• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Phil

With the Rangers getting #2 overall and most likely drafting Hughes or Kaako, do you think this is the year that they make a move and give an offer sheet to Marner? Rangers willing to bite the bullet that they wouldn't be a lottery team for the next 4-5 years if everything goes according to plan if they think Kaako can play on the top 9 next season, Panarin signs, and maybe trade a Kreider for a D man?

No. In fact, I think the second overall makes it less likely they offer sheet, period. Gotta find room over the next three-to-five for some combination of Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Kakko or Hughes, Chytil, Kravstov, and probably Panarin, too. Subtract Kreider for a defenseman (Trouba) and you've still got a top-six ready to go.

The only way they go this route is for a defender, and I'm not so sure they need to. Trouba can probably be had. Not cheap, but I think Winnipeg will be willing to talk shop. They can't afford to keep him anyway.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot see a reasonable scenario in which they are contenders next year. At best they’re a bubble team or a low seed that loses in 1st round.

What I’m actually hoping for is another year of futility and a lottery pick that opens the door to 15 years of contention.

Like Pittsburgh

I think, and my hope, is that they aren't quite a lottery team, but still don't make the playoffs and weigh their chances in teh first-round again. If they end up with like the 8th or 9th pick, so be it. It's an extremely deep draft. They'll still get incredible quality to add to a growing list.

Toronto would match any sheet, with Matthews on a good deal.

How??? According to spotrac, Toronto has $6.3 million available in cap space for next year. They're going to have to make moves before free agency opens to free up cap space to sign Marner, and probably an additional 3-4 players to fill out the roster. Im not a cap guru so maybe someone else can confirm on the status of the Leafs cap situation next season, and even if signing Marner to X dollars, Panarin, would fit under the cap for the Rangers for next season.

How??? According to spotrac, Toronto has $6.3 million available in cap space for next year. They're going to have to make moves before free agency opens to free up cap space to sign Marner, and probably an additional 3-4 players to fill out the roster. Im not a cap guru so maybe someone else can confirm on the status of the Leafs cap situation next season, and even if signing Marner to X dollars, Panarin, would fit under the cap for the Rangers for next season.

They'll be active at the draft. It's impossible to gauge what space they're going to have until after the draft.

No. In fact, I think the second overall makes it less likely they offer sheet, period. Gotta find room over the next three-to-five for some combination of Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Kakko or Hughes, Chytil, Kravstov, and probably Panarin, too. Subtract Kreider for a defenseman (Trouba) and you've still got a top-six ready to go.

The only way they go this route is for a defender, and I'm not so sure they need to. Trouba can probably be had. Not cheap, but I think Winnipeg will be willing to talk shop. They can't afford to keep him anyway.

Agreed. I am wondering how much bearing it has on other things as well. It makes it more palatable to trade Kreider, and perhaps it influences what they are thinking they might try to do in free agency. As much as all of the talk has been on Panarin, maybe their eyes shift more towards EK instead since they will have another guy in Kakko or Hughes to add to their top 6/9 immediately which was unexpected.

Eliotte Friedman thinks Rasmus Ristoleinen can be had. He'd be my another target. Talented, player with an edge. Cheaper to get than Trouba.

I hate trading too six forwards for dman ,but I am with you pete ,he would be a better choice

No. In fact, I think the second overall makes it less likely they offer sheet, period.

I'd say the exact opposite lol. An offer sheet doesn't make sense if you're still going to be bad, because you need those picks. But with Kakko on an ELC for the next 3 years, and all the youth in the system, an offer sheet is a lot more palatable. An offer sheet is a win now move, and the #2 overall expedites the rebuild tremendously.

I don't think any of the RFAs are going to get away but...

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Kakko - Chytil - Marner

Lemieux - Lias - Kravtsov

Namest - Howden - Fast

I'm not going to pass up that opportunity.

I hate trading too six forwards for dman ,but I am with you pete ,he would be a better choice

Risto isn't going to cost a top-6 forward, unless it's a 2nd/3rd line player (like Niederreiter whe he was traded). He's noticeably worse than Trouba, and he hasn't developed at all. Don't get tricked by points, he's not a #1 D man. His production is a lot like Pionk's was in the beginning of the year...product of TOI and PP time.

He can play on the top pair with a true #1 - like Skjei, I think - but he doesn't change much for this team.

I'd say the exact opposite lol. An offer sheet doesn't make sense if you're still going to be bad, because you need those picks. But with Kakko on an ELC for the next 3 years, and all the youth in the system, an offer sheet is a lot more palatable. An offer sheet is a win now move, and the #2 overall expedites the rebuild tremendously.

I don't think any of the RFAs are going to get away but...

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Kakko - Chytil - Marner

Lemieux - Lias - Kravtsov

Namest - Howden - Fast

I'm not going to pass up that opportunity.

I'd rather sign Panarin and save the draft picks that would go for Marner.

Risto isn't going to cost a top-6 forward, unless it's a 2nd/3rd line player (like Niederreiter whe he was traded). He's noticeably worse than Trouba, and he hasn't developed at all. Don't get tricked by points, he's not a #1 D man. His production is a lot like Pionk's was in the beginning of the year...product of TOI and PP time.

He can play on the top pair with a true #1 - like Skjei, I think - but he doesn't change much for this team.

He also plays on a noticeably worse team.

There's alot to like about his talent. He could be a late bloomer and cost less than Trouba.

I'm less worried about cost given their cap and futures situation, and much more with quality of player. In this case, I take the known quality over the unknown. Trouba > Ristolainen.
I'd argue neither is known. Put Trouba in Buffalo and RR on Winnipeg and what do you have? Still unknown.

Risto has 0 instincts on defense and in the NZ and plays a step slower than he could, physically. We know this, regardless of the players around him.

This was before last season, but...

DfDJPG1UEAEtGVY.png:large

The zone entry defense is really, really bad, and not a product of teammates.

I'd argue neither is known. Put Trouba in Buffalo and RR on Winnipeg and what do you have? Still unknown.

That's fair, I guess. But I like what I've seen with Trouba in regards to his ability to play up and down the Jets' lineup with no discernible downside with who he skates next to.

Ristolainen, who I agree is very difficult to judge fairly given the quality of team he's played on, just doesn't give me that same sense of security. Then again, I argued in favor of Skjei's long-term deal, so what the fuck do I know?

Me too.

Same logic though, Kakko makes it a lot more sensible to sign Panarin than otherwise.

From my point of view, the push for Panarin is because the Rangers lack a forward of "franchise player quality" that is highly skilled. No disrespect to Zibanejad, who has been growing into a franchise player lite. Assuming Kakko meets expectations, then he helps fill that need. At the very least, it improves the outlook by a lot and reduces the need to spend money on one.

There's nothing wrong with pursuing him still, but it makes me wonder more about using the money for defense (EK?) rather than continuing to add forwards.

From my point of view, the push for Panarin is because the Rangers lack a forward of "franchise player quality" that is highly skilled. No disrespect to Zibanejad, who has been growing into a franchise player lite. Assuming Kakko meets expectations, then he helps fill that need. At the very least, it improves the outlook by a lot and reduces the need to spend money on one.

There's nothing wrong with pursuing him still, but it makes me wonder more about using the money for defense (EK?) rather than continuing to add forwards.

Counter: do both.

interesting posts. Zibanejad is def franchise player lite and the reason we didn't win some cups during the run cause we had 1a, 1b centers and a 1b sniper.

i concur on staying the course. now's not the time to give out the offer sheet and give up future picks. believe we will see improvement next year but the big push will happen in 20/21 and 21/22. can see them doing the offer sheet in 21/22