• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Phil

?Well, they?re in a rebuild. There?s no doubt about that,? began McKenzie. ?That?s why they traded Kevin Hayes, that?s why they traded Mats Zuccarello, that?s why they?ve made the moves that they?ve made. So they?re loading up on picks, and they?re trying to inject more youth into their lineup.

?But it?s kind of a soft rebuild, if you want to call it that. Because don?t be surprised if this summer, when Artemi Panarin is there in free agency, the Rangers are there with bags of money saying, ?Come see us, come play with us.? Because it is New York, and they don?t want this to be an all-day sucker, if you will, that?s going to take five, six, seven years.

?They knew they needed to change gears and start accumulating draft picks and young players, and they?ve started to do that. But they?re going to also do other things, and that is dip into free agency or any player that?s available in a trade - a hockey trade - they?re going to look at all of those things because they want to get better in a hurry.?

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/3/11/mckenzie-rangers-want-to-get-better-in-a-hurry

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess i should start listening to Edmonton TSN 1260 to get my Ranger news. Lord knows you never hear it on Sirius or local N.Y. Radio.

That being said its the least known secret in the NHL that he'd like to come to N.Y. and that we'd most like to have him.

He's going to have a bunch of suitors.

Rangers are going to have to probably offer him $11 million per year while teams in no tax states can offer about $9 million per year.

Rangers are going to have to probably offer him $11 million per year while teams in no tax states can offer about $9 million per year.

I think that's probably close...maybe $10.5 a year for 7 years. Dude's been a PPG player since he stepped foot in this league. I still think the NYC draw is huge...especially to European players. I'd love to see him part of this team.

Taxes are pro rated, so the local tax rate is only applied to half, and the difference is not that big. Still, an $11 million offer from NYR would be the equivalent of perhaps a $10.5 offer from a no tax team, which is only five teams in the league (Florida, Tampa, Nashville, Dallas, and Arizona). I'd be a little more worried about the Islanders catching his fancy if they look like they are much closer to being a contender, but there is a decent chance their bubble is bursting, or a least deflating a bit.

Salary cap continues to increase

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26113818/nfl-increases-salary-cap-1882m-2019

Key for me is number of years.

https://www.nhl.com/player/artemi-panarin-8478550

My guess is someone is going to offer 7 years.

Can Rangers be competitive with a max contract for four or five years? If less salary in year 6? Is a no move cause required?

Since Panarin will be in demand, his agent is going to be able to get a sweet deal.

I don't want to be in a buyout situation in year 6 because of a NMC. Resist the shiny toy if the price is too steep. Which is not something Rangers management has been good with in the past.

Why would he take a four year deal?

Can almost hear him laughing from here.

Why wouldn't he?

He's 27. A max deal is 20% of the cap. So thats...16.75m/y in 2019-20. He probably won't get that - but there's a certain wisdom in taking a 3-4 year deal at, say, 14-ish m/y and betting on himself.

He takes the 7 year, 70m now, or he can take 4/55 (or whatever) and bet on himself being able to do better than 3y/15m on his deal at age 31. Probably a safe bet, and frankly, it's how a 26-27 year old FA should actually play this game to maximize dollars.

It's a win win. Dude gets a sick payday, team gets less commitment against the cap.

I fear anything short term. It would encourage management to go all-in 1 last (first) time with Henrik.

I'm not super in on the idea of going all-in, but if we happen to pull the draft lottery out of our ass, our team could look VERY different next year in a pretty positive way.

We still don't have a defense, though.

I'm not super in on the idea of going all-in, but if we happen to pull the draft lottery out of our ass, our team could look VERY different next year in a pretty positive way.

We still don't have a defense, though.

Having better forwards will help the D.

So will Karlsson. If you're going after Panarin, you might as well go for EK.

Having better forwards will help the D.

So will Karlsson. If you're going after Panarin, you might as well go for EK.

I'm not at all enthused by the idea of going after EK. I'm starting to think he's playing on one leg, and damn it if we're going to be the ones with the frigging brinks truck without that certainty.

I'd watch the shit out of a team like the one below, though. Plucking Panarin basically ensures Vladdy and Vesey can take a hike though - and I bet we can get a solid enough defender or two for either/both.

Panarin-Zibanejad-Chytil

Kreider-Hughes-Kravtsov

Vesey-Strome-Buchnevich

Lemieux-Andersson-Fast

Why wouldn't he?

He's 27. A max deal is 20% of the cap. So thats...16.75m/y in 2019-20. He probably won't get that - but there's a certain wisdom in taking a 3-4 year deal at, say, 14-ish m/y and betting on himself.

He takes the 7 year, 70m now, or he can take 4/55 (or whatever) and bet on himself being able to do better than 3y/15m on his deal at age 31. Probably a safe bet, and frankly, it's how a 26-27 year old FA should actually play this game to maximize dollars.

It's a win win. Dude gets a sick payday, team gets less commitment against the cap.

Exactly. Thanks.

Exactly. Thanks.

Sounds great in theory no doubt about it but how many times does it happen this way when another offer is 7+ years for more total guaranteed money up front?

He could also get more than 10 per on a long term deal. (Personally I wouldn't do that high a number)