Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 480

Thread: McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

  1. #21
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    807
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Exactly. Thanks.
    Sounds great in theory no doubt about it but how many times does it happen this way when another offer is 7+ years for more total guaranteed money up front?

    He could also get more than 10 per on a long term deal. (Personally I wouldn't do that high a number)

  2. #22
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,694
    Rep Power
    323
    Not at max money. That's not going to happen.

  3. #23
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,221
    Rep Power
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Exactly. Thanks.
    But what’s the point? Just being a fluffer?
    Not long enough to be around when the teams competitive, not cheap enough to be able to add other necessary pieces to be competitive
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #24
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    807
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    But whatís the point? Just being a fluffer?
    Not long enough to be around when the teams competitive, not cheap enough to be able to add other necessary pieces to be competitive
    Yeah then there's that as well.

  5. #25
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,926
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    But what’s the point? Just being a fluffer?
    Not long enough to be around when the teams competitive, not cheap enough to be able to add other necessary pieces to be competitive
    Doesn't have to be us.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  6. #26
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    Honestly, if I were him, I'd strongly consider the Islanders and use the Rangers as financial leverage.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #27
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    23
    The CBC guys have never bought into the rebuild narrative with the Rangers. They are too fixated on the history of the Rangers as impatient big spenders. McKenzie doesn't know anything about Gorton's intended game plan that we don't.

  8. #28
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,036
    Rep Power
    473
    I mean, he's gone exactly one offseason without being one, so they're not exactly wrong for thinking that. And that same summer (last), the team was linked to Kovalchuk.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #29
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    37
    And they’ve been linked to panarin and ek for almost a year before they hit ufa. This is a big summer for this franchise. Is it diferent this time or more of the same that leads to nowhere? This is not the summer to buy big ticket ufas. That’s guys aren’t the last big ufas to ever come around. Cap space is so crucial for this team once they get a strong nucleus of elcs in the lineup and producing. Maybe the following summer probably a year after that. Patience is key. Hopefully Gorton has more than most here.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I mean, he's gone exactly one offseason without being one, so they're not exactly wrong for thinking that. And that same summer (last), the team was linked to Kovalchuk.
    Linked by... Bob McKenzie and his pals. There was no evidence that Gorton was interested in Kovalchuk last summer or put in a bid.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    37
    Also panarin is a fantastic player. However heís on a very solid team right now with a shit Ton more talent then the rangers will have next year or maybe even two years from now. What has that gotten Columbus? They traded away their future to try and grab an 8 seed? Why will him coming here make such a big difference that he has never proven to give his prior teams? Itís not a knock on him necessarily but without a good team around him heís not going to move the needle that much. Connor McDavid canít do it why will panarin?
    Iím not giving a max contract to a winger almost ever. Ovi years ago maybe Kucherov now thatís it. Gorton should pass. Smart gms would pass. Well run serious franchises would pass. Panarin as a max player is as bad as it gets

  12. #32
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    37
    Only thing worse would be signing a one legged defenseman who can’t stay on the ice to a max contract. This summer is a dangerous time. This summer could easily wash away another decade and 54 years starts to short

  13. #33
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    66
    To be honest there is no "Henrik-window". This team requires such a massive roster turnaround to be an actual contender that it seems incredibly unlikely that they will contend for the Stanley Cup in the next 2 years. With or without Panarin.
    I would say that if they're going for Panarin it would have to be for the long term, with a view to contending within 3-5 years.

