Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: McKenzie: "Rangers want to get better in a hurry,"

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I get the feeling the fire sale is done now. They'll probably move guys like Namestnikov and Strome, possibly Vesey and/or Fast, but the teardown is done and they'll be looking to add quality players. Whether that is a better strategy than 1) remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I get the feeling the fire sale is done now. They'll probably move guys like Namestnikov and Strome, possibly Vesey and/or Fast, but the teardown is done and they'll be looking to add quality players. Whether that is a better strategy than 1) remains to be seen.
    I do agree that they are probably going option 3. I'm also good with moving any one of those guys you have mentioned, and those are all guys I think they could move pretty easily to free up cap space. I really do think they will go all in on Panarin and Karlsson. Whether they get either is another question entirely.

The list of FA defensemen are terrible outside of Karlsson, and the only way this team becomes a playoff team is if the defense is improved. I think Rangers management knows this, which makes me wonder if Karlsson is the guy they'll go hardest after. He is having a good year, with a ridiculous and abnormally low shot percentage leading to barely any goals. His point total is around a career average pace however.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    It's not though: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-spe...lues-1.1119528

There's a lot of variance and in some drafts you have a greater chance of getting lucky in that range, but generally speaking you need at least 1 top 3 pick to show for it if you're going to miss the playoffs for a while.
    I'm not really interested in 1990, though. I think the most you can go back is probably 10 years. What are the differences since web 2.0, the age of social media...shit, cell phones? Information is just better these days and there is way more of it.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He's got 45 points in 52 games...
    So he's missed 17 games already and he's saying he'll be back for the playoffs. That means he'll miss close to 30 games this year.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    So he's missed 17 games already and he's saying he'll be back for the playoffs. That means he'll miss close to 30 games this year.
    That's your takeaway from that? OK...

Karlsson is out with a groin injury. It has nothing to do with his foot...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's your takeaway from that? OK...
    There's no question that he's a talented player still. But he's the type of guy that the Rangers sign and then plays half the year each year of the contract.

Of course ek is way better but the rangers already have ada, Shattenkirk, and pionk who are all basically play the same role. They are all deficient defenders while their supposed strength is offensive. I’m not sure the d needs another in that mold without ridding themselves of at least two of the others. Also adding ek also makes Shattenkirk completely useless as he would no longer be on the power play which is supposed only redeeming quality. So to me anyway ek has huge injury questions and mileage on him and on top of that he’s really not a great fit. They more need guys to stabilize their defense, that is not ek.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Very rarely are you going to have names like Panarin and Karlsson hit free agency. Sure, you saw JT go, but that was poor maneuvering by the Islanders. Everyone knew he was leaving.
    In the past few seasons, the big names have been underwhelming 2017 - Shattenkirk, 2016 - Lucic, 2015 - no one, 2014 - Stastny and Ryan Miller, 2013 - David Clarkson, 2012 - Parise
    This year also has Duchene, Pavelski, lee, and others.

Next year
    Pieterangelo
    Hall
    Backstrom

Both hall and pieterangelo would be better signings then panarin or ek. Not to mention the rangers would be further into the rebuilding process and would get more prime years out of them while hopefully being relevant.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post

Next year
    Pieterangelo
    Hall
    Backstrom

Both hall and pieterangelo would be better signings then panarin or ek. Not to mention the rangers would be further into the rebuilding process and would get more prime years out of them while hopefully being relevant.
    Completely disagree.

I'd take Panarin/Karlsson over Hall/Pietrangelo all day long and twice on Sunday.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I get the idea of building a strong nucleus but you have to have some guys that've been around before as part of the team. Yeah, maybe Panarin isn't really what this team needs next season, but the following seasons, when the youth movement starts maturing, he is an asset that can help push the team to the next step. I also think that with Buchnevich, Krasvtov, and Shestyorkin (and possibly Podkolzin) it's not the worst thing in the world to have a successful, veteran, Russian as part of the mix.

Definitely agree with this. I thought he was damaged goods back when the Sens moved him. I also think that's why the return was somewhat less than what was expected. Karlsson before the injury I'm all in on. This version of him however, I pass on.
    Rangers have plenty of vets who have been around and they can add plenty that don’t take 11m at 7 years.
    For some reason ufas signings is like going shopping with my kids. People act like they will be the last good players available. Next year there will be others and so forth forever. It’s just my opinion but they should build the foundation and spend big when they are ready and what’s needed becomes available. There are multiple problems with this situation. The rangers aren’t close to ready to contend. Ek has huge risk and doesn’t fit what they need. Panarin is a wing who has shown no ability to be the guy anywhere he’s been.

The only reason to sign them is for a broadway buzz. To cause some excitement within the fan base and to justify ridiculous seat pricing. Sure justified reasons. They are the same reasons the rangers have used forever. It’s also never worked.
    Last edited by Fatfrancesa; 03-12-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Completely disagree.

I'd take Panarin/Karlsson over Hall/Pietrangelo all day long and twice on Sunday.
    Agree to disagree. No point going on about it. Hall is superior to panarin in my opinion and pieterangelo is a better fit with two good legs

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie

Next year
    Pieterangelo
    Hall
    Backstrom

I don't think this list helps your point.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

That’s fine. I don’t really think panarain or ek at this point with his injuries move the needle very much either. I don’t want any of them at the moment. 2020 maybe.

And if I had to choose I’d take Duchene over any of them and I really don’t like him either. He’s basically been a poison pill to success everywhere yet his teammates all seem to speak highly of him. My point is that none of them will make that big a difference other than saddling the team with a massive contract that restricts their opportunities to take advantage in the future. What is the upside here? They may make a run at an 8 seed? Panarin can come here and score 40 and they still will suck for the foreseeable future. Same with ek coming and playing like he did three years ago. Downside is that ek already showing his wear and tear and panarin is older than most when hitting ufa. Both have realistic risks of being albatross contracts three to four years from now. Probably more likely than not. So right about the time this team may finally be turning the corner these contracts fuck it all up. That possibility at the benefit of what? 8-10 place? No thanks.

Brad Richards was another elite guy that made it to ufa. The entire league waited in line to meet with him. Two three years later he’s passing through waivers and the rangers are buying him out. Only difference now is that there is no amnesty buyouts now, and at least with Richards there was an actual upside. They were trying to win. Signing these two is not trying to win it’s trying to sell tickets and false hope. And it will do the exact opposite of the title of this thread.

It’s a hard cap league. You can’t tear it all down, have to rebuild your entire farm system and buy your way into contention in a year of two. It won’t work. There is no guarantee they will draft right but it’s the only way.

That’s fine. I don’t really think panarain or ek at this point with his injuries move the needle very much either. I don’t want any of them at the moment. 2020 maybe.
    So... next season??

Summer 2020. Maybe

And if I had to choose I’d take Duchene over any of them and I really don’t like him either. He’s basically been a poison pill to success everywhere yet his teammates all seem to speak highly of him. My point is that none of them will make that big a difference other than saddling the team with a massive contract that restricts their opportunities to take advantage in the future. What is the upside here? They may make a run at an 8 seed? Panarin can come here and score 40 and they still will suck for the foreseeable future. Same with ek coming and playing like he did three years ago. Downside is that ek already showing his wear and tear and panarin is older than most when hitting ufa. Both have realistic risks of being albatross contracts three to four years from now. Probably more likely than not. So right about the time this team may finally be turning the corner these contracts fuck it all up. That possibility at the benefit of what? 8-10 place? No thanks.

Brad Richards was another elite guy that made it to ufa. The entire league waited in line to meet with him. Two three years later he’s passing through waivers and the rangers are buying him out. Only difference now is that there is no amnesty buyouts now, and at least with Richards there was an actual upside. They were trying to win. Signing these two is not trying to win it’s trying to sell tickets and false hope. And it will do the exact opposite of the title of this thread.

It’s a hard cap league. You can’t tear it all down, have to rebuild your entire farm system and buy your way into contention in a year of two. It won’t work. There is no guarantee they will draft right but it’s the only way.
    I am interested to hear your rationale for preferring Duchene over Panarin. Up until this season he had never been a PPG or close to it. His production was more on a Stepan level. Panarin's been basically a 30 g PPG player his whole career. Just doesn't seem close.

Duchene is a great add for next years draft. #lafreniere

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I am interested to hear your rationale for preferring Duchene over Panarin. Up until this season he had never been a PPG or close to it. His production was more on a Stepan level. Panarin's been basically a 30 g PPG player his whole career. Just doesn't seem close.
    My rational is that I don’t want either. My only point is that Duchene can be had for far less money and probably less term. He is a two way center man not a winger. The rational is that you may get value for Duchene at 6 or 7m compared to panarain at 11. Duchene will signing on a low while panarain is at a high. Either way I dont want either player at all. Signing either will piss me off.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast