• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Andersson Lacks "Explosiveness" in Skating and Creativity

Phil

3. New Rule: No more hype from anyone in the organization about Lias Andersson?s great off-the-ice progress because, honestly, it only serves to set up everyone for what at this point is an inevitable and almost immediate letdown.

This is a player who was rated highly by every organization in the NHL, even if not to the extreme where the Rangers had the center at seventh-overall in 2017. At this still-early stage, however, Andersson?s game in the SEL and for Sweden in international competition has not translated to the Broadway stage.

Of course there is room for improvement, of course it is ludicrous to write him off at the age of 20 and it serves no purpose to relitigate the draft, but Andersson appears to lack explosiveness in his skating and creativity in his game. Oh, is this the part where I?m bound by law to credit his competitiveness and work ethic?

Then, too, getting under 10 minutes a night on the fourth line as Andersson was awarded in the three games (declining from 9:16 to 8:57 to 6:59) before being designated as a healthy scratch against the Oilers wouldn?t seem to present the optimum opportunity for success.

I not only understand Quinn?s commitment to approaching these games as meaningful ones and using the rest of the season as a platform for next season, but endorse it, and won?t the coach sleep easier knowing that?

But is it honestly the worst idea to give Andersson a shot at playing top-six (maybe with Vladislav Namestnikov and either Ryan Strome or Jesper Fast) and see whether he can elevate his game when surrounded by better players and given more responsibility?

What is there to lose other than another game?

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/rangers-will-remember-this-chris-kreider-disappearing-act/

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andersson is tied with Howden in points since Thanksgiving... with a lot less games, a lot less icetime, and, well, linemates...

Not that superstars like Strome or Namestnikov really help anyone, as indicated by my first line.

Andersson may lack "explosiveness" and creativity due to Quinn constantly demoting and benching him for "defensive responsibilities". I noted early in pre-season, that Andersson played way to high in the offensive zone; cheating defensively. Then, when the puck would move the other way, you can see him switch to playing on instinct, to [over] thinking the play. Great example of overcoaching a kid and not letting them go out an play. Or we can discuss Chytil, Buchnevich, DeAngelo, Howden after 10 breakfasts, etc

Ruh roh.

The "Quinn's fault" narrative only took 70 games.

Let me know when I should notice otherwise.

Talks well, probably means well. But this season has been a deflating balloon, from every aspect. Hence why we are only looking at Kravtsov and free agency. Literally NO ONE wants to watch this team, after begging to see a “losing team that tries”

I should add, Quinn has been on the record saying Andersson puts too much pressure on himself, which gets in the way of him playing to his abilities.

But based on other observations and results, not sure that’s the entire issue.

Talks well, probably means well. But this season has been a deflating balloon, from every aspect. Hence why we are only looking at Kravtsov and free agency. Literally NO ONE wants to watch this team, after begging to see a “losing team that tries”

I watch every game and I’m enjoying this team more than the past two years of skirt based teams. It’s refreshing to me to see them play something other than pond hockey.

If the coach really is the problem than adding Kravtsov and whomever through free agency isn’t going to matter. He will coach out their creativity making them Jed ortmeyer zombies.

Brooksie is on a tear. Quantity over quality.

I do think there is some merit to having a good look at Andersson in a top 6 role in these last few games though. We've seen what he can do on a checking line, which is very little. Would be interesting to see what he can do higher in the lineup.

Brooksie is on a tear. Quantity over quality.

I do think there is some merit to having a good look at Andersson in a top 6 role in these last few games though. We've seen what he can do on a checking line, which is very little. Would be interesting to see what he can do higher in the lineup.

Or damning. Especially if he's equally as disappointing there, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I've seen a bunch here about Quinn's selective enforcement of "the right way" in terms of doling out ice time or healthy scratches etc...

I'm curious how he should be teaching? I suppose hands on, learn from mistakes on the fly may work, but who's to say its more or less effective then learning the same lesson from the box and/or losing your ice time? As for the selective enforcement, it sure seems to be there, but I also think its begin applied to the players the collective management has indicated will be the guys to carry the load over the next handful of year. I'm totally fine with Chytil, ADA, Anderson, Howden and the like... learning the hard way if it makes them better players in 2021 (not to say it will work, but Quinn calls the shots, not me) .. I really don't give a shit about Staal, Shatty, Pionk and guys like that. They are required bodies, not the go forward foundation.

Absolutely, but we'd learning something from that experiment either way.

Sure, but in a lost year. Which works against them should they then opt to move on this summer.

"He couldn't even produce in your top-six on a team with no pressure to perform. Why should I want him on my team?" ? other GMs

Talks well, probably means well. But this season has been a deflating balloon, from every aspect. Hence why we are only looking at Kravtsov and free agency. Literally NO ONE wants to watch this team, after begging to see a ?losing team that tries?

I think you're just projecting your feelings on to others. If you don't mind wins and losses, this has been an entertaining year of hockey, especially pre-deadline.

How many times was Phil pissed about moral victories and loser points? They were in alot of games. It was fine.

Sure, but in a lost year. Which works against them should they then opt to move on this summer.

"He couldn't even produce in your top-six on a team with no pressure to perform. Why should I want him on my team?" — other GMs

As opposed to....what exactly?

Not saying you're wrong, I just don't think there's anything to lose from giving him a run. Anyone trading for him in the summer would be doing it with the belief they can unlock his potential. I don't think an unsuccessful stint in the top 6 of a terrible team will have much impact, if any, on his trade value should they choose that route.

As opposed to....what exactly?

Not saying you're wrong, I just don't think there's anything to lose from giving him a run. Anyone trading for him in the summer would be doing it with the belief they can unlock his potential. I don't think an unsuccessful stint in the top 6 of a terrible team will have much impact, if any, on his trade value should they choose that route.

I guess I'd much rather he find some level of success in the bottom six before I go all in by forcing him up in the top six in the hope that he shows something, anything. Failure there, right now, strongly pushes him toward "bust."

Even in not doing anything in the bottom six, there's still plausible deniability to lean on right now.

I think you're just projecting your feelings on to others. If you don't mind wins and losses, this has been an entertaining year of hockey, especially pre-deadline.

How many times was Phil pissed about moral victories and loser points? They were in alot of games. It was fine.

No need for past tense. I'm still pissed about them.

I guess I'd much rather he find some level of success in the bottom six before I go all in by forcing him up in the top six in the hope that he shows something, anything. Failure there, right now, strongly pushes him toward "bust."

Even in not doing anything in the bottom six, there's still plausible deniability to lean on right now.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't think we're fooling anyone with Andersson either way.

Any trade for him will be based on someone believing they can tap into his potential, something the Rangers so far have failed to do. It's a change of scenery type deal. I don't think anything that happens between now and the end of the regular season changes that.

Most of the GDTs are "I'm not watching" or "Only here for Lemieux"

Fair enough. Personally, I don't think we're fooling anyone with Andersson either way.

Any trade for him will be based on someone believing they can tap into his potential, something the Rangers so far have failed to do. It's a change of scenery type deal. I don't think anything that happens between now and the end of the regular season changes that.

You're probably right. It's probably more a case of me just not wanting to use my last bullet when I am basically expecting him to fail at that, too, you know?

“Top six role with Jesper Fast and Vlad Namestnikov.”

Holy fuck that’s a sad statement.

I have no problem with a player earning his time. Frankly he hasn’t been noticeable since that shorty breakaway goal in preseason. So, until then, he doesn’t get rewarded when other players are playing better an equally trying to prove something.

?Top six role with Jesper Fast and Vlad Namestnikov.?

Holy fuck that?s a said statement.

I have no problem with a player earning his time. Frankly he hasn?t been noticeable since that shorty breakaway goal in preseason. So, until then, he doesn?t get rewarded when other players are playing better an equally trying to prove something.

Does he deserve it? No.

But I don?t subscribe to this idea of 100% black & white meritocracy. As a general rule, sure, you earn your ice.

But sometimes you have to make roster moves to try and coax something out of a player who isn?t getting it together. I see no harm in giving Andersson a go alongside better players to see if he can gain some jump and confidence.

Does he deserve it? No.

But I don’t subscribe to this idea of 100% black & white meritocracy. As a general rule, sure, you earn your ice.

But sometimes you have to make roster moves to try and coax something out of a player who isn’t getting it together. I see no harm in giving Andersson a go alongside better players to see if he can gain some jump and confidence.

That’s fine. My opinion is they’re giving him that chance just by having on the NHL team. He’s not an NHL player yet from what I’ve seen.

Uncle Larry, while making the obligatory qualifications about it still being early, clearly doesn't believe Lias has the talent to be a major NHL player, now or later. I wish I could disagree with him, but I just don't see the flashes of an elite player that you can expect to come together and be seen more consistently as he develops. If you had to bet your house on the question will Lias be a top six forward in the NHL, you would be foolish to bet that he will. It's far less than a 50-50 proposition.