  14. #34
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,694
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Honestly, if I were him, I'd strongly consider the Islanders and use the Rangers as financial leverage.
    No UFA is gonna want to deal with the arena issues.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,801
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    And they’ve been linked to panarin and ek for almost a year before they hit ufa. This is a big summer for this franchise. Is it diferent this time or more of the same that leads to nowhere? This is not the summer to buy big ticket ufas. That’s guys aren’t the last big ufas to ever come around. Cap space is so crucial for this team once they get a strong nucleus of elcs in the lineup and producing. Maybe the following summer probably a year after that. Patience is key. Hopefully Gorton has more than most here.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I get the idea of building a strong nucleus but you have to have some guys that've been around before as part of the team. Yeah, maybe Panarin isn't really what this team needs next season, but the following seasons, when the youth movement starts maturing, he is an asset that can help push the team to the next step. I also think that with Buchnevich, Krasvtov, and Shestyorkin (and possibly Podkolzin) it's not the worst thing in the world to have a successful, veteran, Russian as part of the mix.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Only thing worse would be signing a one legged defenseman who can’t stay on the ice to a max contract. This summer is a dangerous time. This summer could easily wash away another decade and 54 years starts to short
    Definitely agree with this. I thought he was damaged goods back when the Sens moved him. I also think that's why the return was somewhat less than what was expected. Karlsson before the injury I'm all in on. This version of him however, I pass on.

  16. #36
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,694
    Rep Power
    549
    He's got 45 points in 52 games...

  17. #37
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,221
    Rep Power
    346
    Very rarely are you going to have names like Panarin and Karlsson hit free agency. Sure, you saw JT go, but that was poor maneuvering by the Islanders. Everyone knew he was leaving.
    In the past few seasons, the big names have been underwhelming 2017 - Shattenkirk, 2016 - Lucic, 2015 - no one, 2014 - Stastny and Ryan Miller, 2013 - David Clarkson, 2012 - Parise
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  18. #38
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,084
    Rep Power
    76
    I see the Rangers really have three options here:

    1) Rip it down further. Trade Kreider and/or Zibanejad - probably both. Commit to making this team bad enough to get a top 2-3 pick for 1-2 years. Increase your chances of getting a franchise player through the draft greatly.

    2) Stand pat. Stay too competitive to challenge for a top 2-3 pick, but not competitive enough to challenge for a playoff position.

    3) Use available cap space to sign UFA. Panarin, EK, maybe both. Attempt to increase the talent level of the team quickly to turn it into a playoff contender. Supplement with prospects we have drafted over the last few years.

    I'd like to think most would agree option 2 is not good. We don't want to be stuck in no man's land for 3-5 years waiting to get lucky. I'm personally good with option 1 or 3, but we can't have it both ways by keeping our good players and going for a top 2-3 pick. It's not going to happen. Tear it down completely or supplement with UFA. Do NOT settle in the middle with this picking 6th-14th kind of garbage and hoping to get lucky. You'll get more Lias Andersson's in that range before you find a NHL ready franchise player to build around.

    Disclaimer: No, it doesn't mean you can't find a franchise player in that range. The odds just aren't nearly as high.

  19. #39
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,694
    Rep Power
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I see the Rangers really have three options here:

    1) Rip it down further. Trade Kreider and/or Zibanejad - probably both. Commit to making this team bad enough to get a top 2-3 pick for 1-2 years. Increase your chances of getting a franchise player through the draft greatly.

    2) Stand pat. Stay too competitive to challenge for a top 2-3 pick, but not competitive enough to challenge for a playoff position.

    3) Use available cap space to sign UFA. Panarin, EK, maybe both. Attempt to increase the talent level of the team quickly to turn it into a playoff contender. Supplement with prospects we have drafted over the last few years.

    I'd like to think most would agree option 2 is not good. We don't want to be stuck in no man's land for 3-5 years waiting to get lucky. I'm personally good with option 1 or 3, but we can't have it both ways by keeping our good players and going for a top 2-3 pick. It's not going to happen. Tear it down completely or supplement with UFA. Do NOT settle in the middle with this picking 6th-14th kind of garbage and hoping to get lucky. You'll get more Lias Andersson's in that range before you find a NHL ready franchise player to build around.

    Disclaimer: No, it doesn't mean you can't find a franchise player in that range. The odds just aren't nearly as high.
    That's a pretty large generalization though. It really depends on the draft. Lias draft class just looks meh right now.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,084
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's a pretty large generalization though. It really depends on the draft. Lias draft class just looks meh right now.
    It's not though: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-spe...lues-1.1119528



    There's a lot of variance and in some drafts you have a greater chance of getting lucky in that range, but generally speaking you need at least 1 top 3 pick to show for it if you're going to miss the playoffs for a while.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •