrong, I just don't think there's anything to lose from giving him a run. Anyone trading for him in the summer would be doing it with the belief they can unlock his potential. I don't think an unsuccessful stint in the top 6 of a terrible team will have much impact, if any, on his trade value should they choose that route.
    I guess I'd much rather he find some level of success in the bottom six before I go all in by forcing him up in the top six in the hope that he shows something, anything. Failure there, right now, strongly pushes him toward "bust."

    Even in not doing anything in the bottom six, there's still plausible deniability to lean on right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #17
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think you're just projecting your feelings on to others. If you don't mind wins and losses, this has been an entertaining year of hockey, especially pre-deadline.

    How many times was Phil pissed about moral victories and loser points? They were in alot of games. It was fine.
    No need for past tense. I'm still pissed about them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #18
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I guess I'd much rather he find some level of success in the bottom six before I go all in by forcing him up in the top six in the hope that he shows something, anything. Failure there, right now, strongly pushes him toward "bust."

    Even in not doing anything in the bottom six, there's still plausible deniability to lean on right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Fair enough. Personally, I don't think we're fooling anyone with Andersson either way.
    Any trade for him will be based on someone believing they can tap into his potential, something the Rangers so far have failed to do. It's a change of scenery type deal. I don't think anything that happens between now and the end of the regular season changes that.

  19. #19
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,221
    Rep Power
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think you're just projecting your feelings on to others. If you don't mind wins and losses, this has been an entertaining year of hockey, especially pre-deadline.

    How many times was Phil pissed about moral victories and loser points? They were in alot of games. It was fine.
    Most of the GDTs are "I'm not watching" or "Only here for Lemieux"
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  20. #20
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Fair enough. Personally, I don't think we're fooling anyone with Andersson either way.
    Any trade for him will be based on someone believing they can tap into his potential, something the Rangers so far have failed to do. It's a change of scenery type deal. I don't think anything that happens between now and the end of the regular season changes that.
    You're probably right. It's probably more a case of me just not wanting to use my last bullet when I am basically expecting him to fail at that, too, you know?
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •